Search

Ventanas Big Sur, an Alila resort, California

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2018, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by senzer
Thanks all - we’re thinking of maybe doing a few nights at Bernardus Lodge (based on the linked post) and coupling with anothe rfew nights elsewhere. Maybe Half Moon Bay RC? Other ideas?
RC Half Moon Bay has a stunning location and is worth a visit. But don’t expect too much hotel-wise.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 12:06 pm

Anywhere else you’d suggest to pair? Don’t want to be North or in SF proper. Looking for r and r and good food.

thanks
Old Feb 18, 2018, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by senzer
Anywhere else you’d suggest to pair? Don’t want to be North or in SF proper. Looking for r and r and good food.

thanks
Between SF and Big Sur RC is one of the best options beside Carmel Valley which is nearby.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 12:35 pm
Original Member

Monterey! Spindrift Inn -- approaches luxury and is wonderful. Many excellent dining choices. Beautiful setting.

Last edited by KatW; Feb 18, 2018 at 9:44 pm
Old Feb 19, 2018, 7:54 am

Thanks all - the Spindrift Inn doesn't really fit with our preferred style. Anything that's less classic pastels and more modern and or upscale rustic?

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In Monterey itself the Intercontinental is well located and modern. But wouldn´t call it luxury. Oterwise Monterey is reachable from Ventana without problems or could be done on the way. Double the recommondation for the Aquarium.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:56 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by offerendum
In Monterey itself the Intercontinental is well located and modern. But wouldn´t call it luxury. .
I agree with all points. We have stayed there twice. I recommend a suite at the end of the building facing the water. I can sit for extended periods watching the otters at play. It is immediately adjacent to the marvelous Monterey aquarium.

I've also recommended the Carmel Highlands Hyatt elsewhere in this forum. Again, it's not luxury but it approaches it. It is at the north end of Big Sur and has some rooms overlooking the crashing waves. I would only want a townhouse or one of their named suites if staying here.

Here is a thread with some area restaurant recommendations:

Great dining in Monterey/Carmel
Old Feb 19, 2018, 11:00 am
Original Member

Endorse the Intercontinental for super-rewarding otter watching. Make certain you are in one of the directly water-side rooms. Ocean facing corners best.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Otter watching is one of my favourites....
Old Feb 19, 2018, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX Cent., Relais & Chateaux, LHW, SLH
I asked the same question on Ventana on the other post, now I'm looking at the combination of Bernadus + Lodge at Pebble Beach.

Looks like Lodge at Pebble Beach has nice ocean view from their rooms as well, but not sure how the experience would be for non-golfers
Old Feb 19, 2018, 1:09 pm

Yea - for us Pebble Beach just doesn't do it. We're not golfers and sea views are OK, but nothing mind blowing.

Let me know what you decide!

Thanks!
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by instyleprincess
I asked the same question on Ventana on the other post, now I'm looking at the combination of Bernadus + Lodge at Pebble Beach.

Looks like Lodge at Pebble Beach has nice ocean view from their rooms as well, but not sure how the experience would be for non-golfers
Didn’t stay, only drove 17 miles drive. For me the people around the hotel alone were enough. We both said only from seeing it from outside: Good that we didn’t stay.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX Cent., Relais & Chateaux, LHW, SLH
Originally Posted by offerendum

Didn’t stay, only drove 17 miles drive. For me the people around the hotel alone were enough. We both said only from seeing it from outside: Good that we didn’t stay.
Care to explain why? I saw a couple of photos from Tripadvisor, it just looks really resort-y, not sure if that's my thing
Old Feb 19, 2018, 4:17 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by instyleprincess
Care to explain why? I saw a couple of photos from Tripadvisor, it just looks really resort-y, not sure if that's my thing
My guess is the "people" causing the discomfort were well-heeled golfers. But it could have been the bagpiper in full regalia.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 5:56 pm

For us, the IC is too basic - we're going to be celebrating a special occasion and don't want to stay at a "standard" hotel.

If we were to split time between Bernardus and RC Half Moon Bay - how should we split the time? Another (and probably insane) option is to drive down the coast from Bernadus to Santa Barbara for a stay at the 4S or RC...what do others think?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.