Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

London Hotel Recommendations (newer consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
London hotels with a wealth of detailed posts, 2013 - 2017

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1475602-london-luxury-hotel.html
Print Wikipost

London Hotel Recommendations (newer consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2018, 7:18 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Just had a client complete stay at Connaught and loved it (went on about the wonderful service), similar to your usual experience there.

Side note: He is no longer GM at Pulo. His Ex-wife (heard they split up, unfortunately), Audeline is now the GM and she is wonderful! Met her last Summer at Pulo and worked with her as well. Always a pleasure and has attention to details. Surely her leadership will be better.
He might be at Amanyangyun, now, I think.
Met the Connaught GM once - when we first arrived on the first of 2 stays last year ..

Side note to above : Yes , he is not only GM of AmanYY but unfortunately , also regional director of the region ..
But she still has to report to him . Should we return to Pulo soon ? ( Quite a number staff have ‘ retired ‘ since Tapa moved but still has good team members )

Perhaps Connaught stay first
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 7:39 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by FlyerEC

Met the Connaught GM once - when we first arrived on the first of 2 stays last year ..

Side note to above : Yes , he is not only GM of AmanYY but unfortunately , also regional director of the region ..
But she still has to report to him . Should we return to Pulo soon ? ( Quite a number staff have ‘ retired ‘ since Tapa moved but still has good team members )

Perhaps Connaught stay first
Oh gosh, maybe that's why my stay at Amanfayun, couple weeks ago was so terrible. LOL!

I must admit that I loved Amanpulo so much that even if the service is average, I'd still return. I'm not a fan of the Casitas design at all but again, most sins are forgiven/forgotten once I set foot on the beach and into the water
Old Jul 29, 2018, 7:56 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let's stay on topic, which for this thread is London hotels.

Thanks,
RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels and travel
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:11 am

Trying something a bit different when we’re next in London (a babymoon!) and I’ve reserved The Audley Penthouse roof suite at The Dorchester. I’ll report back to everyone here with pictures and a report. So far I’m enormously impressed with the reservations team at The Dorchester. Superb in every respect! This replaces a stay we had booked at the Savoy which, after a couple of distinctly average interactions with reservations staff got cancelled. We’re also staying at the Lanesborough and Coworth Park during the same trip too.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:28 am

Love Coworth.

I've been pretty much just a Connaught regular over the past few years. Just very solid service, very friendly. I used to be quite partial to Browns, and still love the aesthetic, but the Connaught service seems a little more in tune with what I like.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by gegarrenton
I've been pretty much just a Connaught regular over the past few years. Just very solid service, very friendly. I used to be quite partial to Browns, and still love the aesthetic, but the Connaught service seems a little more in tune with what I like.
As the self-appointed Connaught fanboy of the forum, I would still advise on The Beaumont if service is a key consideration. I stayed there a few nights ago, once again in ROOM (pics below from previous stay) and really appreciate how well they understand their guests. It doesn't matter if someone is new, every member of staff knows exactly who we are and treats us superbly. I was out having dinner and needed my laptop urgently for a work related matter, and they just came and dropped it off at the restaurant for me. The team is mostly ex-Connaught anyway, all through the GM, Front Office Manager, Head of Security, F&B and probably more I'm missing. I have not been wowed at The Connaught in a long time, which is, of course down to some familiarity of having stayed there over 150 times, but also the huge turnover of staff. I was there a few weeks ago and did not recognise anyone. Still, just as I think I'm out, it pulls me back in, so we are staying this Sunday and I'll undoubtedly love it again. If you could only swap all the staff between The Beaumont and The Connaught, you would have one of the finest city hotels in the world.

Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
As the self-appointed Connaught fanboy of the forum, I would still advise on The Beaumont if service is a key consideration. I stayed there a few nights ago, once again in ROOM (pics below from previous stay) and really appreciate how well they understand their guests. It doesn't matter if someone is new, every member of staff knows exactly who we are and treats us superbly. I was out having dinner and needed my laptop urgently for a work related matter, and they just came and dropped it off at the restaurant for me. The team is mostly ex-Connaught anyway, all through the GM, Front Office Manager, Head of Security, F&B and probably more I'm missing. I have not been wowed at The Connaught in a long time, which is, of course down to some familiarity of having stayed there over 150 times, but also the huge turnover of staff. I was there a few weeks ago and did not recognise anyone. Still, just as I think I'm out, it pulls me back in, so we are staying this Sunday and I'll undoubtedly love it again. If you could only swap all the staff between The Beaumont and The Connaught, you would have one of the finest city hotels in the world.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132880...57671627726094
I did like the Beaumont, no complaints at all.

I prefer the Connaught location slightly as I'm closer to my tailor and shirtmaker. I have to confess I'm not looking to be wowed, my main requirement is comfort and unobstrusiveness. The Connaught fits like an old glove. To be fair the Beaumont did too, it's mostly just a location thing.

I'm at the point in life now where the main luxury I seek is not having to devote brain space to figuring things out. The more convenient the better.
United747 and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm at the point in life now where the main luxury I seek is not having to devote brain space to figuring things out. The more convenient the better.
seems like a missed opportunity when expensive luxury properties could be offering more in this regard. although a somewhat forgotten aspect is that whatever luxury may fail to offer, the gap can still be huge vs nonluxury.

if only service was a less abstract and more easily understood and quantified thing.
edit - the profit is partly by getting, keeping, and 'encouraging' guests.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 10, 2018 at 11:35 am
Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
seems like a missed opportunity when expensive luxury properties could be offering more in this regard. although a somewhat forgotten aspect is that whatever luxury may fail to offer, the gap can still be huge vs nonluxury.

if only service was a less abstract and more easily understood and quantified thing.
I concur. And I think the best ones do concentrate on it.

Agree on the gap as well. It's a huge difference.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

do any in london really try to deliver on things that are outside standard / box ?

for example getting tough reservations is about as standard as it gets, even though great.

on a different subject, perhaps there is hope for more brands like firmdale, como, etc. believe both are all owned, and not expensive trophy properties like dorchester. most changed, like oetker starting to manage. while peninsula has never been fully owned, they were mostly until more recently. all these brands operate in london, with fully owned (originally planned to be 50% owned) peninsula coming.

the problem with media and social media these days is exponential focus on flashy. yes, flash can be expensive. but there is plenty that can be expensive that has zero to do with flashy, where i think there are missed opportunities for luxury hotels to be earning and profiting. PR about delivering things that matter to guests does not have to be specific.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 10, 2018 at 11:49 am
Old Aug 10, 2018, 1:08 pm

Hard for me to say, as I'm a creature of habit. I've never really been let down at the Connaught though. They managed my trips pretty seamlessly. Always have the spa shower ready when I arrive on the early morning flight during high occupancy times, never any transport hiccups, and service is always at ease and personalized.

The socialmedia hit has been a net negative imo. There are positives, to be sure. But the negatives have been the mass exportation of image over substance, and venerable properties steered to superficiality.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 2:39 pm

We’ve just finished a stay at The Lanesborough in a Buckingham Suite. Without a doubt it was the best city hotel stay I’ve ever done. In fact it was so good I’m going to have to defect from what has been my usual London home for the last 5 years at 45 Park Lane. In terms of decor the Lanesborough couldn’t be more opposite to 45PL but I absolutely love it and the service is totally on point. As we were driving away my wife turned to me and said without prompting, “Well that was in a completely different league, wasn’t it?” I’m glad we are on the same page.

In terms of the hard product - sensational. The high categories of suite at The Lanesborough are definitely the sweet spot of their product. The bathroom was a great size and had natural light, the bedroom was large with a huge comfortable super king size bed and the lounge was large and had a great layout. The whole thing just worked for us (we were staying with our 3 year old daughter). They made such a fuss of our daughter; she had a beautiful little bed with gorgeous linens, special full size bathroom amenities, a balloon, chocolate cookies with her name and a Lanesborough Lion toy. Everyone seemed to know our name and I don’t recall signing anything during our stay. The service is friendly and personable - just how I like it. Everything from our preference list was perfectly and thoughtfully done.

So we’ve found our new London home. We are currently at Coworth Park which has so far been a bit of a disaster but I’ve had a word with management and they’re trying to turn things round.

BESVISOR likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:59 am

I prefer the Connaught location slightly as I'm closer to my tailor and shirtmaker.
I was in London last Sunday and parked the car for free in Grosvenor Square as per usual. We were wandering around the Mayfair area and everyone we saw was wearing trainers, jeans and T-shirts, just like us. We wondered who buys bespoke stuff from the fancy shops and the Savile Row tailors these days. Now we know. It's you! Glad to see someone still has standards . . . [BTW we had breakfast at the Beaumont. Rather nice.]

Last edited by Pausanias; Aug 14, 2018 at 1:08 am
Old Aug 14, 2018, 4:03 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

I really liked The Dorchester in Mayfair and The Savoy on the Strand. The Savoy for the views (and the rooms), The Dorchester for the food and the service (room great as well). Both are relatively older hotels (aren't they all ), but the Dorchester have always felt a lot more modern to me, with their B&O televisions (and its incredibly heavy remote control).

In my opinion, nothing really beats the view from The Savoy's riverside rooms or suites. That with a french omelette at 7 am is my definition of pure bliss.

The Dorchester on the other hand remains as brilliant of a hotel. I wouldn't say the views are as nice, but something about the ambiance really sets it apart from the other hotels. After all, you'd almost always chance upon the occasional Arab Princess and her entourage after a weekend shopping trip at Harrods.

Other than the two, The Lanesborough remains rather agreeable, although I wouldn't say I am a fan of the new design. I've always felt the rooms are rather on the dark side. Although, I do love the hotel for Céleste, which is one spectacular restaurant.
jp-mco likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 4:15 am

I think it depends on the room / suite type as to how much light you get in your accommodation at The Lanesborough. If you’re central facing or facing another building they can be a touch dark but the large suites with views of the Wellington Arch have lots of natural light partly due to the number of full height windows but also because there’s nothing blocking light in front of them. Agreed about Céleste - we love it too!
clubeurope likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.