FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Thailand Honeymoon Help for Nov/Dec 2018 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1891136-thailand-honeymoon-help-nov-dec-2018-a.html)

chinmoylad Oct 14, 2018 6:55 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo (Post 30312415)
Ritz-Carlton Samui apparently did not open well from what I have heard, but I have no experience.

Didn't get a chance to do it myself for my Samui trip, but did have a couple of guests here recently. Both said service was very good but rooms (villas) weren't particularly impressive - having said that, both guests' last trip was Cheval Blanc Randheli so does set a high standard!

vuittonsofstyle Oct 18, 2018 9:12 am

Originally Posted by offerendum (Post 30312244)

It looks nice! Would you consiter it an alternative to the most mentioned properties here (Trisara, Aman) or only if budget is important?

If budget is not important then I would stay at Trisara, which these days I prefer to Amanpuri. I would definitely not stay at Rosewood Phuket again, but would be happy to return to Anantara Layan, especially in the Residences, which are splendid. Great staff there, too, under Fred Varnier, who is ex-Amanpuri GM. Lots of ex-Aman staff here, too.

The location of Trisara and Anantara Layan is in a protected nature reserve, so the views are spectacular.

travelinmanS Oct 19, 2018 11:12 pm

For a honeymoon beach hotel I can think of no better place in Thailand than the Soneva Kiri on Koh Kood. You'll have a beautiful beach practically to yourself plus the great facilities and restaurants they offer there. I'm basing this suggestion on my belief you'll want lots of privacy and alone time with your spouse.

bagold Oct 20, 2018 7:43 am

Originally Posted by SantiC (Post 30256708)
What did you end up deciding for Koh Samui, Chiang Mai, and Bangkok? I am planning my honeymoon for July / August 2019.

We decided on the Conrad Koh Samui, though a bit out of the way, the reviews were great and views look stunning. For ~$600 a night versus FS at ~$1,200, it seems like a much better value. I will also note I am Hilton Diamond status so hoping to take advantage of that.
We are still trying to decide on Chiang Mai between Pillars, FS, and Dhara. I cant decide which one offers better value. From a price standpoint, they seem relatively similar and frankly, we wouldnt mind being outside of the city so the FS seems like a good option.
For Bangkok, since the merger of Marriott and SPG happened (I am Platinum Elite), we are looking at properties like the JW and the St Regis. That said, I have heard amazing things about the Shangri-La right on the water so may do that.

Would be great to hear what you did!

I'm just back from 1st stay at FS Samui. Have to say one of the best FS in terms of service I've ever had. I felt they were getting close to Aman touches. As soon as you mention something they make sure it is there every day for the rest of our stay. For example, favorite table at the restaurant, type of snacks, I love chocolate and upon check-out gave me a whole box home-made for me to take on the plane to eat. Love using the FS app to arrange everything. Never had to call.

Never stayed at Conrad Samui but other Conrads. If money isn't major concern, I would pay more just of the service and quietness at FS!

For BKK, I've done St. Regis... while nice I would say it was sterile. Shangri La on the river is much better from that point of view.

offerendum Oct 20, 2018 9:18 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS (Post 30335179)
For a honeymoon beach hotel I can think of no better place in Thailand than the Soneva Kiri on Koh Kood. You'll have a beautiful beach practically to yourself plus the great facilities and restaurants they offer there. I'm basing this suggestion on my belief you'll want lots of privacy and alone time with your spouse.

But you must like the rustic style...… I know many women who wouldn´t be too happy including my GF. I onced showed her pictures and she was not impressed, more the opposite. My ex-wife on the other hand was a huge fan.

bhrubin Oct 20, 2018 10:27 am

Originally Posted by offerendum (Post 30336272)
I know many women who wouldn´t be too happy including my GF. I onced showed her pictures and she was not impressed, more the opposite. My ex-wife on the other hand was a huge fan.

Hopefully not the reason for the divorce? :D

offerendum Oct 20, 2018 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 30336506)

Hopefully not the reason for the divorce? :D

No... But as one reason she claimed I spend too much money and only accept luxury/ the best😉

bhrubin Oct 20, 2018 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum (Post 30336888)
No... But as one reason she claimed I spend too much money and only accept luxury/ the best😉

Then divorce couldn’t come soon enough to my taste. :p

offerendum Oct 21, 2018 6:30 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 30336986)

Then divorce couldn’t come soon enough to my taste. :p

Later you always know better;)

keepitfirstclass Oct 24, 2018 8:42 pm

Just returned from FS Koh Samui. While overall it was good, and an easy hop from Hong Kong, there were a couple of disappointing elements. Firstly our room was really jungle-dark with no seaview. It was a specific room type to cater for 4 of us (2 adults 2 kids) so maybe those rooms are limited. At $1,200++ USD a night, I have had better FS rooms. The beach BBQ on Monday night was average at best, and cost us $600 with 2 cocktails and a bottle of standard wine. Buffet style can always be a bit underwhelming, but I had to complain about the cold food which was awkward, and was just underwhelmed by it. Even with 4th night free, cost compared to Amanpulo etc. I would go back (ease of travel a key factor from HK) but with those niggles rectified. Booked with Virtuoso but no upgrade offered on check in (is there ever?!) though the director or rooms did offer us a 2 bed villa for a mere $800++ a night extra :-)

Aventine Oct 24, 2018 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by keepitfirstclass (Post 30352984)
Just returned from FS Koh Samui. While overall it was good, and an easy hop from Hong Kong, there were a couple of disappointing elements. Firstly our room was really jungle-dark with no seaview. It was a specific room type to cater for 4 of us (2 adults 2 kids) so maybe those rooms are limited. At $1,200++ USD a night, I have had better FS rooms. The beach BBQ on Monday night was average at best, and cost us $600 with 2 cocktails and a bottle of standard wine. Buffet style can always be a bit underwhelming, but I had to complain about the cold food which was awkward, and was just underwhelmed by it. Even with 4th night free, cost compared to Amanpulo etc. I would go back (ease of travel a key factor from HK) but with those niggles rectified. Booked with Virtuoso but no upgrade offered on check in (is there ever?!) though the director or rooms did offer us a 2 bed villa for a mere $800++ a night extra :-)

That beach BBQ better have had lobsters and caviar for 600 bucks. Wow. That's a bit much to me. I would have definitely booked with FSPP and an agent with a good relationship with the property to get that villa...as a generous upgrade!

keepitfirstclass Oct 24, 2018 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine (Post 30353246)
That beach BBQ better have had lobsters and caviar for 600 bucks. Wow. That's a bit much to me.

Alas no caviar but yes to lobster! My biggest gripe is that I didn't get to eat a main course until 9pm (I had a work call for 30 mins) and by then the buffet was cold and pretty empty! Expensive bad luck...

SantiC Dec 21, 2018 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Beltway2A (Post 30271262)
Have you look at the Peninsula in BKK? I'm actually planning a similar honeymoon in August/September 2019 and currently have Vana Belle on Samui locked down, and deciding between a few properties in Bangkok (also Marriott Plat at the moment, but might be gold next year). The two top contenders right now are the St. Regis and Peninsula, but I've also heard some nice things about the Athenee.

Still debating on the BKK hotel. Have you made a decision yet?

SantiC Dec 21, 2018 8:42 am

Originally Posted by szacksanders (Post 29354126)
Hey everyone,

First, thanks already for all the help. This forum has been a tremendous resource for planning our honeymoon. With that said, I was hoping the FT community could weigh in on our itinerary. Should we remove certain spots? Add others? Best value accommodation wise?

We are thinking of an 18 day trip through Thailand with a budget around $10K USD for all hotel stays. We are young and fairly active so we don't mind being on the move too much.
  • Bangkok: Nov. 20th - 23rd
    • Hotels: Marriott Marquis Queens Park or Marriott Suk. (in order of preference from my research)
    • My finance is Platinum with Marriott/SPG and has a free night certificate to use, which should help with overall trip affordability
  • Chiang Mai: Nov. 23rd - 27th
    • Hotels: 137 Pillars, Four Seasons Chiang Mai, Dhara Dhevi, Anantara
    • Currently booked at Dhara Dhevi with a refundable rate through Amex FHR as it seems like the best bang for buck as of now with their 3rd night free offer
    • We had our hearts set on 137 Pillars, but rates recently skyrocketed compared to a week ago. This is probably due to Loy Krathong Festival. Not sure if this is permanent or we can expect them to come back down.
  • Golden Triangle: Nov. 27th - 29th
    • Hotels: Four Seasons Tented Camp, Anantara GT
    • Budgeted for Anantara as it appears FS is just too expensive for our budget :(
  • Phuket/Krabi: Nov. 29th - Dec. 3rd
    • Hotels: Ritz-Carlton Phulay Bay, Rayavadee, Renaissance Phuket, JW Marriott Phuket, JW Khao Lak
    • Fiance's heart is set on Phulay Bay, but we (mainly me) are intrigued by Rayavadee's Experience Package which comes to about $2200 USD for breakfast, dinners, couples massage, and cooking class/rock climbing excursion
    • We are generally leaning towards Krabi over Phuket as well based off what I have read here and other places
  • Koh Samui: Dec. 3rd - 7th
    • Hotels: Four Seasons, Ritz-Carlton, Conrad, W
    • We have budgeted for Four Seasons as our biggest splurge stay, but could be willing to switch depending on options
Thanks again in advance!

Curious how your honeymoon went and which hotels you ended up choosing? I am doing the Conrad in Koh Samui, but still trying to decide on hotels for Chiang Mai and Bangkok. Our honeymoon is July 2019. Thanks!

Beltway2A Dec 21, 2018 9:24 am

Originally Posted by SantiC (Post 30561100)
Still debating on the BKK hotel. Have you made a decision yet?

I'm still debating. I've got an FHR rate at the St. Regis booked in case the price spikes, but I'm leaving my options open. I'm not heading over until next summer, so I'm keeping my eyes open for any promotions. I'm still torn on location, the river sounds lovely but the Lumphini Park seems more accessible to transit. And I've got a Gaggan reservation.

Ultimately I think if I stick with the St. Regis I'll switch over to a Virtuoso rate (if I can find a Virtuoso TA). The amenity for FHR is a dinner, while the Virtuoso amenity is $100 on property. I almost never take meals at a hotel, especially in a city like Bangkok with such a phenomenal and affordable food scene. I think that dinner would be a waste of a meal, but the $100 property credit could be used for some snacks or drinks.