Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

London Hotel Recommendations (newer consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
London hotels with a wealth of detailed posts, 2013 - 2017

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1475602-london-luxury-hotel.html
Print Wikipost

London Hotel Recommendations (newer consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
ritz (and savoy?) did downgrade their dress codes some

sold hotel residences including townhouses, first two have no hotel rooms.
land was available, hotel brands want the revenue and marketing to owners.
peninsula owns their development, presumably dorchester owns theirs too

obviously these would follow existing MO considering sale prices there
OT: Pen deviating slightly from current model, considering smaller properties and go asset light while retaining 'trophy' properties in tradition.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scented
OT: Pen deviating slightly from current model, considering smaller properties and go asset light while retaining 'trophy' properties in tradition.
100% - hong kong / new york / chicago / tokyo / london 2021
~75% - manila / beijing / yangon 2021
50% - shanghai 2009 / bangkok / istanbul 2020
20% - paris 2014 / beverly hills 1991
(aug 2017 their bangkok partner exercised option to buy 25%)
Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:12 pm

ritz (and savoy?) did downgrade their dress codes some

sold hotel residences including townhouses, first two have no hotel rooms.
land was available, hotel brands want the revenue and marketing to owners.
peninsula owns their development, presumably dorchester owns theirs too

obviously these would follow existing MO considering sale prices there
just seems like there might be an oversupply.

Dorchester and MO are being developed and owned by Clivedale (India Bulls).
Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2017 80 MO - only 50 rooms
2016 37 FS - first non hotel
2015 18 dorchester - next to 45 park lane, first non-owned after dropping geneva
2013 24 > 28 peninsula
announcement timing, peninsula sales may be years away

older >
6 > 7 bvlgari

what are current resale prices at MO hyde park

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 4, 2019 at 2:00 pm
Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
I have to say that I had my first stay at the Lanesborough this past weekend. It was only a 1 night stay at a mistake rate of BP 350 (on the LHW site). I do not dress up when I travel, am African-American and not small in size. I will say, my clothes, shoes, watch, luggage are on the expensive side - but overall dress I very casual. Including flip flops (regardless of weather). I note I did take them off and put regular shoes for the check-in (only b/c I was on a mistake rate). Welcome and check-in went great, upgraded to DLX Room with walk-in shower, given full LHW amenities, and was extended late check-out to 6 pm - which I did not require. Butler was very nice - but I did not use him during my stay. Room service was great - two attendants delivered food on a cart that had to be carried up the two stairs from the entry foyer. Service was always with a smile and at no time did I feel like they looked down on me given the low rate, race, size, dress, style, looks, etc. I was very impressed with this hotel and my stay. I am staying there again on the same mistake rate in March for 2 nights ad will see if anything changes.

Contrast this to my experience at the Shangri-La London, who asked me every time I entered the building could they help me or what did I want. I was asked to show my key at one point to proceed to the guests elevators from the lobby level (despite the fact you need the key in the elevator to press your floor).
Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

wonder if Lanesborough due to abu dhabi ownership, was well regarded prior to oetker under st regis and rosewood, also wonder if oetker and st regis were really interested in getting the contract

for FS it was a brand element under founder
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:55 am

2017 80 MO - only 50 rooms
2016 37 FS - first non hotel
2015 18 dorchester - next to 45 park lane, first non-owned after dropping geneva
2013 24 > 28 peninsula
announcement timing, peninsula sales may be years away

older >
6 > 7 bvlgari

what are current resale prices at MO hyde park
Do you mean One Hyde Park, as I'm not aware of any residences within the MO Hyde Park?

A friend recently rented in One Hyde Park for about £7k a week on a 12m contract for a 3 bed.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by SethLevy
Contrast this to my experience at the Shangri-La London, who asked me every time I entered the building could they help me or what did I want. I was asked to show my key at one point to proceed to the guests elevators from the lobby level (despite the fact you need the key in the elevator to press your floor).
Shangri-La has a tourist problem, don't think has to do anything with being racist. They are suffering from their (skyscraper) location.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

very easy for staff to enforce rules without behaving poorly
yet often (always?) rules are not enforced on everyone...

unfortunately some treat 'everyone' poorly, not 'discriminating'
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
Originally Posted by scented
Shangri-La has a tourist problem, don't think has to do anything with being racist. They are suffering from their (skyscraper) location.
They only seemed to stop the people of color (i.e. the darker people of color). I was stopped each time, and once I was with 3 non-minorities, and I was the only person asked where I was going in the group.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:10 am

They only seemed to stop the people of color (i.e. the darker people of color). I was stopped each time, and once I was with 3 non-minorities, and I was the only person asked where I was going in the group.
Very unfortunate. I hope you articulated your displeasure to senior management?
RichardInSF and offerendum like this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:35 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Off topic from the current discussion, but any of the Londoners heard of/visited/stayed here?
The Arts Club Hotel
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Not nice, I would definitively complain.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Off topic from the current discussion, but any of the Londoners heard of/visited/stayed here?
The Arts Club Hotel
Yes, Mrs. MacMyDay stayed last year. Without me! The nerve. Apparently, very nicely decorated, similar to Beaumont, small rooms, and main benefit is you get access to the private members club, so it feels very private and exclusive.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
The Arts Club Hotel
I haven’t stayed but got a tour of the rooms as a member when they opened them. Really well appointed rooms and the club is generally great, however it gets quite busy late at night on the weekend (till 3am in the basement) which people may find offputting. The Lanserhof gym is opening soon, I’m not sure if residents would have access but it looks fantastic.

It doesn’t look like the rooms get booked up that much as they’re extending the Japanese restaurant into one of the hot room floors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.