SIN Marina Bay Sands?

Old Feb 24, 18, 8:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Travel Agent (member of all consortia programs - Ritz, Mandarin, Hyatt Prive, Four Seasons, etc.)
Originally Posted by scented View Post
Wonder what lead Gathy to accept this project... not really seeing a reason besides $.
Don´t remember exactly when - maybe a year ago - but I actually saw him being interviewed about this very topic.

His answer was a mixture of: because why not + the challenge + the fun.

He has a lot of engineer in him, so I´m sure it was somewhat of a passion project, given how difficult the whole thing was. After all, ´beauty´ is in the eye of the beholder, and for someone of Gathy´s stature (and at that point in his career), he probably had a hell of a lot of fun doing it.

A quote I read of his that explains exactly why he took this project on: The pools are everything in my properties. I am a man who loves charisma, emotion and drama, and water embodies all of those things.

http://www.bllnr.sg/art-design/the-m...rina-bay-sands

@flyit7 - nice to see a positive review of this place for a change. While it´s not my style, I also can´t see it being as bad as...say...the Bellagio in Vegas

Last edited by MichelinMan; Feb 24, 18 at 8:49 am
Old Mar 14, 18, 6:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Amtrak, WN
I get the gist that most people think this hotel is a rip-off, but are there any significant reasons (i.e. lack of cleanliness) as to why I should avoid this place at all costs?

I plan on staying one night just to have the "experience," especially when it comes to the pool. It's a place I'd like to stay once, even if the result is me telling others to avoid it.
Old Mar 14, 18, 6:57 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Avios
Originally Posted by brewdog11 View Post
I get the gist that most people think this hotel is a rip-off, but are there any significant reasons (i.e. lack of cleanliness) as to why I should avoid this place at all costs?

I plan on staying one night just to have the "experience," especially when it comes to the pool. It's a place I'd like to stay once, even if the result is me telling others to avoid it.
I found the hotel huge and totally impersonal. It was like staying at the airport - even the VIP check in was like check in at the airport.

I, like you, wanted to stay for the experience but do be aware that the pool is very crowded and not luxurious.
Old Mar 17, 18, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by SilverSpoon View Post
I found the hotel huge and totally impersonal. It was like staying at the airport - even the VIP check in was like check in at the airport.

I, like you, wanted to stay for the experience but do be aware that the pool is very crowded and not luxurious.
Good to know. It's amazing how different the pics on tripadvisor (showing an insanely-crowded swimming pool are) are versus the pics on the hotel website (showing a wide-open, almost-empty pool area).

As of now, it looks like I'm going to be priced out for my dates (rooms are now running USD $600). Not worth it based on the iffy reviews, especially since I can stay somewhere nicer for a better price.
Old Jan 17, 19, 12:49 pm

Programs: US CP; AA LTG; HH Dia; SPG Plat; Marriott Gold
We just had a one night stay here, plus we paid 1/2 the room charge for a late check out because we had a late flight out of Changi.

I went in with low expectations. They were exceeded. It is big and impersonal, sure. If you're looking for fawning service, it's just too big to provide that except for the highest of high rollers I imagine. But, everyone we interacted with was lovely, the room was really nice and big, and the pool was as cool as advertised. Yes, the pool was crowded. Yes, the saving of pool chairs was a thing. Yes, the poolside food service was pretty expensive and not particularly quick. But I'll never forget my $10 french fries and $12 tiger beer looking out over the lip of the infinity pool at downtown Singapore.

In a word, this place was really cool to try once.

Also, the management was really nice and did a thing they didn't have to do for us. We had two rooms booked but two of us got sick and had to stay behind at the airport hotel. MBS let us cancel the second room without penalty. Not many hotels would do that.

For what it is, I loved it.
Pufnstuf, Ex-SIN and FlyerEC like this.
Old Jan 18, 19, 12:32 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | SPG | Hyatt Prive
Originally Posted by lkar View Post
MBS let us cancel the second room without penalty. Not many hotels would do that.
Sounds like a good stay, but while they can penalise based on cancellation rates, it's also not THAT uncommon, especially for city hotels. Just had such a case in Singapore.
Old Sep 8, 19, 9:23 am

I have a conference next month at the MBS. It will be my first time in Singapore.

Is it worth staying off-site given the negative impressions here?
Old Sep 8, 19, 10:10 am

I went there last month with low expectations and actually I was pleasantly surprised. I had booked transfer from Changi through the MBS concierge and we had in-room check-in so no queue at all. The pool is not cold and it is crowded except between 11am and 3pm when all guests staying one-night only are not there. No queue at breakfast as I always wake up early. And no waiting for the lift (I was staying in tower 3, level 52). It’s not a luxury hotel but it’s still decent and the pool is a fun experience.
gregcw likes this.
Old Sep 11, 19, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by gregcw View Post
I have a conference next month at the MBS. It will be my first time in Singapore.

Is it worth staying off-site given the negative impressions here?
I was put off by all the bad reviews here too but decided to stay 1 night to check off the pool on my bucket list and to be honest I wish I stayed another night or two and went for the breakfast rate. I really enjoyed the hotel, the service was great and the rooms were nice. There are 3 places to choose breakfast at and we did it at Spago and the food was great and the servers were amazing. There was a crazy storm that hit that morning and they did everything to accommodate us. I'd definitely stay there again.
0nFire likes this.

Search this Thread