Ventanas Big Sur, an Alila resort, California

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ventanas Big Sur, an Alila resort, California

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2018, 6:03 pm
Original Member

That drive to SB is a long and winding road ....

I would point you back to the Hyatt Highlands south of Carmel. Beautiful rooms and gob-smacking views. Only 140 or so rooms so it is not much of a corporate or business venue.

Last edited by KatW; Feb 19, 2018 at 6:54 pm
Old Feb 19, 2018, 7:48 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by senzer
Another (and probably insane) option is to drive down the coast from Bernadus to Santa Barbara for a stay at the 4S or RC.
Except you can't, at least right now. You can go south from Carmel along the coast for about 1 hour before you have to turn around and return. I'm not sure when the road will be reopened. Perhaps this summer?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cali...ates-only.html

Otherwise you have to drive inland and then go back to the coast. This is very doable but not very scenic.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 8:05 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KatW

My guess is the "people" causing the discomfort were well-heeled golfers. But it could have been the bagpiper in full regalia.
Isn't that at the Inn in Spanish Bay? That's where I saw him every night. I guess there could be one at Pebble Beach also, though.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX Cent., Relais & Chateaux, LHW, SLH
Funny you mentioned 4S Santa Barbara because I was looking at that too!

I actually will go to a wedding in LA end of May and plan to drive all the way up to Big Sur/Carmel. I haven’t decided if I really wanna do the 6 hour drive so I was looking at 4S Santa Barbara as an alternative but looks like they were affected by the mudslide earlier this year and won’t open till June which doesn’t really work for me
Old Feb 20, 2018, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
FSSB is generally an option and I like this Hotel, but I doubt it´s ideally located for you. I visited FSSB, Post Ranch Inn and RC HMB in 2013 and linked the reports.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

monterey plaza hotel is related to bernadus? anyone been to plaza spa recently? a long time ago, they had huge private room(s) for showers, instead of usual luxury chain hotel (FS, RC, etc) standard of small and not locking etc.

re san ysidro ranch, would be odd for website to say cleaning if major damage.

from below seems theyre assessing structural damage, but there are structures.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 20, 2018 at 3:06 pm
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:07 am
Original Member

Major damage at San Ysidro Ranch

PHOTOS: Famous San Ysidro Ranch majorly damaged in mudslide - KSBY.com | San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara Area News
Old Feb 21, 2018, 6:28 am

Thanks all - given the news about the roads in Santa Barbara - we will probably either do a few nights in SF or a few at RC HMB and a few nights at Bernardus.

It seems silly to go north of SF then to drive south, just wish there was another good option below the city!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:18 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Thanks all - given the news about the roads in Santa Barbara - we will probably either do a few nights in SF or a few at RC HMB and a few nights at Bernardus.

It seems silly to go north of SF then to drive south, just wish there was another good option below the city!
Agreed. Sometimes you just have to roll with the punches that Mother Nature hands you.

While you weren't looking for a city visit, SF is a wonderful city with amazing vistas, parks, and nearby areas of natural beauty. As everyone on the planet knows, I suspect, I highly recommend the StR San Francisco.

You also could push through SF and go up to Napa/Sonoma. It's beautiful up there, and they really could use the business post-fires.

Now that Ventana Big Sur allows dogs, we are considering a possible stay...though the rates still are so off-putting. Fortunately, we already know how wonderful (and relatively quite reasonable) the Bernardus Lodge is.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX Cent., Relais & Chateaux, LHW, SLH
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Agreed. Sometimes you just have to roll with the punches that Mother Nature hands you.

While you weren't looking for a city visit, SF is a wonderful city with amazing vistas, parks, and nearby areas of natural beauty. As everyone on the planet knows, I suspect, I highly recommend the StR San Francisco.

You also could push through SF and go up to Napa/Sonoma. It's beautiful up there, and they really could use the business post-fires.

Now that Ventana Big Sur allows dogs, we are considering a possible stay...though the rates still are so off-putting. Fortunately, we already know how wonderful (and relatively quite reasonable) the Bernardus Lodge is.
Yup, looks like they roll out a full dog program now, and dogs are allowed in Sur House outdoor areas, which is a huge plus for us
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:08 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by instyleprincess
Yup, looks like they roll out a full dog program now, and dogs are allowed in Sur House outdoor areas, which is a huge plus for us
Indeed.

OTOH, the reviews for Ventana Big Sur are pretty discouraging. Especially at the price point they are charging. We won't pay $1500 for poor service and poor food, no matter how nice the view and accommodations might be. Until they get their ship in order and I see more consistently positive reviews, it's going to be a return to Bernardus Lodge for us and our Ridgeback--with a nice drive down the coast to Big Sur. It's only an hour, after all.
KatW, FlyerEC and instyleprincess like this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:51 pm
Original Member

FYI, the Half Moon Bay Ritz is very large, and the ethos is corporate, curiously devoid of any sense of place. Also, very golfy. We have not overnighted but, as semi-locals, have stopped in for meals and drinks and to gawp.
SanDiego1K, offerendum and bhrubin like this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 9:01 pm
Original Member

If you do stay in HMB, here are best treats in the area:

HIKE: Purisima Creek Redwoods https://www.openspace.org/preserves/...creek-redwoods
EAT: http://www.duartestavern.com/
HIKE/KAYAK/BIRD: Pescadero Marsh Natural Preserve | Coastside State Parks Association
ALSO: San Gregorio State Beach https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=529

bhrubin likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 12:42 pm

I know HMB is likely corporate, but struggling to find another place to pair with Bernardus. We've both been to SF a number of times and my wife won't be drinking, so she's not interesting in heading north to Napa (plus - this makes for a lot of driving).

Open to other suggestions though
Old Feb 22, 2018, 1:01 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

I know HMB is likely corporate, but struggling to find another place to pair with Bernardus. We've both been to SF a number of times and my wife won't be drinking, so she's not interesting in heading north to Napa (plus - this makes for a lot of driving).

Open to other suggestions though
So don't stay elsewhere--or just stay elsewhere for an easy airport transfer. It sounds like you're forcing a trip duration that doesn't really need to be for you to enjoy. Don't force it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.