North American Countryside/Wilderness Luxury Venues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

North American Countryside/Wilderness Luxury Venues

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

atacama (and patagonia) - awasi includes private jeep for each room , many excursions and not all higher elevation , could ask for their (long) excursion PDF as it lists elevation for each one

cape air - i really liked them overall , some may not like un pressurized cabin

via montreal can combine with manoir hovey (KatW report)
RC montreal (independently managed) also good reports lately
re combining also not far from twin farms and lake placid lodge

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 22, 2018 at 8:48 am
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:25 am

Looking at Magee Homestead, do they offer skeet/target shooting as an activity? It's not listed on their site, but it is listed at the Lodge and Spa site as an activity. Magee interests me a bit more for the adult-only aspect and pool. After target shooting at Gateway Canyons last year, my wife is hooked and that's all she asked about lol. Thanks.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
atacama (and patagonia) - awasi includes private jeep for each room , many excursions and not all higher elevation , could ask for their (long) excursion PDF as it lists elevation for each one

cape air - i really liked them overall , some may not like un pressurized cabin

via montreal can combine with manoir hovey (KatW report)
RC montreal (independently managed) also good reports lately
re combining also not far from twin farms , lake placid lodge , etc
RC Montréal is fantastic.

Lake Placid Lodge will likely feel like a big step down after The Point, but we do like their cabins (but long overdue for a renovation) and the top floor rooms in the main lodge are nice. It is better located if you’re visiting the town of Lake Placid but they have consistently increased their price over the past year or two so it rarely makes sense to book there vs The Point when you consider all the inclusions at The Point ($1k+ for a cabin at LPL...!?).
Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:00 pm

I would do The Point over Lake Placid Lodge. We stayed at Mirror Lake Inn years ago. Nice, but no where near the beauty of The Point. Hubby is big on trees and has been going to the Adrirondacks since he was a little kid. He was really upset when he saw the damage from a hurricane that knocked down lots of old trees at The Point. The hurricane e was probably ten years ago, we were at The Point probably seven years ago. I saw new plantings of trees, not a destructed forest.
We had never been to a place that unpacked your clothes. While we were on our tour of the premises little elves emptied our car, and unpacked all our clothes. I thought I was in heaven!
We were there Friday to Sunday, so it was prime time for the investment bankers to take a quick weekend trip.
We met an elderly couple who flew in on a private plane form Ohio. It was such an easy trip to make for them. Otherwise it would have been quite a long trip. She did say that even though The Point was expensive, they spent more on the private plane. Back then I knew nothing about Net Jets and Private Planes. I still don’t!
There was a lean to that you could sleep in over night. Tons of fur lined throws. It looked so cozy, but when you are spending that much money, who wants to sleep in a lean to?
They told us a very amusing story about a guest who was a male hand model (this sounded just like a Seinfeld story). He got a little tipsy at the bonfire, tripped and fell towards the fire pit. Luckily he landed on his North Face Jacket, and not his hands. The next day there was a brand new North Face jacket outside his door.
We met another guest who came from Japan about seven times a year, it was his favorite place. I asked impolitely how he could afford this travel. He told me he was adopted by an elderly lady.
I had wanted to go to The Point for five years, finally we were in a financial postition to do so. That was our first trip to a really high end place. I’d go again, if only hubby said yes. I think it would be better with friends also.
Ah, such wonderful memories!
Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:07 pm

Hubby and I went to Thy Broadmoor several times when he had conferencesthere. I loved the spa, they had a great room where you could sit before and after your treatments and look at the mountains. They had a Toto toilet in the changing area, I had never seen nor tried one before. I made sure all the other spouses in the conference tried it out, they must have thought i was nuts!
There are a number of restaurants to try. They did have a very fancy restaurant that was really old style, with a combo to play dance music. Hardly anyone was there mid week. Not sure how busy it was on a Saturday night.
There is a wall of photographs of celebrities that have stayed there. I always had fun, looking to see the new pictures of guests.
They did have a fishing retreat, up in the hills, but not the quality water that husband requires.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:20 pm

When we were there Magee had it’s own gun range with target shooting and sporting clays. They had a world class instructor who had blown up his hand as a young kid fooling around but ended up be a medalist when he got older.
He wore a special glove that caused the trigger to go as he released part of his hand, instead of squeezing the trigger. I don’t see shooing in the list of activities any more, but I am sure that it could be arranged.
It’s a much more intimate setting than the Main Ranch. No children running around to trip you.
Originally Magee Homestead was only offered as a by out at $15,000 per day (you bought out the property). They only had a 30% occupancy, so they needed to do something about that. They added a pool and spa, and made Magee adults only. We jumped at the opportunity to go as soon as it was open.
We stopped going as I didn’t feel as appreciated as I should be as a return guest of six times. We did get a return guest discount, but I still don’t know if the new guests were getting a better deal as there was really low occupancy. They might have gotten a fill up the rooms special that I didn’t know about. Or they could have paid full price. I will never know.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:13 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by NotALawyer
Looking at Magee Homestead, do they offer skeet/target shooting as an activity? It's not listed on their site, but it is listed at the Lodge and Spa site as an activity. Magee interests me a bit more for the adult-only aspect and pool. After target shooting at Gateway Canyons last year, my wife is hooked and that's all she asked about lol. Thanks.
+1 Yes, they do!
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

lots of great posts!

brush creek >
includes 2 activities per day
excludes select a la carte experiences

12 bedroom magee >
jun 1 2014 to dec 9 2015 "groups of 10"

jan 12 2016 "NEW IN 2016" "adults only" "pool"
"your personal Western escape or a private group"

mar 22 2016 "maximum of 12 couples and small groups"
2016 $1750
2018 $2000

wow, magee is 3.5 miles from lodge

4 bedroom french creek sportsmens club >
feb 1 2016 to nov 4 2017
"single party will have exclusive access"
2016 $3000 minimum exclusive
2018 $1995 book a room
no amenities, vs magee

75 bedroom lodge >
2018 $1550 ?
lodge includes extremely short winter season

re fishing >
elevenexperience.com/taylor-river-lodge-colorado
frontierstravel.com/taylor-river-lodge

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 23, 2018 at 8:18 am
Old Oct 23, 2018, 8:16 am

Lodge rooms at Brush Creek are nice but ordinary. However it makes going to breakfast a lot easer, you just stumble dowstairs. The spa is located in the main building as is the gym. I rarely saw anyone working out at the gym.
There are conference facilities there, it’s a great spot for that. Meetings and team building activities, how great is that?
French Creek Sportsman Club does not have a pool or spa. Instead it is situated right near a lovely creek, a beautiful spot to sit and think or talk with your budddies about the great day you had fishing or shooting. You have your own chef to cook for your group. It’s a great spot for a bachelor weekend, or guys get together. We saw it when they did the finishing touches, I’m not sure how many queens or kings there were for couples.
Magee has a much smaller creek, some of the cabins face it with fire pits where you could sit and cuddle in the evening.
Fishing is excellent. They do have ponds and instructors on the main ranch for those who have never fly fished before. Many of the guest’s are new to the sport.
There are also yurts for glamping.
Magee is quite close to Brush Creek, staff will bring you over anytime. There was a ride I especially liked on Brush Creek and they brought me there for riding.
Brush Creek Ranch has a saloon with a pool table and they also do Karaoke. There is a lovely outdoor wedding spot and an indoor location also. For those that like to rock climb, they do have a special tower for that. Lots of stuff to do!
Old Oct 24, 2018, 6:55 am

We have been to Brush Creek twice and, while we had a wonderful time, there are no plans to return. Although we went two years in a row, the second time taking 10 people, there was never one glint of recognition that they had ever seen us before and the coldness/indifference at this price point and theoretically warm, family like environment irked more than might be warranted. The activities are extremely well done and the instructors and guides are fantastic. The hotel side of the equation is weaker. Rooms are fine, but certainly not a reason to go. I suspect at Magee they will do anything to make you comfortable and provide any options available at Brush Creek Main Lodge, but we liked
the convenience of having everything at hand.

One thing I learned about is the concept of "Angry August," when workers burn out at the end of summer and staffing is lighter due to college students leaving, resulting
in fewer and/or new staff members. It makes sense to me and I felt it. As such, I'd try to go earlier in the season given the choice. And there WILL be children, lots of them,
but we didn't find them disturbing in the least.

One other point I'll make, as it has happened a few times at high end resorts, is to find out if there are any near buy outs from weddings or incentive/conference groups. We
had that happen several times and it definitely changes the resort dynamics.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 8:02 am

Mickidon that is exactly whey we have not returned. Arrangements that husband had made to go offsite fishing were not entered in the books when we arrived. He was told he couldn’t go exactly when nor where he had arranged.

We were only upgraded on our second visit, due to it being an anniversary. There were plenty of cabins available for us to be upgraded. With having been there five times in six years, we thought we were special. Obviously we weren’t.

There were never large groups when we were there, that definitely would change the flavor. We liked going in September after school started, but then weekends got busy. Going in late June when the Green Drake hatch was on was a magical experience for Hubby.

We are thinking about going to ABarA which is near by. Has anyone been?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 8:22 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
The Ranch at Rock Creek is definitely better than Brush Creek and more polished. Worth looking into.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

that seems about half the total number of bedrooms, at about 46
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
chredo.com/clients/ (founder was EVP / GM at dunton)
Canyon Equity (owner of US amans, dunton hot springs, jean michel cousteau resort, partner with a winery)
+ Ted Turner Expeditions
+ Ranch at Rock Creek
perhaps dunton would offer optional activity-inclusive rates/packages
seems dunton total 27 bedrooms, hot springs and camp(s), 500 acres?
adventure partners at dunton, same owner as amangiri/gani, FS santa fe

Ted Turner Expeditions & Adventure Partners (Amangiri & FS Santa Fe)
unfortunately gallaghers / adventure partners only hired briefly
and apparently turner's island was bought by state government

wonder re activities self-contained/private to magee and french creek

funny to see people mention shooting. too late for Elk Mountain Resort, CO
also seems nekupe stopped hotel bookings, like mukul (private rentals?)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 26, 2018 at 1:20 pm
Old Oct 25, 2018, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

just noticed >
duntonhotsprings.com/dunton-tours/bahia-honda-panama/
duntonhotsprings.com/files/3914/8425/0486/bookcompressed_5_1.pdf
Everyone who visits the bay eventually asks the same questions:
I am seven hours from New York. How can there be a natural deep bay that is two by three miles wide, surrounded completely by jungle, with no roads, no lights and no port?

four bedrooms

scuba diving, walking along miles of beach
not sure but might be on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bastimentos_Island
Old Nov 10, 2018, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

lakekora.com/about/reservations
booked individually sep 1 > oct 15 2018
$1620 > $5395 incl F&B , not alcohol
i think first time, vs exclusive-use only
rate comparison >
$2261 > $4788 the point
$2034 > $4703 twin farms

luxury unclear , may open dec 30 >
castlehotsprings.com
cabins and bungalows have tubs fed by springs
slh.com/hotels/castle-hot-springs/
says 32 rooms

central america >
cayugacollection.com

central america islands >

islassecas.com
9BR - 1BR , 2BR , 2BR , 4BR
seems all booked by room
14 private islands ?

gladdenprivateisland.com/rates/
exclusive-use island

calala-island.com
4 rooms

isletaelespino.com
5 room island in lake

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 22, 2018 at 1:36 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.