Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

London Hotel Recommendations (newer consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
London hotels with a wealth of detailed posts, 2013 - 2017

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1475602-london-luxury-hotel.html
Print Wikipost

London Hotel Recommendations (newer consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by MacMyDay
I'm always surprised with comments about snobbery in London hotels, particularly around dress code.
Try this next time you are in London:
  1. Dress like this: <Steve Jobs> in black turtleneck and blue jeans.
  2. Go to the Savoy.
  3. Go into the bar (not the lobby). Sit at the bar.
  4. Try to order a drink.
I failed miserably. I would note that tasks 1-4 assumes you can actually get through the lobby and into the bar. This is not a good assumption.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
I'm always surprised with comments about snobbery in London hotels, particularly around dress code. To be clear, I am not saying I don't believe it, I just have never experienced anything like it in my 7 years of regularly staying in them, which by now covers almost every luxury hotel and probably around 500 nights. I started staying when I was 25, when they would have been right to look down on my peasant status.

As @DSI, @FlyerEC, @bhrubin and @Groombridge can attest, being well dressed is not something they will write about on my tombstone. In fact, you will most likely find me in a hoodie, which in England is associated with, well, let me have Wikipedia say it best.

Year ago, before The Connaught reconstruction, I was checking in amidst the opening party for the Marc Jacobs store on Mount Street. They whisked me in via the side door, handed me a glass of champagne and checked me in up in the room. Of course, I was invited to come downstairs and join the soiree. So, I went down in my American khakis and nice-ish shirt and guzzled more champagne and hung around with several dozen super models. My attire made me stick out like a sore thumb but that's part of the charm of the memory.
tomcat007 likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:46 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
I'm always surprised with comments about snobbery in London hotels, particularly around dress code. To be clear, I am not saying I don't believe it, I just have never experienced anything like it in my 7 years of regularly staying in them, which by now covers almost every luxury hotel and probably around 500 nights. I started staying when I was 25, when they would have been right to look down on my peasant status.

As @DSI, @FlyerEC, @bhrubin and @Groombridge can attest, being well dressed is not something they will write about on my tombstone. In fact, you will most likely find me in a hoodie, which in England is associated with, well, let me have Wikipedia say it best.
I haven't experienced it either. Including at the Savoy where I will go in and out of the lobby in my sneakers and casual clothes. I also ate breakfast wearing like that and also the bar. If I frequent their restaurants, then I will respect their dress code. The only property in London that I know that seems to be excessively obsessed about dress code is the Ritz.

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
Try this next time you are in London:
  1. Dress like this: <Steve Jobs> in black turtleneck and blue jeans.
  2. Go to the Savoy.
  3. Go into the bar (not the lobby). Sit at the bar.
  4. Try to order a drink.
I failed miserably. I would note that tasks 1-4 assumes you can actually get through the lobby and into the bar. This is not a good assumption.
It seems you have more than you fair share of such experience I recalled? Savoy, MO BKK and Park Hyatt Tokyo. Maybe you are extremely sloppily dressed? Or they just don't like you. LOL That said, lots of high end luxury casual hotels that have no dress code which will welcome you in open arms without any restriction of attire. ^
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:07 pm

It seems you have more than you fair share of such experience I recalled? Savoy, MO BKK and Park Hyatt Tokyo. Maybe you are extremely sloppily dressed? Or they just don't like you. LOL That said, lots of high end luxury casual hotels that have no dress code which will welcome you in open arms without any restriction of attire. ^
Not quite, but your comments are reasonable. Let me clarify ...

On MO BKK - I've never stayed. My only stays in BKK have been at the Pen and Siam. I did take the boat from the Pen to the Mo BK to eat at the bar, and I had no issues with the dress code. I thoroughly enjoy the meal I had no issues at the bar in the MO. The MO BKK is high on my list when I return to Bangkok. I was not floored by Siam or the Pen.

Park Hyatt Tokyo was a different issue, not related to attire. I've stayed twice at this hotel. I stand by the statement that 'this is a famous bar with hotel attached'. Park Hyatt Tokyo is vastly over rated. It might be worse than Aman. THAT is a different thread.

Savoy was a complete and total disaster. This hotel made *clear* that it did not want my business. I'm not sure what the problem is. I work in high tech, and `fashion` is not in my vocabulary. I could not even cross the lobby without getting hassled. Actually trying to get something to eat was impossible. I (frantically) moved to the Lanesbough, where I had no problem with my attire.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:05 pm

You will find a little bit of tweed goes a long way in London hotels. It's amazing how throwing on a tweed jacket with a pair of jeans and a shirt makes all the difference. I'm a bit like Tom and don't care much for fashion at all - since my family and I spend a huge amount of time in FL my wardrobe is mainly filled with shorts and tee shirts. That said I'd rather blend in than stand out so I put on something vaguely smart when I stay in London and my hotels of choice are 45PL and The Lanesborough.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 1:16 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
Not quite, but your comments are reasonable. Let me clarify ...

On MO BKK - I've never stayed. My only stays in BKK have been at the Pen and Siam. I did take the boat from the Pen to the Mo BK to eat at the bar, and I had no issues with the dress code. I thoroughly enjoy the meal I had no issues at the bar in the MO. The MO BKK is high on my list when I return to Bangkok. I was not floored by Siam or the Pen.
My apologies. I must have recalled wrongly. But few years back, there were several case of heated debate over MO BKK dress code. Some posters were expressing profound indignation for being prevented to enter either the restaurants or the hotel compound due to perceived failure to meet the official dress code, while other posters defended the hotel's policy. Those threads end up getting locked.

While I am all for hotel guests being allowed to enjoy the premise in more comfortable and casual clothing ( a suit and tie is really passe in this day and age ) and not being bothered by security, I wonder sometimes where does one draw the line? I have seen guests having breakfast dressing like they just walked off the beach, T-shirt, shorts exposing hairy legs and slippers. And no, that's not in a beach resort. It's in a 5-star luxury city hotel and yes, in London. Worse, occasionally they have to put their legs up on another chair and exposing their feet.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it is not about dress code or security, but allowing differentiation based on what class
(and re dress code, when dress code is not enforced, there is no dress code)
so far seems impossible to have asynchronous text based discussion on these topics.
very easy to not allow nonguests, rather than treat everyone differently based on ...
Originally Posted by Pickles
some friends of mine who were guests there were confused for non-guests and it wasn't a pretty sight. To this day, a decade later they will still spit sideways and do the a two-handed one-fingered salute at the mention of the hotel.
MacMyDay, staff learned who you were very quickly as you are a local, age also factor.
some business travelers (not locals) here report various issues at certain hotels/brands

most here underestimate being tracked / watched by hotel.
at savoy, so busy watching lobby, not watching elevators..

frankly this is part of why i do not like regular hotels, vs aman/independent style.
many here report better service (identify guest) booking via agents or managers.
FS has started differentiating more, even if not as much as most luxury brands
scented likes this.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 2, 2019 at 10:04 am
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by BENLEE
My apologies. I must have recalled wrongly. But few years back, there were several case of heated debate over MO BKK dress code. Some posters were expressing profound indignation for being prevented to enter either the restaurants or the hotel compound due to perceived failure to meet the official dress code, while other posters defended the hotel's policy. Those threads end up getting locked.

While I am all for hotel guests being allowed to enjoy the premise in more comfortable and casual clothing ( a suit and tie is really passe in this day and age ) and not being bothered by security, I wonder sometimes where does one draw the line? I have seen guests having breakfast dressing like they just walked off the beach, T-shirt, shorts exposing hairy legs and slippers. And no, that's not in a beach resort. It's in a 5-star luxury city hotel and yes, in London. Worse, occasionally they have to put their legs up on another chair and exposing their feet.
I remember now. You confused MO Bangkok with MO Singapore. I did check out of the MO Singapore after a 'dress code violation'.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 7:27 am

Slightly off topic but is anyone else surprised by the number of hotel serviced apartments opening in the next few years in Mayfair. Have I missed any?

- Mayfair Park Residences (Dorchester Serviced Apartments)
- Four Seasons Grosvenor Square
- Mandarin Oriental Hanover Square
- Peninsula London (just outside Mayfair I know)
Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:07 pm
Original Member

jonjparr wrote: "You will find a little bit of tweed goes a long way in London hotels"

OK, this cracked me up.

Jim is not given to dressing well but we found he was fine with almost any sort of shirt, sweater or nice T paired with khakis (dockers in his case) and a navy blazer which he wanted in any case because he's often cold. Trainers on his feet, no problem. We did not have tea at the Ritz but the costume worked for tea at the Savoy.

Then, too, maybe it was my imperious glare daring a challenge.

Meanwhile, I am mostly rumpled linen tops, pants, jacket with scarfs and perfect aplomb.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by KatW
jonjparr wrote: "You will find a little bit of tweed goes a long way in London hotels"

OK, this cracked me up.
It really does! Pair jeans with a tweed jacket, shirt and brown shoes and suddenly you’re smart casual!
offerendum likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by jonjparr

It really does! Pair jeans with a tweed jacket, shirt and brown shoes and suddenly you’re smart casual!
and with cords and a tie you even fit the Ritz-dresscode
jp-mco likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
and with cords and a tie you even fit the Ritz-dresscode
I’ve never stepped foot in the Ritz - don’t think I ever will given their stuffy dress code. Besides, there are far far better hotels in London.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by jonjparr

I’ve never stepped foot in the Ritz - don’t think I ever will given their stuffy dress code. Besides, there are far far better hotels in London.
I see, we have something in common
Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ritz (and savoy?) did downgrade their dress codes some

Originally Posted by newfrequent
hotel serviced apartments opening in the next few years in Mayfair
- Mayfair Park Residences (Dorchester Serviced Apartments)
- Four Seasons Grosvenor Square
- Mandarin Oriental Hanover Square
- Peninsula London (just outside Mayfair I know)
sold hotel residences including townhouses, first two have no hotel rooms.
land was available, hotel brands want the revenue and marketing to owners.
peninsula owns their development, presumably dorchester owns theirs too

obviously these would follow existing MO considering sale prices there

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.