Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

London Hotel Recommendations (newer consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
London hotels with a wealth of detailed posts, 2013 - 2017

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1475602-london-luxury-hotel.html
Print Wikipost

London Hotel Recommendations (newer consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by KatW
Has anyone stayed at the new Belmond in Chelsea? I know it’s not central but I love that idea. How far is it from the Chelsea Embankment?
We booked to stay, went for a drink and show around and then cancelled our booking. The hotel is next to a main road, so the disturbance is too much for me. They have a little terrace for the bar facing directly at said road, which must be the worst positioned F&B outlet I've ever seen in a luxury hotel. Instead of being served martinis and champagne, you'll likely get rustled up a nice ear infection from all the idiots in their Ferrari's driving past at 100mph. And incurable diseases from all the pollution. The rooms are very nice though; they made me think of what The Beaumont would look like, had a woman designed it, i.e. much more warm.
KatW and bhrubin like this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I'd have honestly expected you to be more of a Mandarin Oriental or Connaught person in London, but if you do go to the Bulgari please do let us know what you think of the hotel which I can't seperate in my mind from the movies Men in Black (when you meet the staff you'll see what I mean).
But Bulgari is Marriott so it could be much better value for bhrubin.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 8:10 am

According to their website, The Bulgari does not participate in any loyalty programme. So, in a way, bhrubin is pointless.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 9:27 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Pausanias
According to their website, The Bulgari does not participate in any loyalty programme. So, in a way, bhrubin is pointless.
Exactly. There is no Marriott connection with Bulgari (other than Bulgari uses the Marriott booking system). That isn’t a factor for me in this at all.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by bhrubin

Exactly. There is no Marriott connection with Bulgari (other than Bulgari uses the Marriott booking system). That isn’t a factor for me in this at all.
OK, my apologize
Old Jul 17, 2019, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
They have a little terrace for the bar facing directly at said road, which must be the worst positioned F&B outlet I've ever seen in a luxury hotel. Instead of being served martinis and champagne, you'll likely get rustled up a nice ear infection from all the idiots in their Ferrari's driving past at 100mph. And incurable diseases from all the pollution.
Maybe you should try the Hotel de Paris in Monaco. Actually, as per Col. Kilgore, I like the sound of a Ferrari in the morning . . .
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:46 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Pausanias
Maybe you should try the Hotel de Paris in Monaco. Actually, as per Col. Kilgore, I like the sound of a Ferrari in the morning . . .
I used to live behind the Dorchester and for 9 months every weekday and some Saturdays I would be woken up by the sound of a Mercedes SLS being turned on parked just below my window (it sounds a lot like a jet engine) at 6:30am.

If I was rich enough to drive one of those in London you would not see me getting out of the house at 6:30am. To be fair, you’re not going to ever see me at 6:30am as it is...
Old Jul 17, 2019, 12:15 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let's stay on topic folks, this thread is about London hotels.

Thanks,
RichardInSF, moderator luxury hotels and travel
obscure2k and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:24 pm

Can anyone weigh in on Covent Garden Hotel v. Savoy? I'm there next week with my husband and 2 daughters (their first time in London). Constrained by location, budget, and availability, these are our two best options. CGH would be a four poster suite. Savoy would be 2 adjoining lowest category rooms. Based on what I've read on this forum, it seems that CGH is the better choice, but since I haven't come across any head-to-head comparison, I wanted to confirm.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 3:25 pm
Original Member

I am one of few here who love The Savoy but I would not want to stay in their lowest category rooms.
offerendum likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 11:22 pm

My husband and I are doing a quick 3 day/2-night visit to London at the end of the year. It's been over a decade since either of us have been, so we'll be doing touristy things - like 1 or 2 museums, and shopping. We don't need a suite, so entry level rooms are fine. Unlikely to need any concierge services. One caveat is that we're arriving at LHR on Boxing Day morning, so we will have limited public transit options into London (Yes, I am aware museums are closed on Boxing Day itself). The hotels in our budget are: Baglioni, Shangri La, Beaumont, Rosewood, Corinthia, Savoy, Goring, and Langham. Suggestions?
  • Shangri La is probably out because of its location.
  • One top choice was the Savoy, but since reading this thread and because we're the stereotypical California casual types, I feel like it might get awkward.
  • Baglioni is the cheapest by far but I've only seen one (very negative) comment about it here. Out of curiosity, can someone elaborate on what's so bad about it?
  • Right now, the Rosewood seems like best option for us (even though this thread seems meh on it) because it's 1) short walk from a Piccadilly line tube stop (to get there from airport) 2) walking distance to British Museum and Chinatown (better chance of restaurants being open on Boxing Day) 3) and relatively bigger entry level rooms.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
Personally, with a caveat that I am a Londoner so I don’t typically stay in hotels in my own city, I would chose the Rosewood from all of the above.

Having said that, I don’t think the SL is in a bad location - in fact I would prefer it to some of the others mentioned.

Also do keep in mind that it is fairly easy to change lines (ok luggage may make that a bit more difficult) so I wouldn’t use that as a factor in my selection.

Lastly, every year most major London newspapers will run holiday specials of where to eat and the places that are open on Boxing Day. Quite a lot of places stay open these days. Check a few weeks in advance and you’ll find that you won’t be limited to Chinatown only.
EmpressRouge likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 11:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by katesy
Can anyone weigh in on Covent Garden Hotel v. Savoy? I'm there next week with my husband and 2 daughters (their first time in London). Constrained by location, budget, and availability, these are our two best options. CGH would be a four poster suite. Savoy would be 2 adjoining lowest category rooms. Based on what I've read on this forum, it seems that CGH is the better choice, but since I haven't come across any head-to-head comparison, I wanted to confirm.
Entirely different options. Your preferred style should really seal the deal here.

The Savoy is grand, large, old. I think it's spectacular, others might find it stuffy, out of date. The Covent Garden hotel is young, hip, refreshing. Some might find it lacks luxury (though the service is good) or grandeur.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by EmpressRouge
My husband and I are doing a quick 3 day/2-night visit to London at the end of the year. It's been over a decade since either of us have been, so we'll be doing touristy things - like 1 or 2 museums, and shopping. We don't need a suite, so entry level rooms are fine. Unlikely to need any concierge services. One caveat is that we're arriving at LHR on Boxing Day morning, so we will have limited public transit options into London (Yes, I am aware museums are closed on Boxing Day itself). The hotels in our budget are: Baglioni, Shangri La, Beaumont, Rosewood, Corinthia, Savoy, Goring, and Langham. Suggestions?
You have some good hotels on that list.
Personally I'd go with the Langham, though I've not stayed there in a while and I have heard a couple of bad reviews recently. In general though, it's a well located 5* with excellent service and F&B
I also really like the Savoy and don't find it in any way stuffy in the way that some people seem to (I used to spend 2-3 evenings a week hanging around at one stage), but if you're going to approach it with a concern that you might feel under-dressed then maybe give it a miss - but do visit for a drink
The Shangri-La is out of the way and has a terrible reputation - I'd immediately strike it off the list
The Goring has raised its profile recently and now has a restaurant from Nathan Outlaw, one of the most en vogue English chefs. Never stayed there as I find the location a bit dull for me (but it's prime American tourist London - a great place to meet Californians on the street!)
The Rosewood is modern, but also quite luxurious. Very good F&B and a pretty happening location. I found the rooms a bit bland, but can't really fault anything with it
The Corinthia is good if you like very modern bling, but I personally find it lacks soul
I've never stayed at the Baglioni, but didn't think it rated alongside some of these other hotels

You'll be fine getting to your hotel on Boxing Day. London's infrastructure pretty much stays open not too different from usual (subject to some restrictions obviously). After a long trip I'd take an Uber in any case. London hint: If you want to take an UberX and see there's Surge, upgrade to UberExec which has surges less often and so can be cheaper than UberX when it's busy.
EmpressRouge likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
The rooms are rather boring and pretty standard - even the entry level suites, which you stand almost no chance of getting upgraded to due to how few of them there are, are nothing to write about. I like minimalism, but not that much. It's only if you can get a top suite that you'll start to feel you're in a great hotel. Sadly their once great restaurant is no more, which is not surprising as I genuinely never saw it more than 10% full - I guess the basement was not the best place to put a restaurant and rely on corporate to keep it running. I have not tried their new restaurant though.
It seems I am quite lucky as Bvlgari upgraded many times, up to a Bvlgari suite. My favorite room is the ‘studio suite’, the lay out is perfect and I love the bathroom with natural light. Regarding F&B nothing much happens there, so it’s probably better to go to Mayfair or other areas for great restaurants and bars.
bhrubin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.