Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

London Hotel Recommendations (newer consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
London hotels with a wealth of detailed posts, 2013 - 2017

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1475602-london-luxury-hotel.html
Print Wikipost

London Hotel Recommendations (newer consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2022, 8:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
It looks like the Connaught has a new cigar and whisky room - cannot wait to try it out next time I’m back
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by steveholt
So, reporting back. I booked the Iconic City View room at the Shangri-La and then paid an additional Ł100 per night to block into a room that had a bathtub with a view of the city. (The hotel charged me this Ł100 per night, but then did not offer any FHR upgrade, telling me "thankfully the room you booked is wonderful!") With regards to my requests (tub with a view, close to Tube line), the Shangri-La absolutely fit my requests.

In just about every other way, I was thoroughly disappointed. Service at the hotel was extremely subpar. When we got to our room, the stop function on the Toto bidet did not register or work, which meant that we had to unplug the toilet to prevent the water from running. It took an hour, two calls, and two visits to fix the issue. Routine calls for ice repeatedly required two, sometimes three calls. Wifi would routinely disconnect and reconnect.

Breakfast was dismal. Lukewarm meats and pancakes from the buffet. No variety of a la carte options available. I recognize that this isn't a Shangri-La in Asia, but I had much higher expectations for a luxury hotel.

At checkout, the hotel tried to charge me for the overages at breakfast (a drink each day) and a minibar purchase, even though those should have been covered by the $100 credit. They also put on a 5% discretionary service charge, about which we were not informed at any point before checkout. It took a manager and 20 minutes to fix everything.
Awful!

They always had service issues there and presumably the current situation post covid isn't exactly helping things.

I had a bit of hope for Shangri La when FS veteran William Mackay took over, but this brand is really not that interesting frankly.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Zephyrous
If you got the Ł315 rate that’s listed in the brochure then that’s a great discount (almost a steal?) for London’s current standards for a luxury hotel comparable to the Rosewood. And it is a really nice hotel and decent area.

just finished a 4 night stay early july. On a aba rate. I was with my wife and 10 year old. The deluxe room was small.

Im part of the jeans and t shirt crowd and do not look like a top tier hotel consumer.

i found some staff to be pretentious and arrogant.

example. When coming or leaving the hotel on foot in the evenings. You have to pass by the fancy hotel bar entrance and doormen. Im entering the driveway at 10pm. I would say clearly I'm a hotel guest coming home in the evening. The doormen give me attitude and look down on me passing by. The moment only lasted 1.5 seconds. But creates a bad vibe even before entering the hotel.

example. The hotel makes a big deal of the pie room. While waiting for the crew get ready in the morning for tourist stuff. I went down to try and buy takeout pie. Seems thats not an option. Eat in only. Was disappointed.

in the morning when in the elevator opening into the lobby. You are greeted by several luggage carts with luggage loaded. Presumably in transit to rooms or waiting to be loaded into vehicles for departure. Just a bad welcome in the morning to the lobby. Not really top tier. Stick it in the luggage room. I have pics if anyone interested.

bellman and hotel greeters seem to be wearing suits of their choosing. Making it hard to identify who is hotel staff and who are guests. More difficult to figure out to who to ask assistance and ask for help.

i recognize i paid cheap aba rate. But if one is expecting top tier hotel service even common hotel operation standards. They will be disappointed as i was. Ill try somewhere else next time.
HumbleBee likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 3:22 pm

We stayed two weeks ago at the Mandarin Oriental. First stay there as my usual place was the Bvlgari for years and before that the FSPL. We were pleasantly surprised with the size of the Mandarin room and the bathroom had a shower and a tub in a wet area which was unexpected (room description on the website is not very detailed). Service was excellent, even if breakfast was slightly disappointing. The Knightsbridge tube entrance right across is very convenient, the pool is nice and not crowded. Before opening of the Peninsula we would go back there with no hesitation!
offerendum likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 7:58 pm

Programs: Westjet Platinum, ALL Limitless, Amex Platinum
Trip with kids - Rosewood, Great Scotland Yard or Shard?

I have very much enjoyed reading through this thread in my research for our upcoming London trip, and I would be grateful for your guys thoughts on this.

We are a family of 4 (2 children age 9 and7) travelling for leisure this August for a week, and have been looking at some family suitable luxury hotel options in London. Looks for sightseeing and a luxury stay with nice food and drink. Family friendly hotels a big factor. A pool would be an advantage, but not a dealbreaker.

After much research I have the following options on the table:
Family connecting rooms at Rosewood (executive king to executive twin), Ł770/night (the second room is free with their promotion) with breakfast for 4.
Family connecting rooms at Great Scotland Yard (coutyard king to courtyard twin), Ł830/night, breakfast for 2 included.
Iconic View Suite at the Shangri La Shard, Ł1390/night with breakfast for 2. (this option may need to use a sofa bed I think)
Four Seasons Ten Trinity - Executive room, Ł820/night, with breakfast for 2.

Are there any thoughts on what I would be best to go for? The Rosewood seems the best deal for the money. Great Scotland Yard looks very cool, although the main restaurant seems to be closed during our stay. They have a two Bedroom Townhouse which I could be tempted for a couple of nights, pricey though. Iconic View suite at Shangri La looks a great hard product to me, and the pool appeals. Four Seasons Ten Trinity looks a big spacious room, although loses the advantage of a separate room for after the kids go to bed. Pool looks really nice though....

I also looked at MO, Savoy, Claridges, Connaught etc. but all seem prohibitively expensive for a room that can accommodate 4 people. Langham does have a family room, so that may also be an option.

Very grateful for all your suggestions
Old Aug 2, 2022, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 5mSvGlow
I have very much enjoyed reading through this thread in my research for our upcoming London trip, and I would be grateful for your guys thoughts on this.

We are a family of 4 (2 children age 9 and7) travelling for leisure this August for a week, and have been looking at some family suitable luxury hotel options in London. Looks for sightseeing and a luxury stay with nice food and drink. Family friendly hotels a big factor. A pool would be an advantage, but not a dealbreaker.

Family connecting rooms at Rosewood (executive king to executive twin), Ł770/night (the second room is free with their promotion) with breakfast for 4.
Family connecting rooms at Great Scotland Yard (coutyard king to courtyard twin), Ł830/night, breakfast for 2 included.
Iconic View Suite at the Shangri La Shard, Ł1390/night with breakfast for 2. (this option may need to use a sofa bed I think)

Are there any thoughts on what I would be best to go for? The Rosewood seems the best deal for the money. Great Scotland Yard looks very cool, although the main restaurant seems to be closed during our stay. They have a two Bedroom Townhouse which I could be tempted for a couple of nights, pricey though. Iconic View suite at Shangri La looks a great hard product to me, and the pool appeals. Four Seasons Ten Trinity looks a big spacious room, although loses the advantage of a separate room for after the kids go to bed. Pool looks really nice though....

I also looked at MO, Savoy, Claridges, Connaught etc. but all seem prohibitively expensive for a room that can accommodate 4 people. Langham does have a family room, so that may also be an option.

Great Scotland Yard has the tiniest rooms (even their suites are small and not many of them either) and service hasn't been so great with the pandemic. I would probably only stay there for the Hyatt badge pickup and that's it.

Rosewood, Shangrila and Four Seasons all better options. Try to book through a reputable agent for Rosewood Elite, FSPP, etc and maybe your family room upgrade options can increase.

Last edited by Aventine; Aug 2, 2022 at 7:10 am
Old Aug 2, 2022, 7:26 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do not view either the Great Scotland Yard hotel or the Four Seasons Ten Trinity as luxury hotels. Rooms at the GSH hotel are microscopic in size, tiny tiny. To paraphrase Mark Twain, "You can't swing a cat in the room, not without doing harm to the cat."

While the Executive room at the FS 10 Trinity is large, most of them have only an internal view of a wall and the service at the hotel is mediocre, sometimes terrible.

Haven't been to either of the other two.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 8:17 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
I would go with the Rosewood. The location is not the best but is not bad and the hard product is really good. Price seems very good. We had a very nice stay there a couple of years ago.
Aventine likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 12:10 am

Programs: Westjet Platinum, ALL Limitless, Amex Platinum
Thank you so much for these suggestions. Rosewood seems to be winning out with ease - great as its the cheapest option! Have you guys tried the Townhouse at Great Scotland Yard? Avoids the tiny room issues?
Old Aug 3, 2022, 12:16 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I'm trying the Rosewood shortly and will report back. Booked a Junior Suite via FHR and was upgraded in advance to a Deluxe Suite.

My impressions so far are exemplary for pre arrival. The Concierge and Reservations team are wonderfully efficient and swift in responses. I'm quite excited for the stay.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Thank you so much for these suggestions. Rosewood seems to be winning out with ease - great as its the cheapest option! Have you guys tried the Townhouse at Great Scotland Yard? Avoids the tiny room issues?
If money is no issue then totally go for the townhouse.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 8:36 am

I'd consider Café Royal - they can close off two rooms behind one door rather than them being adjoining. Buys you a couple extra sqm as well...

Location for a family also good being right by Piccadilly Square.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed
I'm trying the Rosewood shortly and will report back. Booked a Junior Suite via FHR and was upgraded in advance to a Deluxe Suite.

My impressions so far are exemplary for pre arrival. The Concierge and Reservations team are wonderfully efficient and swift in responses. I'm quite excited for the stay.
How do the FHR rates and amenities compare to the ABA rates? See post 432 in this thread.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 1:28 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by richarddd
How do the FHR rates and amenities compare to the ABA rates? See post 432 in this thread.
I compared and FHR was the same for suites. Base rooms were slightly cheaper. Obviously, better benefits via FHR. If I didn’t have AMEX travel credits I would have booked through a Rosewood Elite TA.

I have to say I am already astounded by how amazing this hotel is. Will post a full review later.
richarddd likes this.

Last edited by m0hamed; Aug 4, 2022 at 1:33 pm
Old Sep 3, 2022, 3:51 pm
Original Member

This links to an interesting list of London hotels including the usual suspects but, as well to interesting (to me) venues new or newish on my radar situated in locales different.

https://hauteliving.com/2022/08/haut...orhood/672031/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.