Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Thailand Honeymoon Help for Nov/Dec 2018

Thailand Honeymoon Help for Nov/Dec 2018

Old Sep 28, 2018, 10:39 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Peon
Originally Posted by SantiC
We are still trying to decide on Chiang Mai between Pillars, FS, and Dhara.
Just to throw an opinion out there, we stayed at FS Chiang Mai last month (our second stay) and had a wonderful time. We liked the relaxed pace, and loved the beautiful landscaping. The Thai food and breakfast were excellent, though we didn't like the Italian restaurant quite as much.

We did one of their cooking classes and thought it was a highlight.

We're not sure when we'll be back, but we know we want to return for a third time.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 7:30 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
For Bangkok, since the merger of Marriott and SPG happened (I am Platinum Elite), we are looking at properties like the JW and the St Regis. That said, I have heard amazing things about the Shangri-La right on the water so may do that.
We stay at the StR BKK at the end of every Asian vacation and it is a stellar property. General Platinum upgrades are to Metropolitan Suites, but the top floor suites are elegant and refined. The Butler service is outstanding and the spa gorgeous. The only downside is breakfast can be very busy as it is a corporate hotel. They also do not have a fleet of Bentleys as is brand standard.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 1:47 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
What did you end up deciding for Koh Samui, Chiang Mai, and Bangkok? I am planning my honeymoon for July / August 2019.

We decided on the Conrad Koh Samui, though a bit out of the way, the reviews were great and views look stunning. For ~$600 a night versus FS at ~$1,200, it seems like a much better value. I will also note I am Hilton Diamond status so hoping to take advantage of that.
We are still trying to decide on Chiang Mai between Pillars, FS, and Dhara. I cant decide which one offers better value. From a price standpoint, they seem relatively similar and frankly, we wouldnt mind being outside of the city so the FS seems like a good option.
For Bangkok, since the merger of Marriott and SPG happened (I am Platinum Elite), we are looking at properties like the JW and the St Regis. That said, I have heard amazing things about the Shangri-La right on the water so may do that.

Would be great to hear what you did!
Have you look at the Peninsula in BKK? I'm actually planning a similar honeymoon in August/September 2019 and currently have Vana Belle on Samui locked down, and deciding between a few properties in Bangkok (also Marriott Plat at the moment, but might be gold next year). The two top contenders right now are the St. Regis and Peninsula, but I've also heard some nice things about the Athenee.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
Have you look at the Peninsula in BKK? I'm actually planning a similar honeymoon in August/September 2019 and currently have Vana Belle on Samui locked down, and deciding between a few properties in Bangkok (also Marriott Plat at the moment, but might be gold next year). The two top contenders right now are the St. Regis and Peninsula, but I've also heard some nice things about the Athenee.
We stayed at both the Peninsula and the Siam during out Honeymoon while in Bangkok. We had an awful time at the Peninsula, to the point we vowed never to stay in one again. I know you shouldn't judge a brand by one experience, but it was just bad. Couple that with the fantastic experience at the Siam and the fact that it was our honeymoon magnified the negative. You can see my trip report about it, but I would never recommend the Peninsula. I'd recc the Siam 100% over Pen, unless location is a deal breaker.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Anlun
We stayed at both the Peninsula and the Siam during out Honeymoon while in Bangkok. We had an awful time at the Peninsula, to the point we vowed never to stay in one again. I know you shouldn't judge a brand by one experience, but it was just bad. Couple that with the fantastic experience at the Siam and the fact that it was our honeymoon magnified the negative. You can see my trip report about it, but I would never recommend the Peninsula. I'd recc the Siam 100% over Pen, unless location is a deal breaker.
Thanks for the heads up, I checked it out. I actually had a very disappointing stay at the St. Regis Osaka last year (including but not limited to being lied to about coffee service and given a smoking room despite reserving non-smoking) that really soured me on the brand, but the enthusiastic advocacy by our very own bhrubin has me considering giving them another chance, albeit one sufficiently far away from whoever does the training in Osaka.

Your experience at the Peninsula sounds pretty awful though. The reasons I was looking at it included the river location (with house boat) and great FHR 3rd night free rates, but it sounds like you were treated quite poorly. The on-property dining concerns me less than the fact that someone actually halted you with a hand on your chest.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:08 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
currently have Vana Belle on Samui locked down
Why?
Old Oct 3, 2018, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Why?
The future Mrs. is a beach nut, so that was the main thing I was looking for. I'm still considering adding/changing a few nights at the Conrad, but while everything I've read/seen shows how beautiful the property is, I've heard that the beach leaves quite a bit to be desired. We both prefer to avoid on-property dining whenever possible (though the oysters and sparkling wine that are part of VB's breakfast seem interesting) in favor of local restaurants, so I think I like the proximity to Chaweng Beach Road. It's a points reservation and still very much refundable though, so I'm happy to learn more from people who have more experience in the area.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 6:19 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
The future Mrs. is a beach nut, so that was the main thing I was looking for. I'm still considering adding/changing a few nights at the Conrad, but while everything I've read/seen shows how beautiful the property is, I've heard that the beach leaves quite a bit to be desired. We both prefer to avoid on-property dining whenever possible (though the oysters and sparkling wine that are part of VB's breakfast seem interesting) in favor of local restaurants, so I think I like the proximity to Chaweng Beach Road. It's a points reservation and still very much refundable though, so I'm happy to learn more from people who have more experience in the area.
Ah okay - if it's a points decision then perhaps it's fair. I like Luxury Collection but this isn't one of their best properties. Conrad doesn't have a beach with easy access, great views though.

I'd also look at managing your expectations - not exactly sure what they are, but Chaweng isn't a particularly nice beach. Nothing in Samui, in terms of beaches, is really that great or interesting. They're nice enough, some are quieter than others, but most are relatively crowded. In fact, I'd argue that the average beach in Samui is nicer than Phuket, but Phuket's nicest beaches are nicer than Samui's.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 9:58 am

Thanks for the heads up, I checked it out. I actually had a very disappointing stay at the St. Regis Osaka last year (including but not limited to being lied to about coffee service and given a smoking room despite reserving non-smoking) that really soured me on the brand, but the enthusiastic advocacy by our very own bhrubin has me considering giving them another chance, albeit one sufficiently far away from whoever does the training in Osaka.

Your experience at the Peninsula sounds pretty awful though. The reasons I was looking at it included the river location (with house boat) and great FHR 3rd night free rates, but it sounds like you were treated quite poorly. The on-property dining concerns me less than the fact that someone actually halted you with a hand on your chest.
No Problem. If the main reason you were looking at Pen was the river location, the Siam is also on the river, and also has a houseboat that will pick you up and drop you off (they give you a cellphone to call them when you need a pickup).
Old Oct 12, 2018, 8:57 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
OK friends, two of our dearest friends will be honeymooning in Thailand in March 2019. They aren’t as accustomed to luxury experiences (or budgets) as we are, so we already helped them by using our miles to get them their premium class flights to/from Bangkok.

I am wondering if anyone can suggest some great luxury beach properties for them to consider that are still excellent values (lower price points). I already am suggesting the StR Bangkok for them based on cost/benefit, but I’m also open to any other excellent values in the luxury segment in Bangkok that I can recommend they consider.

I’d hate to think that they have to stay at a JW Marriott Phuket to get a proper luxury beach stay at decent value/lower price point. So anything my esteemed friends here can suggest will be much appreciated.

Private messaging me is perfectly fine, too, in case this request pushes the boundary of proper luxury for this forum.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin
OK friends, two of our dearest friends will be honeymooning in Thailand in March 2019. They arent as accustomed to luxury experiences (or budgets) as we are, so we already helped them by using our miles to get them their premium class flights to/from Bangkok.

I am wondering if anyone can suggest some great luxury beach properties for them to consider that are still excellent values (lower price points). I already am suggesting the StR Bangkok for them based on cost/benefit, but Im also open to any other excellent values in the luxury segment in Bangkok that I can recommend they consider.

Id hate to think that they have to stay at a JW Marriott Phuket to get a proper luxury beach stay at decent value/lower price point. So anything my esteemed friends here can suggest will be much appreciated.

Private messaging me is perfectly fine, too, in case this request pushes the boundary of proper luxury for this forum.
For beach, I'm thinking the little pool suites in the original part of the hotel at Anantara Layan, Phuket, which are amazing value. The beach there is lovely - very private cove with white sand.
MikeFromTokyo and bhrubin like this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ex aman sandra watermann still at ritz samui? can book award

wonder if any deals across brands >
minor.com/MBiz/Hotel.php
minorhotels.com/en/contact-us
minorhotels.com/en/global-sales-offices
minorhotels.com/en/reservations-offices
includes st regis, JW, 7(+) anantara, FS

many inexpensive well regarded luxury in thailand
cant recall rates for rayavadee, como
surin is on amanpuri beach
boathouse phuket owned by trisara managed by HPL
also amanpuri FHR/etc 4th night free in low season

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 13, 2018 at 3:33 pm
Old Oct 13, 2018, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
For beach, I'm thinking the little pool suites in the original part of the hotel at Anantara Layan, Phuket, which are amazing value. The beach there is lovely - very private cove with white sand.
It looks nice! Would you consiter it an alternative to the most mentioned properties here (Trisara, Aman) or only if budget is important?
Old Oct 13, 2018, 5:08 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
ex aman sandra watermann still at ritz samui? can book award

wonder if any deals across brands >
minor.com/MBiz/Hotel.php
minorhotels.com/en/contact-us
minorhotels.com/en/global-sales-offices
minorhotels.com/en/reservations-offices
includes st regis, JW, 7(+) anantara, FS

many inexpensive well regarded luxury in thailand
cant recall rates for rayavadee, como
surin is on amanpuri beach
boathouse phuket owned by trisara managed by HPL
also amanpuri FHR/etc 4th night free in low season
Sandra W is now at Rosewood Phuket

There is luxury & relative / subjective luxury
Old Oct 13, 2018, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
OK friends, two of our dearest friends will be honeymooning in Thailand in March 2019. They arent as accustomed to luxury experiences (or budgets) as we are, so we already helped them by using our miles to get them their premium class flights to/from Bangkok.

I am wondering if anyone can suggest some great luxury beach properties for them to consider that are still excellent values (lower price points). I already am suggesting the StR Bangkok for them based on cost/benefit, but Im also open to any other excellent values in the luxury segment in Bangkok that I can recommend they consider.

Id hate to think that they have to stay at a JW Marriott Phuket to get a proper luxury beach stay at decent value/lower price point. So anything my esteemed friends here can suggest will be much appreciated.

Thats great that you were able to help with their award tickets for that long flight!

I completely agree with Vuittonsofstyle re Anantara Layan. In fact, I cannot think of a single other property that would qualify as luxury that is as affordable as this one in its entry level suites and villas. I would suggest booking the right categories to maximize possible upgrades. GHA status works at Anantara if your friends happen to have it.

StR Bangkok is a good recommendation.

I do not know what exactly the budget is, but you could look for deals on entry level accommodation at Phulay Bay, Rayavadee (through LHW with Leaders Club), The Surin, or even entry level accommodation at Trisara. However, all of these will likely run a bit higher in price than Anantara Layans entry level suites.

Ritz-Carlton Samui apparently did not open well from what I have heard, but I have no experience.

There are also some Luxury Collection properties in Phuket and, if I am not mistaken, Koh Samui as well. Of course there is W in Koh Samui in the Marriott portfolio. Two former Six Senses properties are now Marriott - Naka Island in Phuket and Sheraton Villas in Pranburi (near Hua Hin). The latter is a lovely destination within driving distance from Bangkok, however it does not compare to being on the Andaman Sea.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.