FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   London Hotel Recommendations (newer consolidated thread) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1906260-london-hotel-recommendations-newer-consolidated-thread.html)

EaglesFan0909 Apr 26, 2018 2:53 pm

London Hotel Recommendations (newer consolidated thread)

Hi Everyone!

I have been a long-time follower and have learned a TON from this community, but I am struggling...I cannot find a hotel in London that looks appealing [to me]. I'll be flying over for the Eagles game October 26-29. About 750 people signed up for a group trip that will be staying at the Hilton and Intercontinental (Park Lane).

My go-to strategy is to first find a really cool/modern/luxurious hotel with a bit of elbow room and preferably, a really cool shower and usable room layout. Service is important to me, too.

If I cannot find something unique, I usually stay at Hilton/Curio for their consistency.

In terms of price, I’m not shy to break out the wallet but what I am seeing so far in London, I’d rather save a few bucks and stay at a Hilton. $1,000+ per night for 400 square feet, a run-of-the-mill bathroom and no view is kind of a buzzkill.

I stumbled across this thread from 2013 and there seems to be an interesting debate on luxury hotels.

'London Luxury Hotel' - I can't post a URL.

Any updated experiences?

I do have one more issue…dress code. My girlfriend and I are definitely part of the casual crowd. We prefer flying under the radar than being flashy. Regardless, we do ‘fit the part’ when it’s needed, but in my opinion, this is simply a hotel, which is a place to sleep; we’re not attending a once-in-a-lifetime business pitch or sponsoring a gala. Will this be an issue for us?

Thanks so much for your help! Happy AND safe traveling!

obscure2k Apr 26, 2018 3:58 pm

Welcome to Flyertalk, EaglesFan0909 There is quite a lengthy discussion on London hotels in this thread. Please take a look.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxu...ury-hotel.html
Obscure2k
Luxury Hotels and Travel

Buster Apr 26, 2018 4:25 pm

As you sort through the megathread that Obscure2K referenced, I'll make a few quick suggestions for you to review in the thread: The Beaumont, which is right near Bond Street tube (take the Jubilee line to Wembley), The Halkin (long walk, or bus to Green Park for the Jubilee line) or the Firmdale chain. I think the service is best at The Beaumont, but the rooms are not big. The Halkin is good value luxury, and the Firmdale chain is quirky and unusual. All of these are likely to be less that $1K a night, and you won't feel out of place being casual.

FlyerEC Apr 26, 2018 4:58 pm

Welcome to FlyerTalk eaglesfan0909 !

From what you say , The Halkin might suit your needs . We often stay at The Halkin , the rooms suites are a decent size as like you , I need space for rooms as well as bathrooms - besides cool air conditioning ;) .
We have always appreciate the service we received .

EaglesFan0909 Apr 26, 2018 7:56 pm

Thank you, Obscure2k! Oddly enough, on my version of safari, the page 'navbar' at the bottom of the window did now show; I somehow stumbled upon that thread in Chrome which worked. Also, I'm not sure if it's just me, but after staying on a FT page for awhile, it 'shuts down.' The 'nerd' in me took a look and the site is throwing a few errors - on both Safari and Chrome.

Anyway, back to it. Thank you Buster and FlyerEC! I saw the Halkin but instead of going 50%, I want the best. Seems like the hotel is good but not great. It's my first time in London so I minus well do it 100%! Looks like the Connaught or the Beaumont are the frontrunners as of now. The Lanesborough, in my opinion, looks horrendous. I notice that many FT'ers cautioned booking a 'suite' since they are either smaller, on a lower level or not updated. Price aside, does anyone have any specific rooms that they have enjoyed?

Also, side note, does anyone recommend a car service in London that they have used? I'd like to get a driver for a day or two. Thanks!

FlyerEC Apr 26, 2018 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by EaglesFan0909 (Post 29688184)
Thank you, Obscure2k! Oddly enough, on my version of safari, the page 'navbar' at the bottom of the window did now show; I somehow stumbled upon that thread in Chrome which worked. Also, I'm not sure if it's just me, but after staying on a FT page for awhile, it 'shuts down.' The 'nerd' in me took a look and the site is throwing a few errors - on both Safari and Chrome.

Anyway, back to it. Thank you Buster and FlyerEC! I saw the Halkin but instead of going 50%, I want the best. Seems like the hotel is good but not great. It's my first time in London so I minus well do it 100%! Looks like the Connaught or the Beaumont are the frontrunners as of now. The Lanesborough, in my opinion, looks horrendous. I notice that many FT'ers cautioned booking a 'suite' since they are either smaller, on a lower level or not updated. Price aside, does anyone have any specific rooms that they have enjoyed?

Also, side note, does anyone recommend a car service in London that they have used? I'd like to get a driver for a day or two. Thanks!

MacMyDay can let you know which suites to stay at Connaught . We stayed in a fairly spacious one last year which was one of the renovated - “ cool & modern “ . The other was classic / traditional with a tiny bathroom .
The other ‘ modern ‘ bathroom was alright but only half the size at best of all the bathrooms we have had at Halkin ;) - brubin may chime in about this too .

The public areas at Connaught are not minimalist modern if that is what you are looking for though

the_etk Apr 26, 2018 11:37 pm

On our last trip down to London we stayed a night at the intercontinental and a night at the Royal Lancaster which is just across the park from it.

We were very, very impressed with the RL, while it’s not really a true luxury hotel by the definition of this forum (neither is the IC) the hard product is unbeatable, especially at this price point. We stayed in one of their executive rooms and paid something like £280 a night for a very good modern room on the 12th floor with spectacular views across the city. Bathroom was excellent too.

The only room which impressed me more in London was a suite we had at the Four Seasons last year. That cost around £3,000 a night though I suppose it should have.

It may may not be quite what the OP is after as the service won’t be up to the level of the Connaught, FS, etc. But for a great room at a very reasonable price it’s a really good choice.

QPRfan Apr 27, 2018 2:20 am

-- --

EaglesFan0909 Apr 27, 2018 7:52 am

Originally Posted by FlyerEC (Post 29688473)
MacMyDay can let you know which suites to stay at Connaught . We stayed in a fairly spacious one last year which was one of the renovated - “ cool & modern “ . The other was classic / traditional with a tiny bathroom .
The other ‘ modern ‘ bathroom was alright but only half the size at best of all the bathrooms we have had at Halkin ;) - brubin may chime in about this too .

The public areas at Connaught are not minimalist modern if that is what you are looking for though

I've been following MacMyDay - seems like an extremely knowledgable individual! Sounds like he/she loves the Connaught, so I'd be interested to hear which suites are worth pursuing. Fo some reason, I can't quite remove The Halkin from my list :)

Originally Posted by the_etk (Post 29688641)
On our last trip down to London we stayed a night at the intercontinental and a night at the Royal Lancaster which is just across the park from it.

We were very, very impressed with the RL, while it’s not really a true luxury hotel by the definition of this forum (neither is the IC) the hard product is unbeatable, especially at this price point. We stayed in one of their executive rooms and paid something like £280 a night for a very good modern room on the 12th floor with spectacular views across the city. Bathroom was excellent too.

The only room which impressed me more in London was a suite we had at the Four Seasons last year. That cost around £3,000 a night though I suppose it should have.

It may may not be quite what the OP is after as the service won’t be up to the level of the Connaught, FS, etc. But for a great room at a very reasonable price it’s a really good choice.

I just took a look at the Royal Lancaster and it looks cool! The Park Suite looks...sweet! But, at $2,700 per night for 597 square feet, it seems a bit rich. I do love the decor, windows and bathroom, though. I feel like at that rate, I minus well seek out other hotels - maybe I'm wrong?

That brings me to...which Four Seasons did you stay at and do you remember which suite? I was looking at the Four Seasons Park Lane because that's where other Philadelphians are staying (Next door at the Hilton and Intercontinental) for the weekend of the American Football game. I thought it would be fun being near everyone. I see there is also the 'FOUR SEASONS HOTEL LONDON AT TEN TRINITY SQUARE' - is that too far out of the way? It looks beautiful! I have never stayed at a Four Seasons so it would be a first.

Also, which Intercontinental did you stay at? The 'London Suite' at the Park Lane location looks pretty cool, but again, is it worth the price compared to other luxury hotels in the area? That is the question!

I don't mind spending a few thousand a night but as I hinted above, I'd rather not spend thousands a night for something subpar and small; I'd rather spend more for something spectacular. I've never been to London so it would be fun to do it right, at least once! Unfortunately, The Mews at the Connaught are not available - they look spectacular! I was offered the Terrace Suite but at $9,600 a night, in October, what's the point of having a terrace?!

I just realized that I totally bombarded you with questions - sorry! You have been a great help and I look forward to passing on the knowledge.

Originally Posted by QPRfan (Post 29688941)
Hotel Cafe Royal will be what you want, it is about $550 per night over those dates, the entry level room is almost 350 square feet, and I thought the bathroom was very impressive. No view though! Booking via LHW/Virtuoso will get benefits

Yes! This place looks amazing! How was the service? The Dome suite looks intriguing, even though it'll be on the cooler side temperature wise (I was sold when I saw the fire pit!). The fact that there are three bedrooms is neat, too. I didn't think about this until now, but my girlfriends parents could come as well as one other couple. He works for the Swire's too so that wouldn't be such a bad thing since he's somewhat familiar with the area (But not hotels) and has colleagues in London.

Thanks again, everyone. Much appreciated!!

QPRfan Apr 27, 2018 8:03 am

-- --

EaglesFan0909 Apr 27, 2018 8:29 am

Originally Posted by QPRfan (Post 29689651)
I thought the service at the Hotel Cafe Royal was good, though I didn't have any specific requests. Breakfast was excellent, though I can see that a new restaurant is about to open there, so the F+B offerings appear to be changing. The only reason we haven't been back is that we now have a little person, and arriving by train the Landmark is opposite so this is simply easier.

Personally, I think that part of the appeal of the Connaught is it's quiet location, but if you haven't been to London then being in the centre of action can be more attractive.

Awesome - thanks! Since we live in Philadelphia and walk 15,000 to 20,000 steps [easily] per day, I don't think being a touch away from the action will be a problem. I also feel comfortable walking around alone, even in cities I am not too familiar with. I guess that came with being born and raised in not the nicest of ares! haha I just see it as an experience!

MacMyDay Apr 27, 2018 8:46 am

Originally Posted by EaglesFan0909 (Post 29689617)
I've been following MacMyDay - seems like an extremely knowledgable individual! Sounds like he/she loves the Connaught, so I'd be interested to hear which suites are worth pursuing.

I did win brains of the year in primary school, but sadly I was 15 years old at the time.

I agree with what you're saying, that basically all basic room categories in London are not worth it. I think that is the case in most developed cities. In The Peninsula Paris, going from a Superior Suite to a Deluxe made a massive difference to the stay, and in London I think you really want to be aiming at a suite. If you want to splash the cash then there are certainly a fair few speciality suites around.

I am actually in The Connaught right now. Yes, I do love it, even if it is not perfect. Who did you ask about The Mews? They may be reserving it for repeat guest right now, so I'm sure I could ask on your behalf and see if it's genuinely available. I've not had a chance to stay in The Mews yet, but I've stayed in The Library Suite and Terrace Suite twice, and every other room at least once, including The Apartment. Out of them all, I would pick The Mews and Library Suite. The Terrace Suite just doesn't feel that luxurious, except having your own key card to access your own floor; it's not even that large when you discount the size of the terrace.

Luckily for you, I also put together this handy guide: Which room to stay in at The Connaught? ? The Good, The Bad and The Luxurious

My fiancee used to work at both The Connaught and Cafe Royal, so I know both properties rather well - particularly the behind the scenes. Cafe Royal is not even in the same league of The Connaught, and absolutely would not be considered legitimate competition - except in Cafe Royal's owners dreams. I think they are on their 3rd GM in three years, which will tell you something. The best competition to The Connaught is The Lanesborough. I've stayed in a few suites at The Lanesborough, but the decor offends my palette so much that even then I don't like them, but I still love the property.

The Beaumont's Roosevelt Suite is a great suite and one of the best in London I've stayed in.

The Bulgari has 4 Bvlgari Suites, which are really impressive.

You can go through my Flickr and find photos from a lot of London properties: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132880658@N07/albums

Kagehitokiri Apr 27, 2018 9:20 am

budget for great looking high level suites?

bvlgari might be a good bet
one aldwych may be decent value
soho house hotels can be great value
shangri la has height for views

suites might include >
townhallhotel.com/rooms/demontfortsuite

EaglesFan0909 Apr 27, 2018 9:59 am

Originally Posted by MacMyDay (Post 29689820)
I did win brains of the year in primary school, but sadly I was 15 years old at the time.

I agree with what you're saying, that basically all basic room categories in London are not worth it. I think that is the case in most developed cities. In The Peninsula Paris, going from a Superior Suite to a Deluxe made a massive difference to the stay, and in London I think you really want to be aiming at a suite. If you want to splash the cash then there are certainly a fair few speciality suites around.

I am actually in The Connaught right now. Yes, I do love it, even if it is not perfect. Who did you ask about The Mews? They may be reserving it for repeat guest right now, so I'm sure I could ask on your behalf and see if it's genuinely available. I've not had a chance to stay in The Mews yet, but I've stayed in The Library Suite and Terrace Suite twice, and every other room at least once, including The Apartment. Out of them all, I would pick The Mews and Library Suite. The Terrace Suite just doesn't feel that luxurious, except having your own key card to access your own floor; it's not even that large when you discount the size of the terrace.

Luckily for you, I also put together this handy guide

My fiancee used to work at both The Connaught and Cafe Royal, so I know both properties rather well - particularly the behind the scenes. Cafe Royal is not even in the same league of The Connaught, and absolutely would not be considered legitimate competition - except in Cafe Royal's owners dreams. I think they are on their 3rd GM in three years, which will tell you something. The best competition to The Connaught is The Lanesborough. I've stayed in a few suites at The Lanesborough, but the decor offends my palette so much that even then I don't like them, but I still love the property.

The Beaumont's Roosevelt Suite is a great suite and one of the best in London I've stayed in.

The Bulgari has 4 Bvlgari Suites, which are really impressive.

You can go through my Flickr and find photos from a lot of London properties

MacMyDay, on behalf of everyone here [if you don't hear it enough], thank you! Funny enough, I found The Good, The Bad, The Luxurious before coming here, and it's great. I just did not realize it was you - that's neat! Seems like we're around the same age and have a passion for traveling, but unlike you, I can't travel four-plus months out of the year. Bringing me to, would you like to switch jobs?! :)

Regarding The Mews, I simply emailed the reservation link on the website. The email was signed by Muhith Miah. The Library Suite does look very, very cool! I guess I have to call/email for availability like I would do for The Mews.

That's unfortunate to hear about Hotel Cafe Royal! Having three different GM's in three years definitely does say something.

While researching where to stay, I see high remarks for the Lanesborough, but like you said, it offends my palette. Therefore, it's off the list, unfortunately.

'The Beaumont's Roosevelt Suite is a great suite and one of the best in London I've stayed in.' - wow, that's saying something. I'll have to check that out, too.

At first glance and based on information on the web, The Bvlgari Suite seems extremely costly for what they offer, in addition to the fact that it's at the Bulgari. $44,000 for three nights! But hey, maybe it's worth it?

I did swipe through your Flickr and it was great! I'd be curious to hear how Etihad's Apartment was and if you've flown Emirates new First Class Suite (On the A380) and also Etihad's The Residence - to compare the three. But that's a different topic for a different day!

Also, just out of curiosity, can you book any of these hotels with points? Or do you have any suggestions for booking? I do have AMEX with a few points to burn. I know AMEX has a reservation department but I figured I would just ask since you're an experienced traveler.

Thanks so much, again!

ABG Apr 28, 2018 9:06 am

wow, busy thread.

Halkin I think hits the modern/cool/lux items you spoke about in your first post OP, but the bathroom and shower isn't very slick for a top level suite.
Rate point is certainly attractive

Four Seasons Park Lane is the location you are looking for over ten trinity... BUT I think 45 Park Lane and a London Balcony Suite will hit the modern/cool vibe you are looking for.

I'll also toss out The Stafford Hotel at Green Park as being super popular with Americans. Improved F&B now and the new carriage house 1 bedroom suites by Champalimaud interior designs are lovely (but expensive). The Mews section penthouse is actually a good value albeit it maybe a little dark in some of the decor as that section is already 10 years old.