FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Need Recs: Long Weekend in Virginia w/ luxury hotel or inn featuring gluten-free fare (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1901033-need-recs-long-weekend-virginia-w-luxury-hotel-inn-featuring-gluten-free-fare.html)

umbrella007 Mar 27, 2018 9:06 pm

Need Recs: Long Weekend in Virginia w/ luxury hotel or inn featuring gluten-free fare

Have a weekend gap between work in Richmond and D.C., so looking to spend a long weekend somewhere in the commonwealth (or a short one-way flight away)... but need a luxury hotel or inn with dedicated gluten-free options. Any known destinations or luxury hotels for a getaway who cater beyond a few GF marked items on a menu would be ideal. Thanks for any suggestions.

obscure2k Mar 27, 2018 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by umbrella007 (Post 29575037)
Have a weekend gap between work in Richmond and D.C., so looking to spend a long weekend somewhere in the commonwealth (or a short one-way flight away)... but need a luxury hotel or inn with dedicated gluten-free options. Any known destinations or luxury hotels for a getaway who cater beyond a few GF marked items on a menu would be ideal. Thanks for any suggestions.

I doubt that you will find suggestions for luxury hotels "featuring glue-free fare." I think you should concentrate on looking for luxury hotels in the area. I believe that many fine luxury hotels may not feature gluten free options but will offer those options on request.
I attended a Tea at the Peninsula Hotel In Beverly Hills this weekend and one guest asked our waiter if her sandwiches and pastries and scones were available gluten free as that was not listed on the menu. The waiter said that they had a chef dedicated to making all of those items gluten free.

DCtrAAveler Mar 28, 2018 9:04 am

You'd need to check on the restaurant's ability to meet your gluten-free needs, but I'd suggest you look into The Inn at Little Washington. It has a great reputation in the area, and the restaurant is consistently rated among the top tables in the DC/Northern Virginia area.

KatW Mar 28, 2018 12:03 pm

The Inn at Perry Cabin

ABG Mar 28, 2018 7:19 pm

Look at The Salamander...... not the most upscale but an easy drive from DC, close to the sites and from memory the chef has a certain panache for gluten free. Assuming it is still the same chef that was there 4 or 5 years ago.

FlyingDoctorwu Mar 28, 2018 9:57 pm

Not sure about Gluten Free but the Inn at Willow Grove looks nice...

honestly with the weather warming up the FS Baltimore is a nice option... because you know, Baltimore... you get used to it....

FDW

instyleprincess Mar 29, 2018 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by DCtrAAveler (Post 29576668)
You'd need to check on the restaurant's ability to meet your gluten-free needs, but I'd suggest you look into The Inn at Little Washington. It has a great reputation in the area, and the restaurant is consistently rated among the top tables in the DC/Northern Virginia area.

I second The Inn at Little Washington! There wasn't a whole lot to do on property though, but the food was amazing! Totally worth a weekend trip

Distilled Apr 16, 2018 7:01 pm

Also can look at Keswick Hall or Omni Homestead. Both would be much more on your way from Richmond to DC.

I've never stayed at Omni Homestead, but have wanted to. They don't allow pets so we haven't been there. But supposed to be nice.

Keswick Hall is just outside of Charlottesville, so pretty close to Richmond. Its great, a nice older property with only ~50 rooms. Several pools, a nice Pete Dye golf course if you are a fellow golfer, and a great restaurant. Not sure about gluten free, can check with them. But we love this property and go there a couple times a year. Close to Charlottesville so can go there, do horseback riding, wine/cider tasting, etc. Highly recommended.

Inn at Willow Grove is also nearby as well, a little closer to DC. Never been, gets great reviews. On my list.

Inn at Perry Cabin is quite nice, the restaurant is amazing. Its going to be farther out of the way for you, but not unreasonable. To get there, essentially have to get to the DC beltway and then go east for about 1.5 hrs, maybe more if traffic bad over Bay Bridge. Unless you want to go south to Norfolk and cross over to the eastern shore and drive up. The property is iconic and recognizable from a couple films. The rooms are fine. The pool is small and not a lot of on property amenities, but walkable to the town of St. Michaels which is nice. The restaurant at the property is excellent. Again, would check with them for gluten free options.

My understanding is that Inn at Little Washington has really amazing food, but not much to do. From those I've spoken to, its great for a night but get bored really quickly.

There are several other smaller properties in Virginia as well that I've had on my list to check out. But my wife and I always decide to go to Keswick or Inn at Perry Cabin because we like them.