Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:13 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Si, Si Auberge's Chileno Bay in Cabo

Chileno Bay Resort & Residences

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

Carretera Transpeninsular San Jose-San Lucas Km. 15 Playa Chileno Bay Cabos San Lucas, Mexico MX BCS 23410

Si, Si Auberge's Chileno Bay in Cabo (30 Photos)

IMG_2647.JPG

Cabo is chock-a-block with resorts -- great, small, budget, boutique, the usual brands and, happily, not a few terrific luxury venues.  We spent last week at the new Auberge offering, Chileno Bay Resort, and were captivated entirely by its sterling service and perfect setting atop a small bluff overlooking one of the few swimmable beaches in Cabo. Most beaches, even at the luxe end of the spectrum, e.g., Las Ventanas al Paraiso, are red flagged.

Chileno opened in February 2017.

Check In

Check-in accomplished quickly at reception which included a chilled facecloth and a choice of water, coke, Corona beer. Followed by a quick golfcart tour of the property including two restaurants, enormous gym with trainer and attendant, large spa with nifty amenities, children's activity center, beach gear/activities hub, theater, three-tiered swimming pool, floriferous gardens, hiking trails. 

Then off to our ground-floor villa where the butler prepared mezcal cocktails and the bell guy delivered luggage to our three bedrooms. Brief introduction to thermostat (easy and, yes, goes down to 66 Farenheit) and light switches (also easy which isn't always the case).

Room

IMG_2606.JPG

IMG_2587.JPG

IMG_2585.JPG

Open Plan Living Room / Kitchen

Terrace

IMG_2590.JPG

IMG_2592.JPG

1_IMG_2588.JPG

IMG_2589.JPG

IMG_2616.JPG

IMG_2618.JPG

IMG_2619.JPG

Master Bath

IMG_2594.JPG

IMG_2595.JPG

IMG_2596.JPG

IMG_2597.JPG

IMG_2598.JPG

IMG_2630.JPG

Bedrooms 2 and 3 and ensuite baths

IMG_2600.JPG

1_IMG_2601.JPG

IMG_2602.JPG

IMG_2603.JPG

Expansive ground-floor, three-bedroom four-bath villa with open plan living room, kitchen, entry foyer. Enormous covered terrace with outdoor kitchen, gas grill, dining table for eight, capacious L-shaped sofa, two easy chairs, beaucoup pillows, coffee table, ceiling fan, candles, lanterns, ceiling light fixtures, private step-in pool, jacuzzi and fire pit.

Decor (millennial-ish) not to my taste but accessible and comfortable and, as the days passed too quickly, I become fonder of it. Gargantuan flat-panel TV in LR, largest I've seen. Marble floor with some carpet. Kitchen furnished with all appliances, dish- and cook-ware. Fridge loaded with coconut water (but of course), diet coke, coke, mineral water, plain water, sprite. No munchies. Ground coffee provided for cuisineart coffee maker. We asked for 1/2 'n 1/2 disdaining the coffeemate on hand.

Master bath just lovely with free-standing deep tub, wonderful huge shower with one head on each end (rainfall and the modern sort) with EASY-TO-USE controls . One side of the shower opens out into a private patio planted with colorful tropical foliage. I love showers. Toilet in cabinet-room yet not claustrophobic although no ledge or shelf which is a pet peeve. Bathsalts and the usual amenities, quite nice. Fluffy, thick, soft bath towels.

Other bathrooms large, dual sinks, large showers, no tub.

Master bedroom delightful, large, king bed with crisp linens, two easy chairs, flat-panel TV, marble floors, ocean-side all-glass wall with sliding glass doors to private terrace with circular day bed, two sun loungers, shade umbrella, step-in pool access. Walk-in closet. Two double queen-bedded guest rooms, ensuite baths (see above), closet, large enough,

No hammock, wish there had been.

Service

Villas do not come with dedicated butler service but this can be added for $100/day which we thought quite reasonable given the caring, expert, inspired service given us by Alex. There were four of us, two of whom were very active so Alex's help was in high demand for arranging tours, expeditions, car service and the like. 

Service throughout the resort was of high quality, competent, personal and kindly. Staff here know their stuff and love to shine in a low-key way.

Dining

Two restaurants, the upscale Comal, and the beachside taco joint, TNT. Included breakfast served at Comal was delicious, varied and abundant. Room-service breakfast was charged at cost, no discount for "included" meal if not taken at Comal. We loved the tacos -- carnitas, al pastor, grilled steak, shrimp, fish, lobster, veggie, etc. Comal dinners were great. Food was overall very good. Beverages were fab. Fabulous hot chocolate! we ate breakfast and dinner, skipped lunch, sometimes a night-time ice cream treat.

Location best of our Cabo stays (including Ventanas, Esperanza), atop a small bluff overlooking a sweet little bay with swimmable ocean, gentle waves, sandy beach, Gorgeous sunsets and sunrises (if you get up early). Great snorkeling right off the beach. We were mezmerized daily by the views, so gorgeous it was difficult to tear my eyes away in order to read.

Views, etc.

IMG_2631.JPG

IMG_2633.JPG

IMG_2636.JPG

IMG_2637.JPG

1_IMG_2572.JPG

IMG_2573.JPG

IMG_2574.JPG

IMG_2575.JPG

IMG_2576.JPG

Overall

Jim and I love Mexico beach respites for relaxation, peace, warm temps and room service. Chileno delivered big time and we will return. 

Weather in early March was perfection, light breezes, temperately warm but not hot, zip humidity. Ocean temps chilly, however. Too much so for me but, then, there was our orivate heated pool so no worries.

LVP is much more elegant, no question, but half again as expensive. And the setting of Chileno is orders of magnitude better. So, elegance isn't everything, Chileno now is at the top of my Cabo list and we'll be able to enjoy it more often.

What's Missing?

There is a curious lack of printed material in the villa. No directory of services, no TV/entertainment listings or user instructions, no telephone directory, etc. When queried, Alex the Butler explained they were a green resort and kept paper use to a minimum. Harumph. I don't buy it.

Lots of candles but no matches.

No hammock(s).

No munchies, even for a price. No wine/champagne in villa, even for a price. Can be ordered via room service, of course.

Si, Si Auberge's Chileno Bay in Cabo

Would you like to write a review on the Chileno Bay Resort & Residences?

No, thank you.
Yes
SanDiego1K, offerendum and bhrubin like this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:26 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Neglected to say:

There is very good snorkling directly off the beach. Amazing considering the facile convenience. Just walk into ocean to chest height, plant face in water and, voila, colorful sealife galore.

Boatloads (cliche alert) available at the beach activities hub named H2O: snorkle gear and lessons; scuba gear and lessons; kyaks including clear-bottom jobbies, SUP boards, jet skis; water bikes (these are weird).

And, WHALES -- viewed from our terrace, several groups of three spouting, breaching, flashing their tails. Stray singles. Glorious. Whale season is mid-November to early December for Humpbacks, and January-March for Grey whales.

SanDiego1K, Larkin and callmedtop like this.

Last edited by KatW; Mar 12, 2018 at 7:48 pm
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:04 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QR G, A3 G, EK G, IHG Amb, GHA Black, WOH LT something
nice review thank you! if you could try to fix the pictures a lot of them are upside down...
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:09 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Photos are uploaded from my iPad and appear to me to be right-side up but I know from past experience this happens. No idea how to fix it because can't see it. Do not have a laptop which likely would solve the oroblem.

Originally Posted by synd
nice review thank you! if you could try to fix the pictures a lot of them are upside down...
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Sounds and looks beautiful! For me a swimablevb ach at such a locarion is a must, so would never consider one of the other resorts.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:37 am

Any other recent reviews of this property? Curious of dining and construction noise?
Old Sep 14, 2018, 4:12 pm

off2rome-
I stayed on property in July and was very impressed. What would you like to know?
Old Sep 15, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: Four Seasons PP, RW Elite, Dorchester Diamond, Virtuoso, PenClub, Privé, Oetker Pearl, etc.
We were at Chileno in June and you could see the construction, but it wasn't loud and it didn't bother us or impact our stay at all. Comal and TnT are the two restaurants that are open at the moment, and they are both excellent. A new restaurant is being added and they are hoping to have this open by Festive.

We loved the resort with its sophisticated but casual vibe. Beautiful pools, swimmable beach, and plenty of activities for everyone. Rooms are spacious with a modern Mexican feel, outdoor showers, etc. The villas are amazing. 2-6 bedrooms with full gourmet kitchens, comfortable living rooms, large terraces with ocean views, and quite a few have their own pools. We will definitely be back!
Attached Images  
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by welch
off2rome-
I stayed on property in July and was very impressed. What would you like to know?
Thanks- a few questions for those who have been there:

1) Snorkeling- I know that bay is very popular with day tours,etc. for snorkeling. Is it very crowded with loads of people during the day. For people who love snorkeling like me - is there a side of the bay or area that is better for snorkeling? I am perfectly willing to swim out far for good snorkeling.

2) Anyone have a resort property map that shows villa locations? Any advice for best location of our 3 bdr villa?

3) Any other tips welcome

Thanks!
Old Sep 20, 2018, 4:44 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Yes, the tourist boats bring in many snorklers. But if you are staying at the resort, you can pick one of the many times there are no tourist snorklers.

We were in the ground-floor level Concha villa with three bedrooms and private pool and hot tub. We thought it the best of the lot. For $100 daily we hired a butler to care for us. A bargain!
Old Sep 20, 2018, 6:31 pm

If you snorkel at the right side of the resort (as you face the ocean) it's away from the public beach and is very quiet. I'd bring water shoes as the beach has more rocks in this location.
That could, of course, translate to better snorkeling. The ocean water was to cool for me at the beginning of July to consider much swimming; YMMV.

There's a link to a property map but it doesn't appear to be working. What does have additional villa information is this-

https://chilenobayresidences.com/los-cabos-villas
Old Sep 21, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Thanks for the the link. Does anybody have any idea which buildings would be housing the 3 bedroom Oceanview villas? I am considering Chileno bay for spring break with the kids and want to be as close to the ocean and as far away from the construction as possible.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 10:28 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Valveking
Thanks for the the link. Does anybody have any idea which buildings would be housing the 3 bedroom Oceanview villas? I am considering Chileno bay for spring break with the kids and want to be as close to the ocean and as far away from the construction as possible.
The Concha is one.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: Four Seasons PP, RW Elite, Dorchester Diamond, Virtuoso, PenClub, Privé, Oetker Pearl, etc.
I have attached a property map below.

Something that's good to know is that there's a shuttle that runs between Chileno and Esperanza (also Auberge) in the evenings. This is a nice additional option for dinner or drinks.
Attached Images  
Old Sep 21, 2018, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

are there any "ocean front villa with pool" ?

KatW, "3BR ocean view with pool" in concha ?
thanks for detailed review and starting thread !
concha seems slightly more 'private' than bahia

can see property on googlemaps satellite

Originally Posted by KatW
Concha the most private -- skinny dipping in the private pool!
overlooked by 2 residences above

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 25, 2018 at 7:41 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.