Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

London Hotel Recommendations (newer consolidated thread, started in 2018)

London Hotel Recommendations (newer consolidated thread, started in 2018)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 16, 18, 1:56 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Wiki Link
London hotels with a wealth of detailed posts, 2013 - 2017

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxu...ury-hotel.html
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 30, 18, 7:53 am
  #31  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 42
Originally Posted by jonjparr View Post


The Lanesborough really suffers from pokey rooms and the lead in category is so small. Their largest lead in is 27m2 and the largest at 45PL is 37m2. I think they’ve tried to cram too many rooms into the Lanesborough whereas 45PL is only 45 rooms. The biggest difference for me is the service though; the staff are brilliant at 45 and nothing is ever too much trouble. They go out of their way to make things special. A quick example - my most recent stay I was sat having a steak from CUT at the bar (I didn’t want to eat in the restaurant as I was on my own) and after the meal the staff who I’d been having a great conversation with brought me a sampler of 3 desserts from CUT with their compliments. It’s the little things like when I arrive my room is stocked with JING chamomile tea and all the Nespresso pods have been swapped for decaf varieties or being able to have my favourite cocktail from the bar brought to my suite to a staff member coming into the room noticing I have a cold and bringing me a honey, lemon and ginger without even asking.
I absolutely love that type of service!
jp-mco and bhrubin like this.
EaglesFan0909 is offline  
Old Apr 30, 18, 8:38 am
  #32  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,147
Originally Posted by EaglesFan0909 View Post
I absolutely love that type of service!
Me too! It's why I keep going back to 45PL and Coworth Park time and time again.
jp-mco is offline  
Old Apr 30, 18, 9:07 am
  #33  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,147
Originally Posted by EaglesFan0909 View Post
So, you're saying that it's worth saving $800 for a balcony - got it! I do love when the cheaper option is better! Thanks, ABG!
I've stayed in a Park Lane Suite quite a few times and they're great. They offer lots and lots of space and a great location on the front corner of the building looking down on to the Dorchester. I've had a balcony in a room at 45PL before (not a suite) but wasn't overly made up with it - the design of the building is such that they're quite dark and don't offer that great a view. Also, the sliding doors onto the balcony aren't as soundproof as a sealed window which completely blocks out all traffic noise... of which there is lots on Park Lane!
jp-mco is offline  
Old Apr 30, 18, 9:16 am
  #34  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 42
Originally Posted by jonjparr View Post
I've stayed in a Park Lane Suite quite a few times and they're great. They offer lots and lots of space and a great location on the front corner of the building looking down on to the Dorchester. I've had a balcony in a room at 45PL before (not a suite) but wasn't overly made up with it - the design of the building is such that they're quite dark and don't offer that great a view. Also, the sliding doors onto the balcony aren't as soundproof as a sealed window which completely blocks out all traffic noise... of which there is lots on Park Lane!
Interesting! Yes, I'm between the Balcony Suite, Park Lane Suite and then the one-bedroom Connaught Suite. I almost want to spend two nights at each hotel! But, my girlfriend won't let that fly. She loves Spas so I'm kind of leaning towards the Connaught, though The Dorchester is no slack. I guess it's just easier having a spa in your hotel. Decisions, decisions!

EaglesFan0909 is offline  
Old Apr 30, 18, 12:18 pm
  #35  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,147
As a guest of 45PL you are more than welcome to use the spa at The Dorchester. If it were me I would go for... well you know the answer to that already!
EaglesFan0909 likes this.
jp-mco is offline  
Old May 1, 18, 4:28 am
  #36  
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Enroute to ? & likely flying in ' A ':)
Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Posts: 3,218
Originally Posted by EaglesFan0909 View Post
Interesting! Yes, I'm between the Balcony Suite, Park Lane Suite and then the one-bedroom Connaught Suite. I almost want to spend two nights at each hotel! But, my girlfriend won't let that fly. She loves Spas so I'm kind of leaning towards the Connaught, though The Dorchester is no slack. I guess it's just easier having a spa in your hotel. Decisions, decisions!




Well , pity you can ‘ t experience both . You still have time to convince her
Connaught has the Aman Spa !!

And if she is into shopping , lovely shops just around the ‘ corner ‘ . Then the amazing & varied restaurants within a few minutes walk if one does not get distracted on the way to them .

FlyerEC is offline  
Old May 1, 18, 7:46 am
  #37  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 42
Originally Posted by FlyerEC View Post


Well , pity you can ‘ t experience both . You still have time to convince her
Connaught has the Aman Spa !!

And if she is into shopping , lovely shops just around the ‘ corner ‘ . Then the amazing & varied restaurants within a few minutes walk if one does not get distracted on the way to them .

Yes! I read great things about the Aman Spa...and she already knows all about it. Fortunately, she is laid back and does not like shopping! She's a 'let me run to Macy's for a shirt' kind of girl haha.

I did in fact book the Connaught Suite (Because of the Spa) and will inquire about room availability upon check in, because apparently, all of the signature suites are booked (Except the Terrace Suite). Philadelphia has one of the wealthiest suburbs (The Main Line) in the United States so I do notice that hotel availability is limited during away games. I wouldn't be surprised if those residents/Eagles fans fly over for the weekend. Oh well. Regardless, I'm very excited!
EaglesFan0909 is offline  
Old May 1, 18, 10:04 am
  #38  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,147
Originally Posted by EaglesFan0909 View Post
Yes! I read great things about the Aman Spa...and she already knows all about it. Fortunately, she is laid back and does not like shopping! She's a 'let me run to Macy's for a shirt' kind of girl haha.

I did in fact book the Connaught Suite (Because of the Spa) and will inquire about room availability upon check in, because apparently, all of the signature suites are booked (Except the Terrace Suite). Philadelphia has one of the wealthiest suburbs (The Main Line) in the United States so I do notice that hotel availability is limited during away games. I wouldn't be surprised if those residents/Eagles fans fly over for the weekend. Oh well. Regardless, I'm very excited!
Hope you have a great time in London! As you’re not staying at 45PL perhaps consider an evening there to visit CUT and sample the bar. It’s worth it just for the Japanese Tajima beef they have - out of this world good!
jp-mco is offline  
Old May 1, 18, 10:26 am
  #39  
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Wi-Fi
Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, AMAN, Rosewood Elite, RC STARS, Belmond Bellini, Hyatt Prive, Shangri-La, etc.
Posts: 1,326
If anyone is going to be in London late May or June and is considering the Rosewood, please PM me as I have an interesting offer that I don't want to let it go to waste but don't want to disclose it on here to obey/respect FT policy. Thanks.
BESVISOR is offline  
Old May 1, 18, 12:28 pm
  #40  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 42
Originally Posted by jonjparr View Post


Hope you have a great time in London! As you’re not staying at 45PL perhaps consider an evening there to visit CUT and sample the bar. It’s worth it just for the Japanese Tajima beef they have - out of this world good!
Oh, we're definitely going! The running joke between our friends and family is, we book a one-week vacation but end up staying for a month. Don't be surprised if we go for dinner and stay a night, or two, or three :P
EaglesFan0909 is offline  
Old May 1, 18, 12:45 pm
  #41  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,900
Originally Posted by BESVISOR View Post
If anyone is going to be in London late May or June and is considering the Rosewood, please PM me as I have an interesting offer that I don't want to let it go to waste but don't want to disclose it on here to obey/respect FT policy. Thanks.
I'll be there early June.
bhrubin and BESVISOR like this.
surftb15 is offline  
Old May 1, 18, 10:11 pm
  #42  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 3
Brown's vs Langham

Dear All Members,

I found two hotels around same price range, Langham and brown's hotel.
The previous only has one time stay in Langham london. The room was nice and the service was great. Especially, the food in Roux at the Landau was excellent.
From tripadvior looks like both hotel are in the similar ranking, Since I never stayed with any rocco hotels and it's really hard to find comments for Brown's hotel, may anyone suggest me for both hotel?

Thank you so much.
clemensh is offline  
Old May 29, 18, 12:39 pm
  #43  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic
Posts: 1,312
Another failure of imagination on my part . . . back to The Connaught in June. The Mews will be out of reach, however.
Yahtzee is offline  
Old Jun 11, 18, 1:51 am
  #44  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,330
Stayed in a suite in The Rosewood last week, just because I felt I had to give it another chance.

I don't get it.

I honestly don't see why anyone would pick it over any of the other far, far superior options in London, other than because they needed to be in the area for business. I didn't even bother taking any photos, so uninspiring it was. A hotel with over 300 rooms is hard to get inspired by. We arrived at midnight after a delay to our flight, where weirdly someone greeted our driver to ask if he was a driver, and yet then no one bothered helping with the luggage. We were then taken to the room, given a good show around, but quickly realised they had not setup the room as we asked nor even done turndown, so I call down to ask for some basic things like toothpaste and pillow, and after 30 minutes of waiting call again. The staff genuinely seemed to care, but kept making mistakes throughout our stay.

The first suite was just hideous, with long corridors leading into a claustrophobic bedroom and a bathroom like a maze of mirrors. We asked to move and were moved into another suite that felt about 5x bigger, yet strangely was the same room category. Much better, but still not good enough. Be wary more of your room number than your room type.
MacMyDay is offline  
Old Jun 11, 18, 9:56 am
  #45  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic
Posts: 1,312
Originally Posted by MacMyDay View Post
Stayed in a suite in The Rosewood last week, just because I felt I had to give it another chance.

I don't get it.

I honestly don't see why anyone would pick it over any of the other far, far superior options in London, other than because they needed to be in the area for business.
A friend and I frequently visit a certain Chinese restaurant. Whenever I suggest ordering something different this time, he essentially replies, "Why should I risk getting something bad when I know what I like and think it's great?" That's my takeaway from your mini-review (and my experience with experimenting at that restaurant).
Yahtzee is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: