Uganda or Rwanda for Gorillas? Clouds Mountain Gorilla Lodge Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2018, 10:46 am
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
Originally Posted by Michael82
fyi:
2019 singita plans to open a lodge in rwanda for gorilla trekking.
I've been hearing that Singita's Kwitonda Lodge is behind schedule, and the August 2019 opening is in jeopardy.

One&Only last year announced a 2018 opening for Gorilla's Nest (also in Rwanda), but is still not accepting reservations.
Old May 31, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat, US Air Silver, JPM Palladium
KI-NRT - thank you for this incredibly informative trip review. I very much enjoyed reading it. I know this posting is old, but do you have an inside track to the progress of Kwitonda? My husband and I are booked for the weekend it opens in August. My travel agent tells me they are on track and will have a soft opening for industry professionals in July. Curious if you know otherwise? It was a concern when I booked it last year.

As a side note, for people who are looking for travel agents to organize an Africa trip - Ive been working with Rose Hipwood at The Luxury Safari Company based out of the UK. My experience with her has been stellar so far. I talked to Yellow Zebra Safaris, Guided Safaris, Roar Africa, Go2Africa and A&K (who Ive used twice for past Africa trips), and Rose was by far the most responsive, knowledgeable and lowest price (albeit not by much, but even more reason to go with her). Ill report back after on execution, but even after I fully paid her service level has been the same. Fingers crossed.
Old May 31, 2019, 4:58 pm
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kethee
do you have an inside track to the progress of Kwitonda? My husband and I are booked for the weekend it opens in August. My travel agent tells me they are on track and will have a soft opening for industry professionals in July. Curious if you know otherwise? It was a concern when I booked it last year.
It appears you have nothing to fear. Singita just last week informed leading tour operators that August is "definite" for both Kwitonda and Kataza House.

Also, last week they reconfirmed the August opening via a Tweet:

Have a great time, and please do report back on your experiences there! We're thinking of returning to Volcanoes National Park sooner rather than later, and Kwitonda is on our short list of future places to stay.
kethee likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by KI-NRT
It appears you have nothing to fear. Singita just last week informed leading tour operators that August is "definite" for both Kwitonda and Kataza House.

Also, last week they reconfirmed the August opening via a Tweet: Tweet.

Have a great time, and please do report back on your experiences there! We're thinking of returning to Volcanoes National Park sooner rather than later, and Kwitonda is on our short list of future places to stay.
Thanks so much for the update! That makes me feel so much better

I will report back shortly after we return!

Quick question - what zoom are you using on your photos? I was thinking about bringing a 300mm on a monopod - would that be too much of a pain in Rwanda?
Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:25 pm
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Quick question - what zoom are you using on your photos? I was thinking about bringing a 300mm on a monopod - would that be too much of a pain in Rwanda?
Unless you're hyper anal about IQ, I'd suggest you take a zoom lens, since the distance between you and the Gorillas will be variable.

There have been times when Gorillas (especially youngsters) have come right up to us, even making (harmless) physical contact. Other times they've been high up in the trees. I've also been in situations where I want to take a shot of an entire family in a clearning.

My suggestion... take a 24-70 and a 70-300 (or 70-200.) Ideally, the 24-70 would be attached to a full-frame camera and the telephoto zoom on a crop-sensor (DX) body (or a high-res full-frame camera that can shoot in crop mode like the Nikon D850.) You probably won't need a shutter speed faster than 1/500 sec., so even though it's a bit dark in the forest, an F4 (or even F5.6) lens should still be quite adequate.

You'll be able to hire a porter to carry all of your equipment, so weight shouldn't be an issue, at least for the hike itself.
kethee likes this.

Last edited by KI-NRT; Aug 13, 2019 at 1:47 am
Old Jun 8, 2019, 10:11 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
@KI-NRT you truly are a masochist! I just read your Uganda vs Rwanda report (somehow I missed it originally) and can’t believe what you endured. Wowzers. I’m thrilled you still enjoyed yourselves, of course, but I’d have slaughtered some of those people with reckless abandon had I been in your shoes!

Hope you and the Mrs. are doing well otherwise...and that our paths may yet cross again somewhere soon.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 10:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Great report. I have been researching a gorilla stop in Rwanda. I was wondering, since you've been (others feel free to chime in), 1. would you recommend Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge, or have new options taken the top slot? 2. How many days would you recommend for this portion of the trip, 3. How many days in Kigali? 4. Any other must see/do places/activities in Rwanda? 5. Is it practical or wise to cross from Rwanda into DRC near Goma for the purposes of climbing Mt. Nyiragongo?
Old Jun 8, 2019, 10:53 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Great report. I have been researching a gorilla stop in Rwanda. I was wondering, since you've been (others feel free to chime in), 1. would you recommend Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge, or have new options taken the top slot? 2. How many days would you recommend for this portion of the trip, 3. How many days in Kigali? 4. Any other must see/do places/activities in Rwanda? 5. Is it practical or wise to cross from Rwanda into DRC near Goma for the purposes of climbing Mt. Nyiragongo?
(1) I think the upcoming Singita or Bisate lodges sound like they may be to a higher hard product standard than Sabyinyo where we and @KI-NRT stayed at the same time. I’ll let others weigh in, but we loved Sabyinyo and its location, views, and authentic hard product and overall service—but were disappointed with the mediocre food. That being said, I’ve heard the food at Bisate was also mediocre, and I largely avoid any new properties that are too recentl opened like Singita would be. To each, their own, of course.

(2) We originally planned 2 days of gorilla treks and 1 day for the golden monkeys over our 4 nights...but were so exhausted after the 2 days of gorilla treks that for our 3rd day we skipped the golden monkeys and just relaxed and enjoyed the beautiful scenery and views (and my husband had a massage). Having 2 days of gorilla treks allowed us to see two different gorilla families in very different locations, but it was half the cost then ($750 per person per day) as it is now ($1500 per person per day). You could do as little as 2 nights but 3 might be wiser if you want to have 2 treks. We still treasure the memory of our day relaxing and enjoying the spectacular scenery.

(3) We found Kigali to be relatively dull and not particularly compelling in any way except for the Genocide Museum. Our friends did the Genocide Museum after arrival in Kigali before heading to Sabyinyo, while we did the Genocide Museum before departing from Kigali after our stay. We didn’t add any extra time therefore for Kigali itself.

I can’t comment on your other queries.

Gorilla trekking is tough and exhausting. But it’s also exhilarating and perhaps the most memorable thing we’ve ever done. Easily as exciting as safari, but even more so because you’re out in the open and only a few feet away (or even inches in my case) with these beautiful and amazing animals.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 11:30 am

I spent a long time researching this before we left and was advised on a 70-200mm - it was great advice. All of my photos can be seen here and you can see all the settings used on the camera to take them if you view it on a desktop:

The only exception were some of the shots with my wife in them, as it required a wider area and that was with a 24-70mm
Old Jun 8, 2019, 11:41 am
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

@bhrubin lol, yeah, it was tough and infuriating at times. We've trained ourselves to expect the worst, and put up with service mishaps when delving deep into remote locales in developing countries. We might not like it, but we brace ourselves for it. And, as they often say - the most memorable experiences are the ones that DON'T go according to plan

Hope that you and Greg are doing well, and that we can catch up at some point in the future.

Originally Posted by bhrubin
@KI-NRT you truly are a masochist! I just read your Uganda vs Rwanda report (somehow I missed it originally) and can’t believe what you endured. Wowzers. I’m thrilled you still enjoyed yourselves, of course, but I’d have slaughtered some of those people with reckless abandon had I been in your shoes!

Hope you and the Mrs. are doing well otherwise...and that our paths may yet cross again somewhere soon.
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by KI-NRT; Jun 8, 2019 at 11:47 am
Old Jun 21, 2019, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
I spent a long time researching this before we left and was advised on a 70-200mm - it was great advice. All of my photos can be seen here and you can see all the settings used on the camera to take them if you view it on a desktop:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132880...57672754278647

The only exception were some of the shots with my wife in them, as it required a wider area and that was with a 24-70mm
Wow, absolutely stunning photographs! I will go with the consensus advice of 70-200mm and 24-70mm. Thank you guys for the help!!
Old Aug 12, 2019, 8:37 pm
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Thanks so much for the update! That makes me feel so much better

I will report back shortly after we return!
FYI - Singita Kwitonda Lodge (as well as Kataza House) officially opened on August 5. Hopefully you'll share your thoughts on this property after you return (if you haven't already.) Enjoy!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Has anyone combined a gorlla trek with the O&O that opened in the southern part of the country? I feel like I have not heard anything about it on these boards, but that it could be a very nice stay if executed properly
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: CX DM
We ran into several people coming from Kwitonda at the various Singita locations in Tanzania last week and their thoughts were universally and unreservedly positive, both re the lodge itself and the gorilla experiences. Looking forward to hearing more.

Originally Posted by KI-NRT
FYI - Singita Kwitonda Lodge (as well as Kataza House) officially opened on August 5. Hopefully you'll share your thoughts on this property after you return (if you haven't already.) Enjoy!
Old Dec 16, 2019, 10:37 am

Any updates regarding experiences at Singita Rwanda? Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.