Search

Thailand Honeymoon Help for Nov/Dec 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2018, 4:00 am

-- --
MikeFromTokyo likes this.

Last edited by QPRfan; Nov 6, 2018 at 11:33 am
Old Jan 30, 2018, 4:45 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Exec, CITI Prestige, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold and all ever changing
Originally Posted by QPRfan
I don't like spending too long in one place so your itinerary looks ok to me with the number of places. However I am now going to be a complete hypocrite and suggest dropping a place, as you want your honeymoon to be perfect, without the stress of going to airports, or bags not making their destination etc.

I visited both Krabi (Rayavadee) and Phuket last year and would definitely recommend Krabi - I didn't see anything in Phuket that warrants attention outside of your hotel.
If you haven't visited Thailand before then I would recommend staying longer in Bangkok, it is an excellent city with lots to do. Unlike others I wasn't in love with The Siam there, and would opt for the Peninsula but there are lots of hotels that often fantastic value and so you should be able to find something amazing that allows you to stay where you want for the rest of your trip in Thailand (the suggestion of the St R if you have status and can use a free night is very wise). If you spend more time in Bangkok (say 6 nights) and drop Koh Samui, pick Rayavadee instead of Phuket how does your budget then look? You could spend the first and last 3 nights of your trip in BKK if this suited your itinerary better. Would you be able to get 3 nights at the 4S in the Golden Triangle then?
+1.

Good advice. I really enjoyed Ravayadee, Phuket is best imo if you want to stay within your resort. Bangkok is good, especially if you have never been, and I second about the Siam (much preferred closer to the action, like Pen, Mandarin or StR if you have pts - also had an amazing experience at The Sukhothai) again get the suite for any of these as well worth it. The
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 5:14 am

I see no value in hopping from Krabi/Phuket to Koh Samui. What for? Just pick one resort and stay there for at least a week. I would narrow it down to Four Seasons Koh Samui, Rayavadee, or Trisara.

Secondly, do not underestimate the amount of time you need in Bangkok or Chiang Rai. There’s a lot to do in these wonderful places.
Also, you really should experience a riverside hotel stay in Bangkok if you haven’t already. The Peninsula and even Mandarin Oriental are very reasonably priced for deluxe room accommodation, and the experience will be so much nicer. On the other hand, if you do prefer to use points there are acceptable choices such as St. Regis.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 5:18 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Only recommendation from me, as a thai resident, is DONT GO TO KOH TAO!!!

its extremely DANGEROUS there.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 6:28 am

Programs: aeroplan
If you do head to Phuket, we stayed in a wonderful place just north in Khao Lak - The Sarojin. The beach was beautiful and the resort stunning. It was years ago but it still seems to rate consistently high and the rates are quite good. Congratulations and have fun.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 8:04 am

I'd consider swaping Siem Reap for Phuket. Shorten time a bit up North. Day trips out of Bangkok also worth checking. Also would check rates at the Peninsula BKK. Much nicer to be on the river and rates are typically low + if booked through FHR or Virtuoso very good value + benefits.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 8:09 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
Only recommendation from me, as a thai resident, is DONT GO TO KOH TAO!!!

its extremely DANGEROUS there.
As a former Koh Tao resident, I'd say that the concerns about Koh Tao are massively overstated. I've just come back from 4 weeks there this January myself. Without wanting to go into a long discussion about a number of really unfortunate events, the island is probably one of the safer places to be in Thailand if you're minding your own business (and not insulting Thais or trying to create an alternative drug dealing network).

Having said that, I wouldn't necessarily recommend that you go on your honeymoon, the hotel was just used as an example. I'd be tempted to skip Koh Samui and then obviously the nearby islands wouldn't make sense either.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 9:21 am

I absolutely love Rayavadee, so that would be my recommendation in Krabi. I would only choose Phuket if Trisara were within budget, as they have by far the best standard accommodation.

Re Chiang Mai, if push comes to shove, I would actually consider less expensive options if that would allow a higher budget for Golden Triangle and other parts of the trip. I think a suite at Anantara Golden Triangle provides excellent value, if FS is over budget. Anantara Chiang Mai is also a great choice.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I absolutely love Rayavadee, so that would be my recommendation in Krabi. I would only choose Phuket if Trisara were within budget, as they have by far the best standard accommodation.

Re Chiang Mai, if push comes to shove, I would actually consider less expensive options if that would allow a higher budget for Golden Triangle and other parts of the trip. I think a suite at Anantara Golden Triangle provides excellent value, if FS is over budget. Anantara Chiang Mai is also a great choice.
Also 137 Pillars House in Chiang Mai - I prefer this over Anantara.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

well regarded here >
phulay and rayavadee, for different reasons
when it was MO, dhara dhevi
FS samui has beachfront, can ask re discounted upgrade

bangkok - (OP doing award stay) could consider st regis award (st regis is same owner as FS, anantara) also if you have hyatt and theyre bookable some here are fans of grand hyatt spa cottages

FS, anantara, owner Minor may discount multi-hotel trips?
is FS bangkok construction on track for opening this year?

if rayavadee that is krabi and not 'secluded'
while FS samui more 'secluded' luxury beach
FS is (a lot?) less than aman and trisara
many here valued FS GT, some did not

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 30, 2018 at 2:54 pm
Old Jan 30, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: RCI
Bangkok and alwaya Bangkok i was the best experience of my life. Marriott Marquis Queens Park or Marriott Suk is agood choice.. I prefer a ecologhic hotel but is great
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:15 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Why does everyone say the StR BKK only on points? It's one of the best value StRs and you can book a Metropolitan Suite for around $400ish and they'll further upgrade you with status?
Old Jan 30, 2018, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Why does everyone say the StR BKK only on points? It's one of the best value StRs and you can book a Metropolitan Suite for around $400ish and they'll further upgrade you with status?
Rates at StR BKK are indeed low, in my eyes no sweer spot for points.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 3:48 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
At busy times the cheapest room can go for well north of 12,000BHT or is alternatively available for 12,000 points. That's a pretty good deal if you enjoy the property (can reach 4c/ point).
Old Jan 30, 2018, 3:57 pm

Re multi hotel stays - Four Seasons may negotiate discounted upgrades. There is also the possibility of the free two nights at other FS if booking three plus nights at FS Golden Triangle, if that offer is still available. That could take care of two nights at FS Chiang Mai or Koh Samui.

Minor FS are of course managed separately from Anantara, so multi hotel discount is less likely across different brands. However, wholly within FS or Anantara, something may be possible. There is no published offer for multi hotel discounts that I am aware of, but I think a few emails to management of the relevant properties might yield results. They would definitely want to win the business.

An all Anantara or all FS itinerary would very likely make upgrades easier to negotiate. (Anantara Siam Bangkok may also negotiate in conjunction with other FS stays, as it was previously FS BK.)

If Anantara - join their membership program (which is GHA membership) to avail of discounted rates and benefits.

Anantara has its Layan property next door to Trisara, which would likely be within budget.

This is true, but that is of no help to someone wanting free accommodation in order to stretch budget on other parts of a larger itinerary. Point valuation goes out the window if one is not trying to maximize redemption value, but simply save cash.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Jan 31, 2018 at 7:01 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.