Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

London Hotel Recommendations (newer consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
London hotels with a wealth of detailed posts, 2013 - 2017

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1475602-london-luxury-hotel.html
Print Wikipost

London Hotel Recommendations (newer consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2019, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I’ve never found river views to be particularly stunning or compelling in any city: London, Prague, Budapest, Vienna, Cairo, Bangkok, Melbourne, Paris, even NYC. Perhaps an exception for Shanghai (but more the cityscape then water).
And Florence

Without joking, I fully agree
Old Sep 13, 2019, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
Not sure. We're had long discussions here about 'stuffiness' at London hotels and Savoy tries to win that contest. Without starting a flame war, there are people here that imply everybody should be wearing a Brioni suit before they even THINK about stepping onto a London sidewalk. As an ugly American, I don't have that level of sn*t.

I've never had any trouble at the Lanesborough and I quite like the hotel. I couldn't get through the lobby at the Savoy without attracting security and I wasn't allowed to eat in any of the restaurants or bars. I promptly checked out and went over to the Lanesborough -- and had no such problems.

There is a chance you will hate the Savoy. It has a *very* different vibe from the Lanesborough.
No problem with the Brioni but sounds not good. Personally I never gad a problem at one of the important restaurants in London (2 or 3 star) as in the hotels I stayed.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 4:00 am

Blown away by the quality of the service at the Connaught. Simply impeccable. A shame that I probably won’t be going back - a shower-in-bath is bad enough, but zero water pressure and impossible to get a consistent temperature are totally intolerable. Also pool facilities leave to be desired.
EuropeanPete and bhrubin like this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 4:08 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Service at the Connaught has always been exceptional IME, but hard product inconsistent.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 4:53 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by HumbleBee
Blown away by the quality of the service at the Connaught. Simply impeccable. A shame that I probably won’t be going back - a shower-in-bath is bad enough, but zero water pressure and impossible to get a consistent temperature are totally intolerable. Also pool facilities leave to be desired.
If you ever decide to try again, book a jr suite in the contemporary wing and you’ll never look back. The rain shower is out of this world - it’s what I imagine standing under Niagara Falls to be like
Old Sep 25, 2019, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by reigndrop
If you ever decide to try again, book a jr suite in the contemporary wing and you’ll never look back. The rain shower is out of this world - it’s what I imagine standing under Niagara Falls to be like
Awesome. Just came back for this thread to figure it out. Never left a hotel with such mixed feelings. Love the service and location.

Is that the lowest room category that has a good shower?
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 6:36 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by HumbleBee
Awesome. Just came back for this thread to figure it out. Never left a hotel with such mixed feelings. Love the service and location.

Is that the lowest room category that has a good shower?
At least you know now that to get a reliable hard product at the Connaught, you need to book at least a junior suite. Below that, all bets are off...despite the hefty price tag.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

you need to book at least a junior suite. Below that, all bets are off...
Unfortunately especially in older hotels that´s often or even mostly the case.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 5:49 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
I love the rooms in the contemporary wing. Other rooms are so-so. Otherwise the soft product is excellent, although I far prefer breakfast at Claridges. The ambience/decor at JG is better, but at the food at Claridges is much better.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 11:37 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

At least you know now that to get a reliable hard product at the Connaught, you need to book at least a junior suite. Below that, all bets are off...despite the hefty price tag.
Hrm, interesting. Is the hard product more consistent in the contemporary wing?

I booked 1 night in the Contemporary Deluxe King Room category with an FHR rate for a ~28 hour connection from LCY to LHR. The pictures online showed a freestanding tub and a walk in shower.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 1:39 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
How is the Stafford these days?
It looks like a good choice with a child....walking distance to Buckingham Palace (changing of the guard) and feeding the fabulous ducks at St. James’s park.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 11:30 pm

If you are looking for a hotel with the best view of London, then look no further. The spectacular views at the Shangri-La hotel can be attributed to its location. The hotel is situated within the tallest building in London, the remarkable Shard skyscraper, which stands at 306 metres tall. It is located between the 34th and 52nd floor of the skyscraper. Shangri-La is the tallest hotel in London with 95 stories.

Several landmarks and architectural wonders are within the hotel view. On a clear day, you can see The Tower of London, Tower Bridge, St Paul’s Cathedral, and other sights for miles. Also, Shangri-La is one of the hotels that offer a stunning view of The London Eye. Every room in this five-star hotel has floor to ceiling windows that guarantee a spectacular view of London from any angle. The highest bar in London with a stunning hotel view, the GONG, is also located in the Shangri-La. The hotel’s swimming pool also offers a fantastic London view.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by southeastcoaches
If you are looking for a hotel with the best view of London, then look no further. The spectacular views at the Shangri-La hotel can be attributed to its location. The hotel is situated within the tallest building in London, the remarkable Shard skyscraper, which stands at 306 metres tall. It is located between the 34th and 52nd floor of the skyscraper. Shangri-La is the tallest hotel in London with 95 stories.

Several landmarks and architectural wonders are within the hotel view. On a clear day, you can see The Tower of London, Tower Bridge, St Paul’s Cathedral, and other sights for miles. Also, Shangri-La is one of the hotels that offer a stunning view of The London Eye. Every room in this five-star hotel has floor to ceiling windows that guarantee a spectacular view of London from any angle. The highest bar in London with a stunning hotel view, the GONG, is also located in the Shangri-La. The hotel’s swimming pool also offers a fantastic London view.
My biggest problem with the Shangri-La at The Shard is unfortunately where it is and for that sole reason I couldn't pick it as a hotel irrespective of how good the views or hard product is. It's just not in the place I need it to be. As I'm currently not staying at any Dorchester Collection properties the Lanesborough is my go to London hotel. This unfortunately means occasionally putting up with a shower over the bath!
offerendum and bhrubin like this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
Not sure. We're had long discussions here about 'stuffiness' at London hotels and Savoy tries to win that contest. Without starting a flame war, there are people here that imply everybody should be wearing a Brioni suit before they even THINK about stepping onto a London sidewalk. As an ugly American, I don't have that level of sn*t.

I've never had any trouble at the Lanesborough and I quite like the hotel. I couldn't get through the lobby at the Savoy without attracting security and I wasn't allowed to eat in any of the restaurants or bars. I promptly checked out and went over to the Lanesborough -- and had no such problems.

There is a chance you will hate the Savoy. It has a *very* different vibe from the Lanesborough.
Can I ask what you were wearing to get that reaction at the Savoy? I haven’t been since the refurb but never had any issues at the American Bar or the other smaller bar (the name escapes me).
Old Sep 30, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by krispy84
Can I ask what you were wearing to get that reaction at the Savoy? I haven’t been since the refurb but never had any issues at the American Bar or the other smaller bar (the name escapes me).

This, obviously isn't me, but this is nearly exactly what I was wearing at the Savoy that gave security indigestion. I did have trouble at the American Bar. The server had to get 'permission' to let me in. Management made a gracious exception in my case since I was a hotel guest. I had a drink but found out that they don't serve food at the American Bar, so I went to the restaurant. I wasn't allowed in. I was told that I could eat in the lobby or order room service.

I frantically got a hold of my TA and stayed that night - in a suite with the river view; cowering in a corner; bitter tears staining the carpet: 'Please sir (shakes tin cup) -- Allow me to stay in your fine hotel (?)'
I checked out soon after viewing a wonderful Hockney retrospective a short distance away and moved to the Lanesborough.

Here is the thread from that stay:
Corinthia hotel -- London

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.