Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Bawah Island (Indonesian island not too far from Singapore)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bawah Island (Indonesian island not too far from Singapore)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:52 pm

Programs: SIA PPS
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Do you happen to have some photos of the rooms?
It doesn't have to be all marble for me, but I don't want to pay 2000$ per night for 3-star hardware, no matter if everything is included or not. It's a ton of money, and for that you can book some really nice hotels even in the Maldives etc.
Unfortunately I don't usually do reviews so nothing more than family photos that I have from the trip.

The rooms are nice and I would probably put them in a 4 to 4.5 star region for room hardware alone. For comparison, in my mind a 5 star room in hardware would be something like Upper House or Landmark Oriental in Hong Kong or Capella/Fullerton Bay in Singapore.

From my perspective, based in Singapore, the rate is high but the rate includes resort transfer (via boat/sea plane), meals and spa treatment. If my comparison is Maldives, I don't have to worry about airfare from Singapore to Male and again from Male to resort, meals/drinks at resorts can be expensive as well as spa treatment.

For Bawah, all these are included. The beaches and water are beautiful and there is terrain so that even mountain hikes are a nice activity.

I'm yet to visit Nihi Sumba but I would classify both resorts as comparable peers. In fact, the MD and GM of Nihi Sumba were at Bawah Reserve the same time that I was there to pay a visit so we had a nice conversation over drinks.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Thank you.
Do you have any suggestion for a beautiful beach resort that has a great beach, great service and great hardware? Which would have good weather in mid April? Something that’s not too complicated to get to from Singapore.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:58 pm

Thank you.
Do you have any suggestion for a beautiful beach resort that has a great beach, great service and great hardware? Which would have good weather in mid April? Something that’s not too complicated to get to from Singapore.
Ultimately Mother Nature by the sea can be punishing and age hardware quickly. While the rooms at Bawah Reserve were one notch below 5 star in my opinion, the rest of the facilities such as restaurant, spa, games area, etc were five star.

In my opinion, 5 star in each of the categories you want and also convenient to Singapore is hard and there are areas you need to give and take.

A lot of the 5 star resorts convenient to Singapore will be in the usual places such as Bali, Langkawi, Phuket, etc. I've been to places like Amanoi which door to door from Singapore takes a while including domestic transfer to Cam Ranh and the beach was nothing compared to Bawah.

For me, I personally prefer a place that I feel is cut off from civilization. Perhaps something like Nihi Sumba would be a comparison (but again you need to take another domestic transfer in Indonesia to Sumba Island).
Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:28 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Thank you.
The Datai at Langkawi probably your best choice especially with the recent refurbish.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:42 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
I can live with the rooms being a little less than 5 stars, if the other factors (especially service and beach) make up for that.

I simply recently went to Providencia, Colombia, thinking we would find a beautiful island with stunning beaches and a nice boutique hotel, and what we found was just poverty, brown water (lots of sand) and staff with zero training (I have received better service at McDonald’s, no kidding). And believe me, the hotel was not cheap. After this experience I am simply really scared of making the same mistake twice and we want to finally have the experience we were looking for. And I’ve learned that room prices can’t be trusted as a measurement of service quality.
For all I know, Bawah could be a 4-star tourist trap with excellent marketing, justifying its high prices by everything being included... Or it could indeed be this super-luxurious paradise with simply slightly simpler rooms. Or something in between. (By the way, what are the beds like? They look very simple, IKEA style, in the photos...?)

I don’t consider Phuket or Langkawi to be too far away from Singapore (but MNL/Amanpulo probably is). We’ve also thought about the Datai. I’ve stayed at the Westin and the St. Regis Langkawi and the beach sucked, but we knew that before we went.
A friend of mine also loved the Andaman, while another friend didn’t (he said the food was mediocre and overpriced, the hotel needed a refresh etc.).
But I’m not sure if the Datai etc. have nice beaches? Frim photos/videos I’ve seen, it looks like the sand is quite dark, the beach seems to be mostly in the shade...? And the waters look so calm, it looks like a lake (water quality if there is no movement in it...?).

We could also split our time between the Datai and Bawah...
Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:38 am

I can live with the rooms being a little less than 5 stars, if the other factors (especially service and beach) make up for that.

I simply recently went to Providencia, Colombia, thinking we would find a beautiful island with stunning beaches and a nice boutique hotel, and what we found was just poverty, brown water (lots of sand) and staff with zero training (I have received better service at McDonald’s, no kidding). And believe me, the hotel was not cheap. After this experience I am simply really scared of making the same mistake twice and we want to finally have the experience we were looking for. And I’ve learned that room prices can’t be trusted as a measurement of service quality.
For all I know, Bawah could be a 4-star tourist trap with excellent marketing, justifying its high prices by everything being included... Or it could indeed be this super-luxurious paradise with simply slightly simpler rooms. Or something in between. (By the way, what are the beds like? They look very simple, IKEA style, in the photos...?)

I don’t consider Phuket or Langkawi to be too far away from Singapore (but MNL/Amanpulo probably is). We’ve also thought about the Datai. I’ve stayed at the Westin and the St. Regis Langkawi and the beach sucked, but we knew that before we went.
A friend of mine also loved the Andaman, while another friend didn’t (he said the food was mediocre and overpriced, the hotel needed a refresh etc.).
But I’m not sure if the Datai etc. have nice beaches? Frim photos/videos I’ve seen, it looks like the sand is quite dark, the beach seems to be mostly in the shade...? And the waters look so calm, it looks like a lake (water quality if there is no movement in it...?).

We could also split our time between the Datai and Bawah...
I just sent you a PM and can share some of my photos/videos from our trip. It's not something I would post on this forum being so public (mostly family photos) but you can get a sense for the quality of the resort. It's a place I would highly recommend if you are OK with the budget. I can also connect you with the COO/GM of the hotel as well if you like.
ChocolateFactory likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

great reports! thanks StarAllianceFan, others
preferences re sand do vary, when comparing
IIRC datai beach compared in recent threads

bawah, pulo at same scale (pulo 2.6 km)
followed by puri/surin on phuket

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 18, 2019 at 12:07 pm
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:35 pm

Lol, where’s the beach at Bawah?
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Lol, where’s the beach at Bawah?
They're tiny beaches spread across the islands. It's not a long stretch of beach.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:32 pm

My colleague just left Bawah, he was there for 3 nights.

Yes, the resort is really, really rustic - far, far more than Six Senses/Soneva - so if you care for that sort of stuff more than a destination in itself, avoid it as it will grate.
Service has been okay, certainly improved since some earlier feedback I had from guests where every little thing was requested was replied to with "Let me check with the manager" - although sitll not very attentive (things in the room not picked up/cleaned away in a timely manner, room items not replenished etc).
More thought could also have gone into the actual room/hard product itself - though obviously they're really, really going for the rustic vibe - the shower for instance is a joke (I don't have a good photo to share but it's basically a small area with a curtain - water inevitably flows out...)

Basically, he said you have to rate Bawah the resort and Bawah the destination separately. It's one of the most spectacular destinations he's been to. The resort, ignoring the rustic elements etc, still needs a lot of work.

They are developing more villas, including a set of 4 villas (some 2-bedroom) on one of the small islands. It'll be a 'private island' - similar to how Naladhu operates in that that island will only be for guests of the villas, and these guests will have access to other Bawah islands, but other Bawah guests may not be able to access this particular island.

It is expensive for what it is, but the rates do include everything (except diving and alcohol) and on a 5th night free, that's not too bad. You do need ~4 nights to really experience as much as possible.
However, the canopy villas are really not great so you do have to splurge for at least a beach.

Coral is badly bleached, though better in some parts than others

Some pics of his:

livefromtuscany likes this.

Last edited by chinmoylad; Feb 9, 2019 at 11:37 pm
Old Feb 10, 2019, 2:43 am

Pics are missing?

Anyway, the sea and beaches look so amazing (I checked your Instagram account now), but I think we won't go. Value for money just seems way off for me.
Even if you get the 5th night free (do you), assuming the transfer is worth 500 USD per person (which I think probably is a stretch), you'd be looking at (4x2000USD)-(2x500USD)=7000 USD for 5 nights, or 1400 USD per night.
That money gets you quite far at other top-notch luxury hotels that don't have these issues.
It's sad because I really would have liked to go, but I also care about value for money.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:35 am

Pics are missing?

Anyway, the sea and beaches look so amazing (I checked your Instagram account now), but I think we won't go. Value for money just seems way off for me.
Even if you get the 5th night free (do you), assuming the transfer is worth 500 USD per person (which I think probably is a stretch), you'd be looking at (4x2000USD)-(2x500USD)=7000 USD for 5 nights, or 1400 USD per night.
That money gets you quite far at other top-notch luxury hotels that don't have these issues.
It's sad because I really would have liked to go, but I also care about value for money.
Oops yea - I linked from Instagram - it used to embed automatically, no longer working for some reason - any idea mods @RichardInSF?

Yes, they have a 5th night free rate (I'm pretty sure in 2017 or 2018 it was 4th night free for a while which made it much better still).

I also just uploaded a photo of the shower 'stall' by the way.

Last edited by chinmoylad; Feb 10, 2019 at 3:41 am
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:43 am

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Pics are missing?

+1
I thought this would be worthy of checking out and somehow thought it was offering a level of hard product similar to Nihi Sumba but it seems not.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:14 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Oops yea - I linked from Instagram - it used to embed automatically, no longer working for some reason - any idea mods @RichardInSF?....
No idea, I've never used Instagram. Maybe upload them to a computer of yours from Instagram and then download to FT? Does seem clumsy, though. Even if it is a bug, Internet Brands is very slow to fix them, in my experience.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:29 am

Pics are missing?

Originally Posted by Nizar
+1
I thought this would be worthy of checking out and somehow thought it was offering a level of hard product similar to Nihi Sumba but it seems not.
I've just checked with them on this - they can and will do upgrades from booking the Garden Suite to the Beach Suite.complimentary, so USD 1,780 x 3 (minimum nights) or 5 (might as well do 5 if you do 4 with the 5th night free offer) - similar to how Amanpulo does upgrades from treetop or hillside to beach casita almost every time.

There are 3 garden suites, 21 beach suites, 11 overwater villas and the deluxe beach suite.
The Deluxe Beach Suite has a separate dining area, and it's connected to a beach suite (so can be turned into a 2-bedroom). They are considering adding a private pool to this suite.

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
No idea, I've never used Instagram. Maybe upload them to a computer of yours from Instagram and then download to FT? Does seem clumsy, though. Even if it is a bug, Internet Brands is very slow to fix them, in my experience.
Ah no worries - I'll just do the full photos later once the review/DSLR pics/video etc everything is up. For now, it's hosted on my IG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.