Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

London Hotel Recommendations (newer consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
London hotels with a wealth of detailed posts, 2013 - 2017

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1475602-london-luxury-hotel.html
Print Wikipost

London Hotel Recommendations (newer consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ah, lanesborough MD opened hotel in 1991, left july 2018. that's continuity.
thecaterer.com/articles/519952/exclusive-geoffrey-gelardi-to-step-down-as-md-of-the-lanesborough
londonhotelsinsight.com/2009/08/26/is-this-londons-most-accomplished-hotelier
“Hoteliers love to say ‘no’ if it means they are following the rules. And for me there are no rules. You make them as you go along, with the best interests of the hotel and guest at heart.”
that is the best discussion re saying no that i have ever heard

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 7, 2019 at 2:39 pm
Old Feb 8, 2019, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
ah, lanesborough MD opened hotel in 1991, left july 2018. that's continuity.
thecaterer.com/articles/519952/exclusive-geoffrey-gelardi-to-step-down-as-md-of-the-lanesborough
londonhotelsinsight.com/2009/08/26/is-this-londons-most-accomplished-hotelier

that is the best discussion re saying no that i have ever heard
Couldn’t agree more Kage! Geoffrey Gelardi is a legend!
Old Feb 8, 2019, 4:45 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by MacMyDay
Yes, Mrs. MacMyDay stayed last year. Without me! The nerve. Apparently, very nicely decorated, similar to Beaumont, small rooms, and main benefit is you get access to the private members club, so it feels very private and exclusive.
Originally Posted by newfrequent

I haven’t stayed but got a tour of the rooms as a member when they opened them. Really well appointed rooms and the club is generally great, however it gets quite busy late at night on the weekend (till 3am in the basement) which people may find offputting. The Lanserhof gym is opening soon, I’m not sure if residents would have access but it looks fantastic.

It doesn’t look like the rooms get booked up that much as they’re extending the Japanese restaurant into one of the hot room floors.
Thanks both! Looks very promising.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 11:38 am

Does anyone know anything about Sea Containers London? It popped up on the Amex Travel site for me and it looked interesting.

Thanks,
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:29 am
Original Member

Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:38 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
Does anyone know anything about Sea Containers London? It popped up on the Amex Travel site for me and it looked interesting.

Thanks,
It was until recently, a Mondrian hotel. Then it went independent
Old May 19, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Hopefully the regular posters in here can help looking at a two night stay this weekend if you could choose between

Kimpton Fitzroy
IC Park Lane (AMB Night Free)
Sheraton Grand Park Lane
JW Marriot

Rosewood London (seem to be some cheap rates on discounters)
FS Ten Trinity

Or somewhere else that's actually special for less than cŁ500 a night what where would you stay? Ideally need to be short walking or driving distance to St Pauls, Kensington and Park Lane

(I'm leaving a gap between the first 4 and the last two as I know they aren't really in the same bracket or maybe they are an I don't know it)
Old May 20, 2019, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by TGLoyalty
Hopefully the regular posters in here can help looking at a two night stay this weekend if you could choose between

Kimpton Fitzroy
IC Park Lane (AMB Night Free)
Sheraton Grand Park Lane
JW Marriot

Rosewood London (seem to be some cheap rates on discounters)
FS Ten Trinity

Or somewhere else that's actually special for less than cŁ500 a night what where would you stay? Ideally need to be short walking or driving distance to St Pauls, Kensington and Park Lane

(I'm leaving a gap between the first 4 and the last two as I know they aren't really in the same bracket or maybe they are an I don't know it)
Only Rosewood and FS are luxury. Only knew IC from this list and while location is good the hotel isn´t.
Old May 20, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by offerendum
Only Rosewood and FS are luxury. Only knew IC from this list and while location is good the hotel isn´t.
I understand that and why I split the list as only the last two are luxury but looking for some advice on either other recommendations or which you’d pick between the last two.
Old May 20, 2019, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by TGLoyalty

I understand that and why I split the list as only the last two are luxury but looking for some advice on either other recommendations or which you’d pick between the last two.
I booked the FS Trinity for my upcomming stay and it was this time mainly between Lanesborough, Rosewood and FS. In the end style of FS (not so impressed by Rosewood and it lacks a pool), the possibility to book 8 nights in a row during the time I like to stay and value were the main factors. I know especially RichardInSF had bad stays at FS but I decided to give it a try.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 1:08 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
Any reviews of the Rosewood? I’m debating between Rosewood and Savoy... leaning towards Savoy because they have a pool.

But I will stay at Rosewood if service is better and rooms are better kept. Would love to hear experiences. Thanks.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:54 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by fishy21
Any reviews of the Rosewood? I’m debating between Rosewood and Savoy... leaning towards Savoy because they have a pool.

But I will stay at Rosewood if service is better and rooms are better kept. Would love to hear experiences. Thanks.
Rosewood is very mixed on reviews from my experience. Some clients have great stays, some have poor ones. Service is a bit inconsistent. Rooms are okay but no "wow" factors, really. But Rosewood Elite does allow upgrade at booking, so that's been a plus.

Savoy is okay and service has been good from what I've heard but really don't book them much so it's a small data pool to pull from.

The Connaught and The Lanesborough is where I suggest/book the most and have great feedback. Especially at The Connaught, but would suggest Jr. suites and up. Entry rooms (classic and contemporary) are a bit underwhelming.

Have had one feedback from Belmond Cadogan. Great looking hard product with okay service. But they are new so maybe a few more months to get through the learning curve.
fishy21 and bhrubin like this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
But Rosewood Elite does allow upgrade at booking, so that's been a plus.
I thought it´s only on an availability at check-in base.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
At Rosewood now in a Grand Premier Suite. The room is fantastic and I like the location as a change of pace from Mayfair. The service has been hit or miss to say the least. We have had a couple of big glitches.
fishy21 and BESVISOR like this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:07 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by offerendum
I thought it´s only on an availability at check-in base.
Yes, that's the case for booking via Virtuoso or Amex FHR.

But for Rosewood Elite, it's upgrade at time of booking (based on availability).
I just logged into my Elite account and double checked, still the case. It also has Guaranteed early check in for Elite.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.