Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

London Hotel Recommendations (newer consolidated thread)

Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
London hotels with a wealth of detailed posts, 2013 - 2017

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1475602-london-luxury-hotel.html
Print Wikipost

London Hotel Recommendations (newer consolidated thread)

Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:53 am

Thank you for the feedback, that is what I had suspected regarding the Shangri-La all along.
We have 8 nights total, was thinking 4 nights at The Goring for a very traditional experience but was then thinking we could move to another more modern, dare I say trendy hotel. Any recommendations? I was thinking maybe of one of the Firmdale hotels, such as the Knightsbridge Hotel or maybe just going instead for something more classic such as The Connaught or Claridge's.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by doc04
Thank you for the feedback, that is what I had suspected regarding the Shangri-La all along.
We have 8 nights total, was thinking 4 nights at The Goring for a very traditional experience but was then thinking we could move to another more modern, dare I say trendy hotel. Any recommendations? I was thinking maybe of one of the Firmdale hotels, such as the Knightsbridge Hotel or maybe just going instead for something more classic such as The Connaught or Claridge's.
Nobody on this forum will be surprised to hear me recommend..... 45 Park Lane!
DavidO and Yahtzee like this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, Shangri La Jade
Originally Posted by BENLEE
I agree about the Shangri-la location which is very boring, I stayed there once mainly for the view and the novelty wears off by the 2nd night.
Conversely, some of the best restaurants in London are a 5 minute walk away.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by sarahluv
Conversely, some of the best restaurants in London are a 5 minute walk away.
Dont have many in mind but not an expert. Even if a good restaurant scene I agree with Benlee that it wouldt be my preferred (touristic) location.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Plat
As one of the younger members of this part of the forum (mid 30s), can you help me understand what you guys are looking for in a hotel when going to places such as London, New York and other English speaking larger cities? I understand location, hardware, F&B, amenities such as pool, spa and such, but what kind of service are you guys looking for? Do you stay a lot in the hotel when visiting such places?

I understand the need for an awesome concierge service in Tokyo and Seoul, I understand you need a really nice pool in Bangkok. What kind of service is it that you're looking for in London? What am I missing here?

Serious question (not an accusation).
Old Jan 12, 2019, 5:18 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Lambi
As one of the younger members of this part of the forum (mid 30s), can you help me understand what you guys are looking for in a hotel when going to places such as London, New York and other English speaking larger cities? I understand location, hardware, F&B, amenities such as pool, spa and such, but what kind of service are you guys looking for? Do you stay a lot in the hotel when visiting such places?

I understand the need for an awesome concierge service in Tokyo and Seoul, I understand you need a really nice pool in Bangkok. What kind of service is it that you're looking for in London? What am I missing here?

Concierge team who can get you in last minute restaurant reservations / or changes , theatre tickets & such . Housekeeping who know where to place your toiletries & not mess up our arrangements , extra towels and / or other requests , - 3 large buckets of ice . .

How long one stays in , well , it depends how jet lagged one is . Once I got really ill & stayed in The Mark , NYC , almost a week ?

Connaught , The Halkin , .. are great for us in London . Short strolls to indulgence
Lambi likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 11:02 pm

Most of my travel to London is for business. I place a high value on having someone who is able to assist me by pressing my suit, shirts and ensuring my shoes are clean. They can also make me a cup of tea whilst I carry on with work. To me its all about making that time away from home as easy as possible and staying in a luxury hotel delivers that. Im not looking for concierge services other than with transport.
Lambi likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:40 am

I understand your sentiment - I pick a hotel for the hard product. But I'd never go back if the service was poor. In the majority of cases great service is not going to be experienced in city hotels. You're either there a short period of time, and even if you are, you're not in the hotel long enough for them to do anything to impress. Yet unless you have no interaction with any member of staff during your stay, you will feel it whilst there. It's as simple as room setup, check-in process, food orders being right, housekeeping bothering to show up, and what touches they have put into making your stay comfortable. It's about knowing when something does go wrong (it will eventually), that it will be resolved without hesitation. It's about recognition, even on a short stay, so you're not repeating the same order every morning, as they've already figured it out.

Like Jon, I also almost never use concierge (although a few years ago The Connaught's concierge did refer me to what became my favourite restaurant in London) and I started all my London travel for business, so I wanted it to be as comfortable as possible. Sometimes I would arrive at 10pm and have to leave at 6am the next day, so knowing I'm going to have the room setup perfectly and have zero hassle was worth paying extra for. As part of being a regular guest, it is all about convenience. Last Tuesday I stayed at The Connaught, and can book a room with a single text message at 11am, and arrive at 3pm, grab the key without signing anything, go to the bar for some lunch and leave without signing anything. Check out the next day is just saying goodbye on my way out the door and getting an emailed invoice a few minutes later.

Service will matter more when you feel the absence of it somewhere, then it will have a larger focus next time. If service is a key consideration, I'd say the best hotels in London are: The Beaumont, The Goring, The Connaught and 45 Park Lane
Lambi likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I would want the same things like in most other major cities. Excellent service, preferences recognition and attention to detail. No games with the check-in or room availability. Housekeeping that does their job without me being disturbed in room or coming back to find them in the midst of cleaning.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
Service will matter more when you feel the absence of it somewhere, then it will have a larger focus next time. If service is a key consideration, I'd say the best hotels in London are: The Beaumont, The Goring, The Connaught and 45 Park Lane
Yikes - the Lanesborough didnt make the cut! Must be something to do with the toiletries... 😂
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by jonjparr

Yikes - the Lanesborough didnt make the cut! Must be something to do with the toiletries... 😂
The toiletries goes without saying. Yet it's the inconsistency. We stayed over Christmas with the in-laws and there are far too many mistakes. They always end up comping things, yet I'd much rather they just got it right in the first place. I'd guess I stayed about 15 nights last year, and only a few stand out. Every hotel is a compromise somewhere along the lines, and The Lanesborough suffers with the food and service, but makes up for it with the rooms, location and spa (and toiletries). I also love their bar (but prefer The Connaught's).

The perfect hotel would be all the staff at The Beaumont moved to a refurbished Connaught. The Peninsula and another Rosewood are coming over the next few years, so maybe we'll all get lucky. The Connaught has installed proper AC with actual temperature controls in 30/130 of their rooms, with the rest being finished this year. If they can next fix the lighting controls, and a bit of paint here and there, it'll be much improved.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 12:00 pm

Im in a room at The Lanesborough this evening with a shower over the bath. <Shudder>

Whats even more odd is that the wall without the glass screen in the shower is a combination of wood and mirrors. The wood gets soaked when you use the shower. I felt bad soaking all the wood coving! Currently trying to figure out how to get all the contents of the toiletry bottles (note I said contents not the bottles themselves) into my luggage...
Old Jan 13, 2019, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by jonjparr
Im in a room at The Lanesborough this evening with a shower over the bath. <Shudder>

Whats even more odd is that the wall without the glass screen in the shower is a combination of wood and mirrors. The wood gets soaked when you use the shower. I felt bad soaking all the wood coving! Currently trying to figure out how to get all the contents of the toiletry bottles (note I said contents not the bottles themselves) into my luggage...
My first and last stay at The Lanesborough was so botched that I didn't even come back when they offered a complimentary stay after their new and much talked about Spa had opened. Too many wonderful choices in London.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by scented
My first and last stay at The Lanesborough was so botched that I didn't even come back when they offered a complimentary stay after their new and much talked about Spa had opened. Too many wonderful choices in London.
That doesnt sound good at all. What happened? I must say the Lanesborough Spa was showing some wear and tear today and I didnt expect that. There were tiles missing in the steam room, broken wood in the bio-sauna and a broken shower. Not as shiny and perfect as during my last visit.

Everything else good though (shower over the bath aside). Having the same Butler as my last stay is a nice touch and the staff are very friendly.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyerEC

Concierge team who can get you in last minute restaurant reservations / or changes , theatre tickets & such . Housekeeping who know where to place your toiletries & not mess up our arrangements , extra towels and / or other requests , - 3 large buckets of ice . .

How long one stays in , well , it depends how jet lagged one is . Once I got really ill & stayed in The Mark , NYC , almost a week ?

Connaught , The Halkin , .. are great for us in London . Short strolls to indulgence
The bar at the Connaught is a great experience also. And if you like seafood, Scott's is a block away.
FlyerEC and EuropeanPete like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.