Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Do the minutiae factor into your hotel choice? (Bath Amenities, Room Temp, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do the minutiae factor into your hotel choice? (Bath Amenities, Room Temp, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2018, 11:32 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K

There’s quite the side discussion happening in the StR NYC thread about bath amenities and whether or not they factor into someone’s hotel choice.

I’m curious if any of you take small details like that into account when choosing a hotel?

I for one, don’t really care about the bath amenities, though do have preferences. I dislike Acqua di Parma, but enjoy Hermès and some other.

As for other things, I expect the air con to go low, ~65F and stay there. But again, I don’t choose hotels based on that.

Are there any any other small details you all look for?
Old Mar 17, 2018, 12:13 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by United747
There’s quite the side discussion happening in the StR NYC thread about bath amenities and whether or not they factor into someone’s hotel choice.

I’m curious if any of you take small details like that into account when choosing a hotel?

I for one, don’t really care about the bath amenities, though do have preferences. I dislike Acqua di Parma, but enjoy Hermès and some other.

As for other things, I expect the air con to go low, ~65F and stay there. But again, I don’t choose hotels based on that.

Are there any any other small details you all look for?
I would suspect that some find air con not to be minutia but a big big deal......

I for one loathe L'Occitance bath products (they make my head itch)... however, it doesn't deter me from a hotel. I just request alternate products (and thankfully FS seems to know to provide me such without even requesting).....

FDW
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 12:15 pm

The attention to minutia is what delineates a true luxury hotel from a simply nice 4* property. L'occitane bath products at a Kimpton? Sure, that's fine. Oh, but there would be hell to pay if I saw that stinky, sticky goo in a Four Seasons bathroom.
BLV and CappuccinoAddict like this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
I have never looked twice at bath amenities before booking a property. Never.
The minutia that I do consider include: dual vanities (there is an extensive conversation around this topic somewhere) and a walk-in shower if it can be had (no bathtub needed). Finding a property with a complimentary mini-bar is gold - not even because we drink very much, but just because sometimes I like to grab a Diet Coke and don't like being gouged. I know it's priced in the room, but leave me alone!

In the meantime, I'm sitting in the lobby of the Grand Hyatt ICN and just paid $18 US for two cups of coffee (one cup + refill). Now THAT is gouging!
bhrubin, QPRfan, MacMyDay and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 2:12 pm

The thing about bath products at hotels is that 1) they mostly all come off the same production lines and are made from the same raw materials, and 2) what hotels pay for them are not in line with what people might expect. That said, I will reconsider if they have Aesop!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I appreciate places that take care of all the minutiae things involved in a hotel stay. And I'll pay for that kind of service or thoughtfulness.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 12:53 am

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
For me, hotels which offer rooms with shower/tub combo immediately rule themselves out of consideration.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by Nizar
For me, hotels which offer rooms with shower/tub combo immediately rule themselves out of consideration.
+1 for this. Hate them.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 9:04 am
Aman Contributor Badge

The less smells the better. That includes in the air and in the toiletries (perfumed soaps and lotions are really not good for your skin, luxury or otherwise).
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 4:48 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
This is a good one, I try to avoid the combo as much as possible.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Cityflyer10
The less smells the better. That includes in the air and in the toiletries (perfumed soaps and lotions are really not good for your skin, luxury or otherwise).
One of the many reasons why Las Vegas is the worst place on earth.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

+2
I also really dislike this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:29 pm

Hard to answer the question. I don't think I'd really factor in the brand of toiletries or type of turndown gift as a major reason for choosing one hotel over another - it's the location, room and facilities that are my main concerns - but I travel more for business than pleasure. But then, if it came down to a choice of two hotels that were equally appealing in terms of location, room and facilities, then yes, maybe it would be the minutiae that swing it one way or another.

While there are people posting that the minutiae don't matter to them, the heated conversations on other threads regarding things such as toiletries suggests otherwise. Certainly, you read in reviews how people are looking forward to their Bentley or Rolls Royce airport pickup from hotel x, so it clearly does have some kind of influence on decision making. Just maybe not the main the factor.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 1:27 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Such small things are generally not part of the decision making process for me in choosing between several hotels. Most often I will already make a decision before thinking of such things, based on location, rooms, service, pool etc. However, in terms of choice of rooms within the specific hotel, I look more closely at room layout, bathroom size (two vanities, separate shower and bathtub etc.). I do not care very much absolut toiletries, most often I bring my own anyway or if I use what is provided, my hair and skin often enjoy the variation. However, if I dislike the fragrance, I would ask for something else, but this has happened only 2 or 3 times.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
The little things don't worry me. I can always bring my own shampoo or buy drinks to have in the room instead of the stuff I don't like in the mini bar but I can't bring my own bed and crisp sheets etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.