Wiki Posts
Search

Ventanas Big Sur, an Alila resort, California

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2018, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX Cent., Relais & Chateaux, LHW, SLH
Ventanas Big Sur, an Alila resort, California

Any recent stays at Ventana after Alila start managing?
Looks like there are a lot of mixed reviews on Tripadvisor and would love to hear experiences here. Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 28, 2018, 4:28 pm
Original Member

We have been repairing to Ventana for 30 years but finally gave up a couple of years ago. And, like you, I've seen the more-than mixed reviews since the Alia acquisition. It's not only the proliferation of negative reviews, but the fact that the prices, always high, have skyrocketed to the point of outrageous. And no more superfabulous breakfast included. So, no more us, either.

We might have to consider Post Ranch which I have poo-pooed in the past as our stay there in 2014 was less than satisfying. Another option is Bernardus although it is 30 miles north of Big Sur in Carmel Valley.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 5:44 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Totally agree, @KatW. But at least Bernardus Lodge is quite reasonably priced for what you get, in stark comparison to both Ventana Inn and Post Ranch Inn.

We considered VI and PRI for many years but never pulled the trigger due to the uneven to downright worrying reviews for the excessive prices—not to mention that neither allows dogs.

Our stay at Bernardus in Sept 2015 (for a nearby wedding) allowed us to bring our dog with us and was a very nice stay. And at $621, it was a fraction of the price of anything at VI or PRI.

My review of Bernardus:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...rdus-lodge-921
Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Thank you both for your reply.

Funny that you mentioned your dog, bhrubin! The only reason that I'm looking at Ventana Inn now is because it is now a pet-friendly hotel under new management, so I think I can finally stay in Big Sur...!!
On its website and instagram page, VI said it now has a dog program and even allow dogs to be in the restaurant for breakfast & lunch.

My mom is visiting me in May, neither of us has been to Big Sur. I personally would really love to stay at either VI or PRI with ocean view, price-wise, I think a lot of other hotels in the US now charge ridiculous prices so I'm not surprise to see that but with that price I'd expect to get equal from service/facilities etc and not just the location/view.

Would you say staying at Bernadus is still a good option for people who want to explore Big Sur/Carmel area?
Old Jan 28, 2018, 10:55 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by instyleprincess
Thank you both for your reply.

Funny that you mentioned your dog, bhrubin! The only reason that I'm looking at Ventana Inn now is because it is now a pet-friendly hotel under new management, so I think I can finally stay in Big Sur...!!
On its website and instagram page, VI said it now has a dog program and even allow dogs to be in the restaurant for breakfast & lunch.

My mom is visiting me in May, neither of us has been to Big Sur. I personally would really love to stay at either VI or PRI with ocean view, price-wise, I think a lot of other hotels in the US now charge ridiculous prices so I'm not surprise to see that but with that price I'd expect to get equal from service/facilities etc and not just the location/view.

Would you say staying at Bernadus is still a good option for people who want to explore Big Sur/Carmel area?
Bernardus would be great to explore Carmel. It’s still a good hour’s drive from Bernardus down to Big Sur, so that depends on how close you want to be.
instyleprincess likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 11:18 pm
Original Member

>>Would you say staying at Bernadus is still a good option for people who want to explore Big Sur/Carmel area?

Yes, entirely reasonable. And, not as if the drive is onerous -- beautiful with lots of turnouts for views.
instyleprincess and bhrubin like this.

Last edited by KatW; Jan 29, 2018 at 8:51 pm
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:00 am
Community Director Emerita

If you are willing to take a half step back in luxury, I suggest the Hyatt Carmel Highlands. We have stayed there several times including as recently as last month. It's a great location, at the north end of the Big Sur area. The restaurant and lounge have stunning views over the water. I recommend booking one of their suites or a townhouse. The suites have superb views over the water and are very comfortable. The townhouses also have good views and have a small kitchen. Each has a fireplace. It offers the water view I consider so important when visiting Big Sur.

View from hotel lounge

View from Townhouse 503 at dusk

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jan 29, 2018 at 9:38 am
Old Feb 1, 2018, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Thank you SanDiego1K! Unfortunately Hyatt does not allow pets and we will need to bring our dog with us.
The photos look amazing though, thanks for sharing!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 9:06 am

Ventanas Big Sur, California?

Has anyone stayed here or experienced the offer? Thinking about spending a few nights here in June.

I know there has been stuff written about Post Ranch Inn - but we were wondering if any input on this location?

thanks!
Old Feb 17, 2018, 11:19 am
Original Member

Old Feb 17, 2018, 4:36 pm

Ventana Inn has new ownership which has invested a lot of money to renovate this resort. The most talked about change is the restaurant, the Sur House, where they expanded the outside terrace to offer dinner with an ocean view and a new outside bar. It is a high end, luxury resort with (ideally) excellent customer service. When they first re-opened there were some snafu's which you can read on Trip Advisor however I believe they've ironed these out. Most employees are new to the area therefore they are missing the local knowledge however it doesn't take much to do some research on-line. Ventana is located on the East side of Highway 1 and has mountain and distant ocean views compared to Post Ranch Inn. They include a buffet breakfast, have a great swimming pool and outdoor hot tubs and sauna. I would check out their site for more information. A great resource for what there is to see/do in Big Sur including dining options is www.lymieonthego.com which is a local Big Sur guide. It also has a great calendar of events throughout the year.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 5:45 pm

Post Ranch Inn is a higher end alternative. A beautiful property especially the South Coast House. Not sure what the area is like now post landslide and fire.

suggest a meal there even if you don’t stay. The restaurant is quite good
Old Feb 17, 2018, 5:52 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jekenworthy
Ventana Inn has new ownership which has invested a lot of money to renovate this resort. The most talked about change is the restaurant, the Sur House, where they expanded the outside terrace to offer dinner with an ocean view and a new outside bar. It is a high end, luxury resort with (ideally) excellent customer service. When they first re-opened there were some snafu's which you can read on Trip Advisor however I believe they've ironed these out. Most employees are new to the area therefore they are missing the local knowledge however it doesn't take much to do some research on-line. Ventana is located on the East side of Highway 1 and has mountain and distant ocean views compared to Post Ranch Inn. They include a buffet breakfast, have a great swimming pool and outdoor hot tubs and sauna. I would check out their site for more information. A great resource for what there is to see/do in Big Sur including dining options is www.lymieonthego.com which is a local Big Sur guide. It also has a great calendar of events throughout the year.
Welcome to flyertalk, Jekenworthy!
Old Feb 17, 2018, 8:46 pm
Original Member

The stratospheric pricing of the “new” Ventana Inn is out of bounds for what is delivered. People who have been going for decades are very disappointed.
But I don’t like Post Ranch Inn either . Tacky Bohemian ethos.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Feb 17, 2018 at 10:37 pm Reason: consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 18, 2018, 8:48 am

Thanks all - we’re thinking of maybe doing a few nights at Bernardus Lodge (based on the linked post) and coupling with anothe rfew nights elsewhere. Maybe Half Moon Bay RC? Other ideas?
KatW and bhrubin like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.