Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

London Hotel Recommendations (newer consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
London hotels with a wealth of detailed posts, 2013 - 2017

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1475602-london-luxury-hotel.html
Print Wikipost

London Hotel Recommendations (newer consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:01 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Originally Posted by MacMyDay
Stayed in a suite in The Rosewood last week, just because I felt I had to give it another chance.

I don't get it.

I honestly don't see why anyone would pick it over any of the other far, far superior options in London, other than because they needed to be in the area for business. I didn't even bother taking any photos, so uninspiring it was. A hotel with over 300 rooms is hard to get inspired by. We arrived at midnight after a delay to our flight, where weirdly someone greeted our driver to ask if he was a driver, and yet then no one bothered helping with the luggage. We were then taken to the room, given a good show around, but quickly realised they had not setup the room as we asked nor even done turndown, so I call down to ask for some basic things like toothpaste and pillow, and after 30 minutes of waiting call again. The staff genuinely seemed to care, but kept making mistakes throughout our stay.

The first suite was just hideous, with long corridors leading into a claustrophobic bedroom and a bathroom like a maze of mirrors. We asked to move and were moved into another suite that felt about 5x bigger, yet strangely was the same room category. Much better, but still not good enough. Be wary more of your room number than your room type.
Somehow mirrored my experience few years ago, ie lack of greeting at arrival, poor service, ugly rooms. Glad to see I am not the only one to find the hotel awful.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 2:07 am

Stayed in a suite in The Rosewood last week, just because I felt I had to give it another chance.

I don't get it.

I honestly don't see why anyone would pick it over any of the other far, far superior options in London, other than because they needed to be in the area for business. I didn't even bother taking any photos, so uninspiring it was. A hotel with over 300 rooms is hard to get inspired by. We arrived at midnight after a delay to our flight, where weirdly someone greeted our driver to ask if he was a driver, and yet then no one bothered helping with the luggage. We were then taken to the room, given a good show around, but quickly realised they had not setup the room as we asked nor even done turndown, so I call down to ask for some basic things like toothpaste and pillow, and after 30 minutes of waiting call again. The staff genuinely seemed to care, but kept making mistakes throughout our stay.

The first suite was just hideous, with long corridors leading into a claustrophobic bedroom and a bathroom like a maze of mirrors. We asked to move and were moved into another suite that felt about 5x bigger, yet strangely was the same room category. Much better, but still not good enough. Be wary more of your room number than your room type.
I booked a stay at the Rosewood London about 4 years ago but my interactions with the Concierge rung alarm bells about the standards of service and I promptly cancelled it. I've never been back. Love the Rosewood in Abu Dhabi for business though - great service and staff there.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA
I keep hearing good things about the Corinthia and have booked it on a cancellable basis for August. It doesn’t seem to be mentioned in this thread. Is that because it isn’t well-regarded on this forum? Trying to decide whether to cancel and book one of the others.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by THEPUMA
I keep hearing good things about the Corinthia and have booked it on a cancellable basis for August. It doesn’t seem to be mentioned in this thread. Is that because it isn’t well-regarded on this forum? Trying to decide whether to cancel and book one of the others.
Corinthia was mentioned in another thread. If I remember correctly Feedback was pretty good.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 3:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by THEPUMA
I've stayed about a half dozen times, although not in the last year. Rooms are big although some courtyard facing rooms had very poor cellphone signals. Staff were very friendly and good, however, service in the restaurants was so and so. Food varied - but overall, was quite good. I heard they are changing restaurant concepts - not sure if they did that already. Supposedly they have a bunch of theme suites with private roof decks. My decision to stay was a combination of rate and location for business.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
Re Corinthia, I think it's regarded here as more of a 4 star hotel and not at the same level (particularly service) as some of the others. The spa is cool and the location can be very good depending on what you have planned. I liked it in 2 stays but haven't rushed back for whatever reason.

Last edited by Yahtzee; Jun 18, 2018 at 8:31 am
Old Jun 19, 2018, 5:08 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

look forward to seeing where pricesquire lands in london. His reports were actually pretty good back in the day.
callmedtop likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 5:46 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by DSI
look forward to seeing where pricesquire lands in london. His reports were actually pretty good back in the day.
Eep
callmedtop likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 8:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
I was looking for hotels that are more modern than traditional in terms of amenities - especially the bathrooms and after looking at the photos on trip advisor was deciding between the Shangri La and the Cafe Royal. Both locations look reasonably good. Which hotel is better?

Is there one I may have overlooked?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by tomcat007
I was looking for hotels that are more modern than traditional in terms of amenities - especially the bathrooms and after looking at the photos on trip advisor was deciding between the Shangri La and the Cafe Royal. Both locations look reasonably good. Which hotel is better?

If the choice is between Shangri-La and Café Royal, I would say the latter, as I prefer the Spa there.

But Shangri-La is an awful hotel and Café Royal very average. I would probably have a good look at 45 Park Lane, which is very modern with beautiful bathrooms as well. It also boutique sized and managed by Dorchester, which means very caring service — I would return.

Old Jul 3, 2018, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by tomcat007

The bathrooms of the contemporary wing at the Connaught are very modern, sleek, with the best rainshower ever.
Bvlgari offers also very modern and masculine bathrooms.
On the other side of the city FS Trinity Square deluxe suite has a very nice and light bathroom with unpolished white marble which looks very modern.
scented likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:24 am

Programs: Marriott Gold
Thanks. I’ll take a look at these also.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:17 am

I'd like to digress and talk about hotel GMs. Many of the hotel discussions (Aman in particular) have a lot of chatter about who is running the hotel, who is leaving, etc. but I haven't seen it much on the London Luxury threads.
For example, I got to "know" Thomas Kochs via the Claridge's tv series, then he went to Cafe Royal and then on to the Corinthia, all in very short order. I hated my one stay at Claridge's but always enjoyed the River Suites at the
Corinthia. While noted above, it is not a top, top hotel, we find it comfortable. Now, with this gentleman in charge, I am not sure I want to go back. Am I overestimating the impact a new GM will have on an already existing hotel?
Old Jul 27, 2018, 10:29 am

I actually quite like Thomas Kochs. My fiancé worked in the management team with him at Cafe Royal, so I can assure you that you should not look too much into his short stay there as a blemish on his CV, as that property was and likely still is a sinking ship. The only mistake was thinking he had a big enough plug.

I think it greatly depends on the GM as to the impact they have. Some are great at marketing, so leave the running to the Hotel Manager; some are better with logistics, others better at improving the bottom line, others better at creating a guest experience. I've met the existing GM of The Connaught less than 5 times in 3 years, and I used to stay 50 nights a year. He joined at the same time as the new owners took over, which makes it hard to tell who had the biggest impact, but there has definitely been an overall cost cutting, reduction in amenities, staff retention and service. A different owner with a different vision brings in a GM to execute it. Who is to blame?

I absolutely hated my experience with the GM at Amangiri, but it didn't stop me going to Amanpulo when I discovered he had moved there. Unless he's a tyrant to staff, it hopefully will not seep into them dropping standards. Most of the time we don't really know whether it's the owners message, GM or some saintly staff who are responsible for the service standards, so I tend not to focus too much on it. There are some exceptional GMs that I would follow to another property, whilst the majority are neither exceptional or dross and I pay no attention to. Similar to almost every industry, including sports.

I feel as a guest the biggest impact we feel from the GM on a short stay is their actual physical presence around the hotel. It's always a pleasure to have the GM come greet you, chat to you and check in with you, yet in a 200+ room hotel you're unlikely to ever see him anyway.
Yahtzee and BESVISOR like this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 9:52 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
I actually quite like Thomas Kochs. My fiancé worked in the management team with him at Cafe Royal, so I can assure you that you should not look too much into his short stay there as a blemish on his CV, as that property was and likely still is a sinking ship. The only mistake was thinking he had a big enough plug.

I think it greatly depends on the GM as to the impact they have. Some are great at marketing, so leave the running to the Hotel Manager; some are better with logistics, others better at improving the bottom line, others better at creating a guest experience. I've met the existing GM of The Connaught less than 5 times in 3 years, and I used to stay 50 nights a year. He joined at the same time as the new owners took over, which makes it hard to tell who had the biggest impact, but there has definitely been an overall cost cutting, reduction in amenities, staff retention and service. A different owner with a different vision brings in a GM to execute it. Who is to blame?

I absolutely hated my experience with the GM at Amangiri, but it didn't stop me going to Amanpulo when I discovered he had moved there. Unless he's a tyrant to staff, it hopefully will not seep into them dropping standards. Most of the time we don't really know whether it's the owners message, GM or some saintly staff who are responsible for the service standards, so I tend not to focus too much on it. There are some exceptional GMs that I would follow to another property, whilst the majority are neither exceptional or dross and I pay no attention to. Similar to almost every industry, including sports.

I feel as a guest the biggest impact we feel from the GM on a short stay is their actual physical presence around the hotel. It's always a pleasure to have the GM come greet you, chat to you and check in with you, yet in a 200+ room hotel you're unlikely to ever see him anyway.

Just had a client complete stay at Connaught and loved it (went on about the wonderful service), similar to your usual experience there.

Side note: He is no longer GM at Pulo. His Ex-wife (heard they split up, unfortunately), Audeline is now the GM and she is wonderful! Met her last Summer at Pulo and worked with her as well. Always a pleasure and has attention to details. Surely her leadership will be better.
He might be at Amanyangyun, now, I think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.