Rome Luxury w/Pool

Old Feb 25, 18, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Rome Luxury w/Pool

Really struggling to find a great hotel pool in the city. We've been to Rome several times before, so for this 3-day visit we're looking for an excellent hotel that has a nice outdoor pool to enjoy for a day. The Boscolo Exedra has a pool, but I don't see where they have lounges in the sun. The Rome Cavalieri has a nice pool, but I find the service and rooms lacking. What about Aldrovandi Villa Borghese and is the Classic Suite the best room there?
Old Feb 25, 18, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

curious re >
Originally Posted by tmr10001 View Post
Rome-Palazzo Dama
only 30 rooms with (not large) pool
curious re club & restaurant noise
by piazza del popolo / villa borghese

new aldrovandi owner dogus keeps buying lux hotels
most more recent, though capri palace back in 2012

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 25, 18 at 6:02 pm
Old Feb 26, 18, 12:47 am

Most people here would say it's the long-established Cavalieri Hilton (now the Waldorf Astoria). It's remote and lofty, with a grand view of the city and you need to take the shuttle into town.

However, there is another option, the Grand Hotel Parco dei Principi and when you see their website I think you might be impressed -

Hotel Spa e Piscina a Parco dei Principi via dalle Tensioni Quotidiane
QF Lad likes this.
Old Feb 26, 18, 1:03 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Some
Didnß´t know the Principe so far. Not sure if it´s my style but it looks nice. Rome is not the greatest hotel-market.....
Old Feb 26, 18, 6:48 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Four Seasons PP, RC STARS, MO FanClub, Dorchester Diamond, Luxury Priv, Peninsula PenClub
Take a look at the Red Level suites at the Gran Melia, about 5 minutes from the Vatican. More 4.5 star, but some good suite options at Red Level.
Old Feb 26, 18, 10:12 am

We rather enjoyed our stay at the Gran Melia, though it was in Feb, so we did not get to use the pool. Felt like a tranquil oasis in the midst of Rome, and I'm sure in warmer weather that pool is lovely.
Old Feb 27, 18, 1:21 pm

We loved the Palazzo Dama! On this trip we also stayed at the Four Seasons Florence and Gritti Palace. We received excellent service at the hotel. In fact the service was leaps and bounds better than what we received at the Four Seasons... where we got lost in the shuffle. At Palazzo Dama the service was very personal since they only have 30 rooms and we were greeted by name and given lots of amenities. If you are booking this property you must book the junior suite (still tiny and not a suite by US standards) and above. There are lots of luxury touches, from Acqua di Parma toiletries, turndown, slippers and robes, etc... but I would say the hotel is more boutique than luxury. The pool was a lovely place to relax after a day of sightseeing and is actually a decent size considering you are in the center of Rome. We loved the food at Pacifico which was Peruvian but also had lots of international dishes. The dining room was beautiful and the outdoor garden by the pool is lovely. Be warned that it is a bit loud when you are outside as you are at a very busy intersection. The location of the property is perfect.. about a 5 minute walk from the Hotel De Russie, however removed enough to be away from the hordes of tourists. We found the clientele of the hotel to be young and very fashionable and it seemed like the "in" place for locals.
Old Mar 4, 18, 8:28 pm

Programs: DL, Hilton, SPG, National
I would say for sure the Cavalieri. The pool is beautiful and you feel like you're at a retreat overlooking Rome.
There is the shuttle, but honestly, just mentally add $30 daily to the rate for a cab in and out of Rome each day and you are delivered exactly where you want to be besides.
mumum17 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 18, 6:48 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Exec, CITI Prestige, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold and all ever changing
Originally Posted by paterwdb View Post
I would say for sure the Cavalieri. The pool is beautiful and you feel like you're at a retreat overlooking Rome.
There is the shuttle, but honestly, just mentally add $30 daily to the rate for a cab in and out of Rome each day and you are delivered exactly where you want to be besides.
I have to second this suggestion.

Our stay at Cavalieri was great for us. We still have very fond memories of the, wait for this, the STAFF...they were very accommodating,very personable, especially if you were willing to converse with them like human beings, and not just part of the decor. We were given an upgrade to a beautiful suite smack dab in the middle with fantastic views overlooking the city, only by being nice to the reservation staff. The service was efficient and really went up a level when we took the effort to converse with the staff...the head waiter would always have our favorite, and our daughter's favorite, drink and snack ready in the late afternoons back from the city. He never charged us for our daughter (I obviously took care of him on our departure). The pool area was not only good for swimming (two outdoor pools and a lovely indoor one), but, the evening music/entertainment was very welcome after a long day in the city...made it feel like we were at a seaside resort. Personally, we only used a cab twice/thrice there as most times the a/c MB buses were more than adequate for our wanderings. This was during the June/July months.
Old Mar 5, 18, 8:23 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum Thnks to FT
If you want to be closer to the center of things than the WA I did very much enjoy the Exedra. It’s dead quiet in the rooms even though you are at a busy traffic circle.

If your objective is to lounge by the pool, and just not cool off and hang out in the pool then you are better off at the WA.
Old Mar 6, 18, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Just wanted to return here and thank everyone who provided their perspective. We've chosen the Gran Meliá Roma and their Red Level Supreme Room with a private whirlpool terrace. It'll offer the perfect day of relaxation and we can easily walk to the Vatican and our favorite neighborhood restaurant L'Isola della Pizza.
Originally Posted by LindaTerrill View Post
Take a look at the Red Level suites at the Gran Melia, about 5 minutes from the Vatican. More 4.5 star, but some good suite options at Red Level.
Originally Posted by aa213bb View Post
We rather enjoyed our stay at the Gran Melia, though it was in Feb, so we did not get to use the pool. Felt like a tranquil oasis in the midst of Rome, and I'm sure in warmer weather that pool is lovely.
obscure2k and LindaTerrill like this.
Old Mar 7, 18, 4:18 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Stumblefoot View Post
Just wanted to return here and thank everyone who provided their perspective. We've chosen the Gran Meliá Roma and their Red Level Supreme Room with a private whirlpool terrace. It'll offer the perfect day of relaxation and we can easily walk to the Vatican and our favorite neighborhood restaurant L'Isola della Pizza.
We stayed at the Gran Melia in Seville on the Red Level and confirm that the chain at least on the Red Level offer a near luxury experience.. Plus their hotels seem to have offer suites with whirlpool terraces which in my mind is unbeatable!

FDW
Old Mar 8, 18, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu View Post
We stayed at the Gran Melia in Seville on the Red Level and confirm that the chain at least on the Red Level offer a near luxury experience.. Plus their hotels seem to have offer suites with whirlpool terraces which in my mind is unbeatable
Totally agree good doctor. My only experience with the brand was the Seville, Spain property as well where we enjoyed a Red Level whirlpool suite.