Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Komaneka Bisma vs Komaneka Monkey Forest (Ubud, Bali)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Komaneka Bisma vs Komaneka Monkey Forest (Ubud, Bali)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2018, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Question Komaneka Bisma vs Komaneka Monkey Forest (Ubud, Bali)

We are planning to spend a week in Ubud at the end of August and have narrowed the hotel search down to these two. They both look lovely, but can anyone help contrast them with respect to the area around it. One of our main criteria is ability to walk to "things": meals, shops, yoga etc. I don't want to have to get into a car to get to those things easily even if drivers are plentiful. A 5-15 minute walk is what I have in mind so it is not such a project to go out to do things.

Any other opinions, general surroundings etc. to help with a decision much appreciated!

Last edited by mstraveler; Mar 19, 2018 at 5:51 pm
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:33 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

These don't look like luxury hotels to me, but I am not sure -- can I get comments on this?

Thanks,
RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels and travel
Old Mar 19, 2018, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
RichardInSF, there was a couple of other threads about these hotels in this forum with several comments including one by a very frequent poster I recognized from this forum, which is why I posted it here.

[And thanks for adding the Ubud; I realized I had forgotten it and went back to edit it, but apparently we can't edit titles.]

Remove from this forum if inappropriate.

Last edited by mstraveler; Mar 19, 2018 at 11:04 pm
Old Mar 20, 2018, 2:02 am

Stayed at both hotels a few years ago....originally booked the Monkey Forest for location but they moved us after one night to Bisma due to a problem with the swimming pool.

Bisma was far superior at that time, lovely large room with balcony and great view over rice terraces. It was around a 10 to 15 minute walk to get to the main areas although there were restaurants and shops on the road into town, probably more now! Monkey Forest is probably in a better location as you walk straight out onto one of the main streets but although the room was nice it was much smaller.

If you don't mind a short walk then go for Bisma, I was happy that we were moved.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 2:28 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
These don't look like luxury hotels to me, but I am not sure -- can I get comments on this?

Thanks,
RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels and travel
Goes back to the question of what luxury is. I'd rather stay at one of these (or several other boutique Balinese chains) than at the garish W Seminyak or at the bland St Regis Nusa Dua.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Cyan 123, thank you and very helpful. Good to have a contrast for the hotels themselves and a sense of what is in the neighborhood with walking times.

And chinmoylad your comment is apt for my question. We have stayed in luxury resorts in places like these (Four Seasons Papagayo, Nevis etc.) and they are lovely and just what I want sometimes. But they are usually quite a bit out of town and for this trip we wanted a boutique hotel closer into Ubud. We are hoping the find the same in our other two destinations, Munduk and Lombok. Any suggestions for those gratefully appreciated!!
Old Mar 20, 2018, 8:33 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by mstraveler
Cyan 123, thank you and very helpful. Good to have a contrast for the hotels themselves and a sense of what is in the neighborhood with walking times.

And chinmoylad your comment is apt for my question. We have stayed in luxury resorts in places like these (Four Seasons Papagayo, Nevis etc.) and they are lovely and just what I want sometimes. But they are usually quite a bit out of town and for this trip we wanted a boutique hotel closer into Ubud. We are hoping the find the same in our other two destinations, Munduk and Lombok. Any suggestions for those gratefully appreciated!!
I don't think St Regis Nusa Dua and W Bali are comparable to Four Seasons Papagayo to be fair - the W is buzzing and in Seminyak central, and the St Regis isn't exactly secluded out on a stretch of resorts in Nusa Dua.

I don't recall how close walking distance the two Komanekas are to Ubud town (which really isn't a very nice place anymore - you'd ideally want to be a drive away to be honest). Also check out Kayumanis Ubud for a similar vibe to Komaneka.

While Komaneka/Kayumanis could be blurring the lines, this resort is certainly way below the line: check out Munduk Moding Plantation in Munduk. Never done Lombok.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: some
I stayed at both - first night at the forest one and due to construction noise asked to move to Bisma, which I much, much preferred. Neither is remotely 'luxury' but both are comfortable and more than adequate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.