Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

London Hotel Recommendations (newer consolidated thread)

Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
London hotels with a wealth of detailed posts, 2013 - 2017

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1475602-london-luxury-hotel.html
Print Wikipost

London Hotel Recommendations (newer consolidated thread)

Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by TGLoyalty

I understand that and why I split the list as only the last two are luxury but looking for some advice on either other recommendations or which you’d pick between the last two.
ended up staying at ten trinity. I had a very good stay booked via a virtuoso agent. Still the lobby/rotunda didn’t really wow me but would stay again at some point.
offerendum likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:51 pm

Those who follow the Michelin Guide around the world and use it as a culinary yardstick might be interested to know that The Goring has a new restaurant called Siren, masterminded by chef Nathan Outlaw whose place in Cornwall has two Michelin stars and is currently rated by The Good Food Guide as the best restaurant in the UK. Outlaw cooks fish, apparently brilliantly, and in Cornwall offers an 8 course tasting menu only, six courses of which are fishy. I'm relieved to say that the Siren offering appears to be a more traditional menu.

https://www.thegoring.com/food-drink/siren/
Old Jun 21, 2019, 6:12 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by fishy21
Any reviews of the Rosewood? I’m debating between Rosewood and Savoy... leaning towards Savoy because they have a pool.

But I will stay at Rosewood if service is better and rooms are better kept. Would love to hear experiences. Thanks.
Stayed at both. Savoy isn't a favourite here due to the perceived "stuffy" ambience but I really like it. It's classical / traditional. The one bedroom suite is the room type to choose as lower tier rooms are not as nice and won't come with butler service. Recently I switch to Lanesborough due to better location and hard product but might go back there.

I will not get anywhere near the Rosewood even if it's free stay. Creepy hotel with room decor resembling a mental asylum but that's largely personal taste so YMMV.

As a side note, I recently stayed at Connaught and quite like it. F&B is very good.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:15 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

In addition to the signs near Hyde Park corner announcing the Peninsula, there are now signs on one of the corners of Portman Square (near Marble Arch) saying that what used to be the Radisson Blu is under renovation to become a Nobu hotel, expected to open in 2020.. I've never even visited a Nobu hotel so I am just guessing it would be regarded as luxury.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:54 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
In addition to the signs near Hyde Park corner announcing the Peninsula, there are now signs on one of the corners of Portman Square (near Marble Arch) saying that what used to be the Radisson Blu is under renovation to become a Nobu hotel, expected to open in 2020.. I've never even visited a Nobu hotel so I am just guessing it would be regarded as luxury.
It will be London’s second Nobu hotel and would be the third Nobu within about a kilometre, which feels a bit ridiculous! Let’s hope it’s better than the one in Shoreditch. Given the location prices could be Ł450 or above, but I doubt it will count as a “luxury” hotel by the standards of this illustrious forum.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 6:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete

It will be London’s second Nobu hotel and would be the third Nobu within about a kilometre, which feels a bit ridiculous! Let’s hope it’s better than the one in Shoreditch. Given the location prices could be Ł450 or above, but I doubt it will count as a “luxury” hotel by the standards of this illustrious forum.
Completely agree that it is getting ridiculous.

Surprisingly two very good (and picky) friends of mine stayed at the Nobu in Shoreditch a couple of months ago and they claimed that it was the best/most charming service that they have received in London (their last time here was in the Rosewood) in a long time. I thought that they were going to hate it but they couldn’t stop singing it’s praises.

I don’t have an opinion given I live in London but I prefer the Nobu there than the one in the Metropolitan (no atmosphere) and Berkeley Sq (horrible acoustics unless you are near the windows and the crowds at the bar). Also, it actually doesn’t feel like a hotel restaurant at all (which is important for me).

I do think that the game changer (if it lives up to its hype) is going to be the Standard. Hopefully it’s 24 hour bar/restaurant service would force some of the other places to follow suit and the location is one of the best in London imo. Granted it is not “luxury” as such term is defined in this forum, but it is in a great location which doesn’t suffer from the crassness of the Knightsbridge/Chelsea/Mayfair locales.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Let's hope the parties are as fun as the Chiltern Firehouse residents' bar used to be. I have never seen anything like it in my life.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 11:07 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Any recent stays at the Bulgari London and/or thoughts on that compared with other top hotels? (Spa not a factor for me, but air con, great design, spacious rooms, F&B, a great bar, and excellent service are all major factors for me.)

Last edited by bhrubin; Jul 14, 2019 at 3:56 pm
Old Jul 14, 2019, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Pausanias
Those who follow the Michelin Guide around the world and use it as a culinary yardstick might be interested to know that The Goring has a new restaurant called Siren, masterminded by chef Nathan Outlaw whose place in Cornwall has two Michelin stars and is currently rated by The Good Food Guide as the best restaurant in the UK. Outlaw cooks fish, apparently brilliantly, and in Cornwall offers an 8 course tasting menu only, six courses of which are fishy. I'm relieved to say that the Siren offering appears to be a more traditional menu.

https://www.thegoring.com/food-drink/siren/
some of the two-person tables look absurdly small even though the room looks beautiful. Some restaurants don't get that having a bit of personal space is part of a luxury dining experience.
susanc and op487062 like this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 3:44 pm
Original Member

Has anyone stayed at the new Belmond in Chelsea? I know it’s not central but I love that idea. How far is it from the Chelsea Embankment?
newfrequent likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Any recent stays at the Bulgari London and/or thoughts on that compared with other top hotels? (Spa not a factor for me, but air con, great design, spacious rooms, F&B, a great bar, and excellent service are all major factors for me.)
I'd have honestly expected you to be more of a Mandarin Oriental or Connaught person in London, but if you do go to the Bulgari please do let us know what you think of the hotel which I can't seperate in my mind from the movies Men in Black (when you meet the staff you'll see what I mean).
Old Jul 15, 2019, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Nicoolio
some of the two-person tables look absurdly small even though the room looks beautiful. Some restaurants don't get that having a bit of personal space is part of a luxury dining experience.
It rarely is really in London (or Paris, Rome...) except in 3* restaurants which tend to have the out-size tables. I see what you mean though - definitely more of an afternoon tea vibe than what I would personally like from a real dining venue. Shame, as Outlaw is one hell of a chef...
Old Jul 15, 2019, 8:49 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I'd have honestly expected you to be more of a Mandarin Oriental or Connaught person in London, but if you do go to the Bulgari please do let us know what you think of the hotel which I can't seperate in my mind from the movies Men in Black (when you meet the staff you'll see what I mean).
We had such a poor experience with MO staff even before and then after our most woeful dinner at Dinner many years ago that we likely would never return or consider any MO stay. Our tragic MO Las Vegas stay didn’t do much to impress us for the brand, either.

The Connaught, while the apple of our dear @MacMyDay’s eye, doesn’t appeal to us for some reason of style and/or formality. His descriptions in the past have made me wonder if the Beaumont or Bulgari might most suit us. Up until now, the Halkin by COMO has been my most comfortable and enjoyable stays. I only know I won’t like the Lanesborough, Rosewood, Four Seasons, Savoy. etc. And I won’t consider anything Dorchester, good homosexual that I am. The eventual Peninsula might appeal.

The Bulgari appeals to me for its style, its supposed service, its bar, its F&B, and energy. But you never know until you stay!
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 11:44 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Up until now, the Halkin by COMO has been my most comfortable and enjoyable stays.
I really do love the Halkin; it's a shame that the suites are nearly always booked up by the time I plan a trip.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:10 am

I have not stayed in The Bulgari since 2017, so things could have changed, but the service was definitely not the reason to stay. I stayed five times in about a month and complained almost every time. The only reason to stay was the location, if you like being near Harrords (I do not) and their awesome spa, including the great pool and hydrotherapy pool. I don't think energy is the word to use as there isn't much of an atmosphere as mostly no one is there, but the bar is decent, albeit very dark (as is the rest of the hotel).

The rooms are rather boring and pretty standard - even the entry level suites, which you stand almost no chance of getting upgraded to due to how few of them there are, are nothing to write about. I like minimalism, but not that much. It's only if you can get a top suite that you'll start to feel you're in a great hotel. Sadly their once great restaurant is no more, which is not surprising as I genuinely never saw it more than 10% full - I guess the basement was not the best place to put a restaurant and rely on corporate to keep it running. I have not tried their new restaurant though.

I know this is all negative, but I still do like the hotel and I would still stay.....if their pricing was reasonable. As 99% of my stays in London are overnight, I just can't justify spending so much when I'm there to be anywhere but the hotel. They're often twice as expensive as The Connaught, which isn't good value to me - especially as I'm almost guaranteed a suite upgrade.
EuropeanPete and bhrubin like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.