Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

London Hotel Recommendations (newer consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
London hotels with a wealth of detailed posts, 2013 - 2017

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1475602-london-luxury-hotel.html
Print Wikipost

London Hotel Recommendations (newer consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Thinking of trying something new. Which is the best among these three? Connaught? Berkeley or Claridges?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:39 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by BENLEE
Thinking of trying something new. Which is the best among these three? Connaught? Berkeley or Claridges?
I stayed at Claridges last year and they basically treated us like the opening scene of Crazy rich asians. Decided we would never be there again anymore
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
I stayed at Claridges last year and they basically treated us like the opening scene of Crazy rich asians. Decided we would never be there again anymore
Yikes.... I hope you walked! Snooty staff is the sign of a hotel that thinks it's better than it actually is.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:01 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Sorry I didnt watch that movie. Can you elaborate what happened? 🤔
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Too bad you couldn't buy the hotel and fire the offenders!! That's just awful to see blatant (or casual?) racism happening at a hotel like Claridges.

Last edited by Aventine; Jan 30, 2019 at 3:45 am
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:08 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by jonjparr
Yikes.... I hope you walked! Snooty staff is the sign of a hotel that thinks it's better than it actually is.
Originally Posted by Aventine
Too bad you couldn't buy the hotel and fire the offenders!! That's just awful to see blatant racism happening at a hotel like Claridges.
Originally Posted by BENLEE
Sorry I didnt watch that movie. Can you elaborate what happened? ��
BENLEE : Suggest you watch the movie , easier than reading the book .. Google it ? Not stay there either since G-CIVC has posted what happened to them .
But if you do , perhaps be ready to buy the hotel to rid the discrimination ..

Obviously , the folks there have not watched CRA either .

( Unless one is a CRA or is one of the characters portrayed , or has attended one of the schools mentioned or a public school for that matter , one might think some of it is far fetched .. ; much to glean in between the lines and dialects used too , one just might not “ get it “ . And if you are wondering , the hotel in the opening scene is not in London either but has been mentioned in this forum )

Try the Connaught

Last edited by FlyerEC; Jan 30, 2019 at 6:58 pm
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
Too bad you couldn't buy the hotel and fire the offenders!! That's just awful to see blatant (or casual?) racism happening at a hotel like Claridges.
I got a heavy dose of general snootiness (not racism) maybe 8 years ago at Claridge's and would never return. We were coming off a three leg, hours delayed flight from the South Pacific, not looking our spiffiest. I could literally hear the sniff when we presented ourselves. We never went back and took a decent amount of corporate business with us. Hotels need to understand that ONE incident on the part of ONE staff member can live forever in memory and on the interweb and worse, FT. Training, folks!
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
BENLEE : Suggest you watch the movie , easier than reading the book .. Google it ? Not stay there either since G-CIVC has posted what happened to them .
But if you do , perhaps be ready to buy the hotel to rid the discrimination ..

Obviously , the folks there have not watched CRA either .

Try the Connaught
Nah... Not going to watch that movie. Did saw the trailer though and it seems to perpetuate the usual Hollywood stereotypes of Asians. I am asian and Singaporean and finds it mildly offensive. And Singaporeans well-to-dos including the crazily rich ones do not live like that as depicted in the movie.

BTW I decided to try the Connaught.
francophile and G-CIVC like this.

Last edited by BENLEE; Jan 30, 2019 at 6:12 am
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:22 am

The Connaught, Claridges and The Berkeley are all owned by Maybourne, with staff regularly moving in between properties. In just the last year, the DoR and Hotel Manager at The Connaught have moved to Claridges (in the HM case, he was moving back), and The Berkeley's Hotel Manager and other front office management has moved to The Connaught. If you're determined to avoid any of the staff, you would be best avoiding the group entirely.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Were these offenses communicated to the GM? That would have been my first stop after such treatment.
scented likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by wripro
Were these offenses communicated to the GM? That would have been my first stop after such treatment.
Wondered about that, too.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mickidon
Hotels need to understand that ONE incident on the part of ONE staff member can live forever in memory and on the interweb and worse, FT. Training, folks!
Definitely. FT and the interwebs have long, uneraseable memories.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by wripro
Snot is a normal thing in London. Just get used to it. It is easier to list the hotels that I have not had the problem: FS Hyde Park and Lanesborough. But I'm an ugly underdressed American, and I, of course, deserved it.

The others:
Savoy: I do not even own clothing that would meet the standard for this place.
Bulgari: I'm not in the proper caste to even LOOK at the spa, let alone get help from the porters for my luggage.
Connaught: Had to show my key to use the lobby bathroom. ... that irritated me a little.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
Connaught: Had to show my key to use the lobby bathroom. ... that irritated me a little.
Just stunned at the sheer audacity and cheek.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:11 pm

I'm always surprised with comments about snobbery in London hotels, particularly around dress code. To be clear, I am not saying I don't believe it, I just have never experienced anything like it in my 7 years of regularly staying in them, which by now covers almost every luxury hotel and probably around 500 nights. I started staying when I was 25, when they would have been right to look down on my peasant status.

As @DSI, @FlyerEC, @bhrubin and @Groombridge can attest, being well dressed is not something they will write about on my tombstone. In fact, you will most likely find me in a hoodie, which in England is associated with, well, let me have Wikipedia say it best.

By the 21st century, it had gained a negative image, being associated with trouble-making teens and anti-social behaviour. It became one of the later items associated with "chavs", or Neds.
FlyerEC and Yahtzee like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.