Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

St Regis New York: Table 55 Decadence at the King Cole Bar and a Spectacular Stay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St Regis New York: Table 55 Decadence at the King Cole Bar and a Spectacular Stay

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2018, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

@bhrubin,

Did they enforce any kind of daily spending limit on breakfast or was it to your belly's contentment?
Old Mar 13, 2018, 10:11 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
I was hoping the two of you would get upgraded to the Bentley Suite!

The Astor Suite looked similar to the Deluxe Suite that I normally stay in. The main difference is that the Deluxe Suite has a fireplace in the living room.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 1:05 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Thanks for a wonderful review and excellent photos.

It makes us very excited for our 5 night stay this week. Our SNAs have also cleared in advance on our reward Stay to an Astor Suite- we feel especially fortunate since the hotel is 100% booked now our first night.

Though we have been coming to the bar here for years and it’s one of our favorites, this will be our first stay at this St. Regis. We have had great experiences at other St Regis properties and have had the flagship on our list. We timed our visit so that this will be the hotel where I finally earn Lifetime Platinum.

I will post a report when we return to California.
SanDiego1K, bhrubin and AStarr like this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 3:55 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Love this hotel and the ambiance!
We had booked into an astor suite then $$$ upgraded to the small suite adjacent to the Bentley suite. So beautiful.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:15 am

I am seriously envious of that Table 55 experience^ It’s a fantastic idea, as that wine pricing was much more than fair. I could imagine doing that on one evening at the beginning of the stay and then perhaps having a bottle or two left over for the following day.

I assume the seven egg omelette is for sharing! I would ask for two half sized portions. It does sound delicious.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Great review, @bhrubin
Though I live in NYC, I have only been once to the King Cole Bar.
I remember seeing an older gentleman with 2 much younger and very attractive women.
That sight still has me *giggling*.
bhrubin and AStarr like this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Great report. I stayed at the SR prior to their renovation and loved it. It looks even better now.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:33 am

Thank you for the excellent and extremely comprehensive trip report. Fantastic as always! One thing that always irks me at StR properties is the use of Remede products. I don’t like them and they don’t seem to be in keeping with the brand. I once received Jo Malone and Acqua di Parma at StR Mauritius but I gather these were only reserved for large suites. I wish there was a bit more individualism within the brand like Four Seasons where they’re usually different everywhere you go. This doesn’t stop me from staying at a StR property just something I wish they would improve.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jonjparr
Thank you for the excellent and extremely comprehensive trip report. Fantastic as always! One thing that always irks me at StR properties is the use of Remede products. I don’t like them and they don’t seem to be in keeping with the brand. I once received Jo Malone and Acqua di Parma at StR Mauritius but I gather these were only reserved for large suites. I wish there was a bit more individualism within the brand like Four Seasons where they’re usually different everywhere you go. This doesn’t stop me from staying at a StR property just something I wish they would improve.
I guess this is why it's sometimes challenging to meet the expectations of a broad spectrum of guests/customers. I can say, unequivocally, that in the things my wife and I take into consideration when deciding to stay at a property or not the brand/type of bath products wouldn't bubble up into our top 100 concerns.

Regards
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:06 am
Suspended
Original Poster
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by jonjparr
Originally Posted by scubadu
I guess this is why it's sometimes challenging to meet the expectations of a broad spectrum of guests/customers. I can say, unequivocally, that in the things my wife and I take into consideration when deciding to stay at a property or not the brand/type of bath products wouldn't bubble up into our top 100 concerns.
We have to agree with @scubadu, I'm afraid. That being said, we actually really like the Remede products--and especially enjoy their convenient but still pretty generous travel sizes that happen to pass TSA muster.

We've never been particularly impressed by the various fancy brands of shampoo and conditioner. We feel the same way about airline amenity kits. They're all more or less the same to me for the most part. Bulgari, Aesop, Remede, Hermes, Asprey, Diptyque, Ferragamo, Molton Brown, Acqua di Parma, Bliss, L'Occitane, etc. They're all fine.

My gay card likely now will be revoked. Oops.
MikeFromTokyo and Baghoarder like this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:23 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by zip10001
Great review, @bhrubin
Though I live in NYC, I have only been once to the King Cole Bar.
I remember seeing an older gentleman with 2 much younger and very attractive women.
That sight still has me *giggling*.
Remind me to give the King Cole Bar another try when I'm older.

On another topic, I also really dislike the Remede toiletries (the annoying micro-beads and the general uselessness of the shampoo), but it just means that in St Regis hotels (as in most mid-priced but not most luxury hotels) I use my own Aesop toiletries.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:24 am
Suspended
Original Poster
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Aventine
Did they enforce any kind of daily spending limit on breakfast or was it to your belly's contentment?
The SPG Platinum breakfast benefit here is a $107 credit per day--that was automatically credited to my account for each breakfast. Of course, we just ordered what we wanted and didn't worry about that. That's in addition to the $50 food/beverage credit per day as part of the $50 destination fee/day that the St Regis now charges. (Fortunately, that's a wash for us.)
Aventine likes this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Mar 18, 2018 at 10:23 am
Old Mar 16, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Wow, what an amazing review! It looks like a phenomenal trip you had! I had no idea about Table 55 or the minimum spend. I see what you mean about that freeing you to order nicer bottles!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu

Regards
Each to their own I suppose. I’m not so bothered about room temperature but I do appreciate that for others it’s a legitimate concern. If I go to a hotel without decent toiletries it’s a bit like staying somewhere worse than my own home which doesn’t seem to be the point of luxury hotels.
BLV likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Great review and photos. Thanks for posting! Glad you had such a nice experience. Definitely a hotel not to be missed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.