Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

London Hotel Recommendations (newer consolidated thread)

Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
London hotels with a wealth of detailed posts, 2013 - 2017

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1475602-london-luxury-hotel.html
Print Wikipost

London Hotel Recommendations (newer consolidated thread)

Old Feb 17, 2020, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by THR
Hello all!

Would really appreciate some advice. We have four nights in London in mid June, and I am entirely conflicted on locations.

Intending to book via Virtuoso - and there are quite a few promotional offers during our stay (e.g. pay 2, get 3; pay 3 get 4).

My partner is quite keen on Lanesborough - but no such promotional offer, so it ends up quite expensive.

Other options for our dates include Browns and Baglioni.

Any thoughts on Browns vs Baglioni; or whether it is perhaps just better to stump up and pay Lanesborough and not use promotional benefits?

Appreciate any guidance as its a big decision for us.
Stay at The Beaumont - by far the best option.
SojournsOf likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 10:28 am

We are very fond of visiting the National Galleries and the British Museum. What are the best hotels within a very short walking distance of one or the other?
Old Feb 17, 2020, 11:19 am

Programs: LH/BA/DL
Covent Garden Hotel is almost exactly half way between the two, about 5-10 minutes walk to each of the museums. It is not among the top luxury hotels mentioned above, but I like it and it is often recommended here.

https://www.firmdalehotels.com/hotel...-garden-hotel/
richarddd likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Greg45
Covent Garden Hotel is almost exactly half way between the two, about 5-10 minutes walk to each of the museums. It is not among the top luxury hotels mentioned above, but I like it and it is often recommended here.

https://www.firmdalehotels.com/hotel...-garden-hotel/
That looks promising, Thanks!

Something that's closer to one or the other would also be good, even if being closer to one would be farther from the other.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by richarddd
That looks promising, Thanks!

Something that's closer to one or the other would also be good, even if being closer to one would be farther from the other.
Corinthia is near to the Galleries
richarddd likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Not in a good location though if you are a tourist wanting to walk to see the major sights, galleries and museums.

Last edited by Pausanias; Feb 17, 2020 at 11:31 pm
Old Feb 18, 2020, 11:10 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
I didnt like the Covent Garden Hotel when I stayed there. Common spaces felt a bit too intimate.

The Claridges will probably enter tier 1 once the renovations are complete. I understand completion is imminent, although no confirmed completion date for the underground health club.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 11:50 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

All the rooms at the Corinthia from entry level through junior suite are essentially the same only differentiated by having been categorized by size which doesn't vary that much.

The first level where you actually get a different, nicer room layout is deluxe junior suite. Unfortunately, all of these face an undistinguished inner courtyard and, as of the last time I tried one, mobile service from my operator (O2) was non-existent. That's unfortunate since it would have been easily fixable by the hotel by the addition of several inexpensive femto base stations (these retail in the USA for under $250 each).

A suite facing outward may well be the first decent room.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 1:21 pm

The deluxe junior suite would be my choice, although the uninspiring view gives me pause. Next up is a garden suite, also courtyard, and then a Great Scotland Yard view; any idea what that looks like? Above that is a Trafalgar Square and Nelson column view - I wonder if that's as nice as it sounds,

If I have decent wifi I don't care about mobile service, but I understand why lack of mobile service would be a problem for most people, especially if it could easily be fixed.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 2:21 pm

Very few London hotels have great views and those that do, very few rooms or suites have that benefit. Mostly the terrain is flat, the roads are too narrow and the buildings are too uniformly tall (about six floors) to afford nice views. I'm going to name drop here, but I do remember booking the great movie director George Cukor into the 'Katharine Hepburn Suite' at the Connaught which had a tiny terrace from which you could just about make out Big Ben. (George had a much better view from his house on Cordell Drive in LA.)

Some rooms at the Savoy have river views towards the RFH. The Marriott County Hall has stunning views towards the Palace of Westminster (currently under renovation wraps). The Shangri-Shard . . . of course. The Hilton Park Lane looks down on Buckingham Palace. The Lanesborough looks out on a roundabout. And a few facing Hyde Park such as the Dorchester and the MO. But nothing to get excited about from any of them. So not worth shelling out for.

Last edited by Pausanias; Feb 18, 2020 at 11:25 pm
Old Feb 18, 2020, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum

With the right light, most views can be interesting.
offerendum likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 4:19 pm

Anyone stay at the EDITION or the Bvlgari hotels yet?
Old Feb 18, 2020, 6:54 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I'm yet to receive any negative feedback about this place!
Old Feb 19, 2020, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by phant0m
Anyone stay at the EDITION or the Bvlgari hotels yet?
Not tried the Edison yet but I love the Bvlgari. I stayed in all room types & suites. I love this hotel since it opened
Old Feb 19, 2020, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by SojournsOf
I'm yet to receive any negative feedback about this place!
Let me give you some: I don't like the rooms; they're far too dark. The Belmond Cadogan rooms have a very Beaumont feel, yet much easier on the eyes and offer much more natural light. If The Beaumont took on their style I'd stay more often. As it is, I currently pick between The Connaught or The Lanesborough.
SojournsOf likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.