SIN Marina Bay Sands?

Old Feb 12, 18, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
SIN Marina Bay Sands?

Hi

MY wife and I are doing a wedding anniversary trip this year to Maldives via SIN. Airfares booked on SQ J, Maldives resort booked. We have a 3 night stopover in SIN and as it's kind of a bucket trip and she's always wanted to see and stay at Marina Bay Sands I've got a couple of bookings on hold for Grand Club rooms - that way we get cocktails, breakfast in the lounge, access to the rooftop pool etc.... It's approx S$638 per night (either directly on hotel site or via Agoda)

1. Any better pricing channels I can take advantage of for the same rooms?
2. Any comments as to whether the Club rooms are worth the premium at this hotel?
3. Is this hotel worth it - or do we just stay at another 5 star hotel and just visit and pay for the pool etc?

Any input welcome.
Old Feb 12, 18, 6:34 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | SPG
Stay somewhere else - Fullerton Bay is a good one.
Old Feb 12, 18, 6:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
MBS is NOT luxury. It's a big hotel (expect long lines to check in) and IMO overpriced for what it is. For that rate, you should be able to find something better in Singapore, although the perks sound good. (However, are hotel guests normally charged to use the pool?) The best thing about the place seems to be its rooftop pool.
Old Feb 13, 18, 4:56 am
Aman Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Avios
Probably one of my least favourite hotels of all time. It's quite like staying at an airport to be honest with you. As the above person says there are long lines that feel like airport check ins, even for club room vip check in.

You can't pay just to use the pool, it's for guests only. My advice would be stay one night if you want to use the pool. The pool is not luxurious though, it's very crowded with people.
Stay your other two nights at the Fullerton Bay.

I have written review of both:

The Marina Bay Sands, Singapore: A hotel on Top of the World - SilverSpoon London
The Fullerton Bay Hotel, Singapore: A Room With a View - SilverSpoon London
Old Feb 13, 18, 6:03 am

Programs: WY Gold,A3 Gold,Marriott PLT,HH Dia,GHA Black
If staying in a bus station filled with Chinese tourist groups and swimming (well, rather standing) shoulder-to-shoulder with various weirdos with they month wide open for the view from the pool is your idea of luxury - then go for it.
Seriously, this place is very far from being a luxury hotel and is the most overpriced place in Singapore.
I personally like St.Regis and MO, the latter starting from the Club Suites up. Fullerton Bay also gets good vibes, although I never personally stayed

Regards,

El Puerco Volante
Old Feb 13, 18, 12:31 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Only have a look at Tripadvisor and see the pictures of the pool. The swimmers getva live experience „feeling like a zoo-inhabitant“. I would not swim there. To be fair a colleague booked a club room and was upgraded to one of the „price on request“ suites. He said he had a good stay....

P.S. We have a dedicated SIN thread at this forom with many discussions about MBS and the luxury hotels.
it‘s a big thread so you have to filter: Best Luxury Hotel in Singapore? (consolidated thread)
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Feb 13, 18, 3:35 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Agree with the consensus here, MBS is not luxury. It's a huge zoo-like hotel and excessively overcrowded and unpleasant. And don't expect service. Most of the guests are as you expected, gamblers with family in tout. I have not stayed there before to be honest but I have visited friends staying there. Most don't return.
FlyerEC and offerendum like this.
Old Feb 16, 18, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
thanks all - glad i asked.
Old Feb 16, 18, 5:36 am

Programs: BA
The Fullerton Bay Hotel has a pleasant roof top pool area with a view.
Old Feb 16, 18, 9:32 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
When does the new Raffles open? I feel like Singapore, more than any other city we discuss on here, has a real lack of a few clear front runners for the best luxury. I imagine the new Raffles should change that. I stayed at the Fairmont, which we really enjoyed. The one bedroom suite was huge, and we absolutely loved the club lounge/service.
Old Feb 16, 18, 9:49 am

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
We stayed at the SIN Westin and we were very well taken care of there. We were just there 2 days ago (I am in BKK now). One night we went over to the MBS for dinner at Cut one night. Dinner was fine, but the hotel is a complete zoo and tourist trap. Stay away unless you want hoards of loud crazy people in your life and personal space.
Old Feb 16, 18, 10:48 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
MBS is Disneyland in Singapore. Avoid at all costs.
Old Feb 16, 18, 2:41 pm

Programs: Many
Avoid. I like the Ritz in SIN.
Old Feb 16, 18, 3:00 pm

Programs: aeroplan
If the idea is mostly to see the pool and you are not bothered with swimming, you can go up to the Chocolate and Cheese Bar, have a looksee and some desert at the same time. This is what I did - honestly, aside from the pool, MBS reminds me of a giant Las Vegas hotel....without the glitz.
Old Feb 16, 18, 5:08 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by NoTravelIsFree View Post
If the idea is mostly to see the pool and you are not bothered with swimming, you can go up to the Chocolate and Cheese Bar, have a looksee and some desert at the same time. This is what I did - honestly, aside from the pool, MBS reminds me of a giant Las Vegas hotel....without the glitz.
, we have done the same and have suggested this to others including FTers who have sent PMs or met up with us

Best viewed from afar otherwise , like Gardens by the Bay or even the Singapore Flyer , if seeing the pool isn’t everything or saying you have been to MBS ..
NoTravelIsFree likes this.

Search this Thread