Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

London Hotel Recommendations (newer consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
London hotels with a wealth of detailed posts, 2013 - 2017

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1475602-london-luxury-hotel.html
Print Wikipost

London Hotel Recommendations (newer consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, Shangri La Jade
Originally Posted by bhrubin

Finally. An advantage for same sex couples! Or at least the ones with both partners liking spas, anyway.
sorry! i'm bi and i should've said opposite sex partner. gah!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:33 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by sarahluv
sorry! i'm bi and i should've said opposite sex partner. gah!
I took absolutely no offense, I promise. I just wanted to be spa-in-cheek.
KatW, offerendum, Mickidon and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:25 pm

Just booked The Goring for next week. Typically stay at the Corinithina due to corp rates, but.as rates are quite low next week I figured I'd take advantage and try something new. Reviews here scared me away from The Savoy, location precludes the Shangri La, Connaught is significantly more expensive, Lanesborough &. FSPL aren't appealing to me, so it came down to the Ritz or the Goring.

Surprised there seems to be no mention of The Goring here at all. It appears to be a rather distinct British experience.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by HumbleBee
Surprised there seems to be no mention of The Goring here at all. It appears to be a rather distinct British experience.
The old London thread has my ramblings on it, such as https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27123950-post437.html

Pictures here:
Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:50 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
Wow. That’s high praise on service from you, even if I agree the style and amenities aren’t to my liking. But that did seem to be excellent service and recovery.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, Shangri La Jade
The lost property thing drives me mad! I'm sure a lost an expensive dress somewhere on my travels last year but I wouldn't have even known where to start. The only hotel which has ever phoned me is the Apex.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by HumbleBee
Just booked The Goring for next week. Typically stay at the Corinithina due to corp rates, but.as rates are quite low next week I figured I'd take advantage and try something new. Reviews here scared me away from The Savoy, location precludes the Shangri La, Connaught is significantly more expensive, Lanesborough &. FSPL aren't appealing to me, so it came down to the Ritz or the Goring.

We have booked a stay there also for May. I figure if it is good enough for Liz to enjoy dining there, it should be good enough for me to stay! Rooms are booked at a refundable rate as Liz hasn’t offered us any spare rooms to sleep in, yet. It’s our first trip to England, and I wanted something smaller, yet still quintessentially English! I do like rooms as MacMyDay pictured, so we should be quite happy.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 2:48 pm

Has anyone heard anything about L'Oscar?
Old Jan 6, 2019, 3:06 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

I do believe it comes almost 2 months after L’Golden Globe.

Sorry, we’re punchy in LA today.
aa213bb and sarahluv like this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 8:42 pm

Sounds great, thank you!
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:55 am

Have visited, but not stayed. I will likely stay this year, but I already know I won't like it. Such is my life. It's in the business district, near the Rosewood, so is already a horrible area; it has only a bar and restaurant as facilities , and the price of the rooms being cheap enough that they're competing with the awful Baglioni, make me think it's not going to be the finest quality. A suite at L'Oscar is cheaper than a Deluxe King at The Connaught (although they are being mighty generous with their terminology at 34-48 sqm for a suite). The bar is very nice, though.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

staying because of business location?
such locations likely dont encourage quality

38m2 duplex suite has balconies

65m2 l'oscar suite (jr suite)
34-58m2 suite (jr suite)
38-45m2 superior jr suite

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 7, 2019 at 11:25 am
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:09 pm

Shangri-La London

The views from the hotel look magnificent, but is the location really prohibitive for convenience to most attractions, shopping, theater, etc?
We plan on staying 4 nights at The Goring or Claridge's and then thought of moving to the Shangri-La for a different experience. Thoughts?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by doc04
The views from the hotel look magnificent, but is the location really prohibitive for convenience to most attractions, shopping, theater, etc?
We plan on staying 4 nights at The Goring or Claridge's and then thought of moving to the Shangri-La for a different experience. Thoughts?
Service issues aside there's just not much around the Shangri-La that you would likely want to visit. It's south of the river which is a far less desirable area to be. The best shopping is in Mayfair, Belgravia and Knightsbridge. I think that staying at the Shangri-La you will just find yourself travelling every day to get to things. I also think this hotel is a bit of a tourist trap - it's the sort of place that people who don't usually stay at luxury hotels go for that one memorable weekend. I'm not sure those who frequent this forum are the intended target demographic. By the way, I hope that doesn't sound snooty - it's certainly not intended to.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:58 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
I agree about the Shangri-la location which is very boring, I stayed there once mainly for the view and the novelty wears off by the 2nd night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.