Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury Trappings of No Interest

Luxury Trappings of No Interest

Old Jan 21, 18, 5:37 pm
  #1  
Original Member
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Northern California USA
Posts: 2,298
Luxury Trappings of No Interest

Some luxury offerings, both hard and soft, have no attraction for us.

For example,

-- TV screen in the bathroom prompts snarky giggles.
-- A bed so high a running start is needed to summit.
-- Elaborate bed clothes including too many cushions contributing zip to sleep, and that silly skinny superimposed border at the end of beds that serves no purpose. Comfy throws welcome.
-- Bath butler; I can manage this on my own, thanks.
-- Preponderance of coffee-table books, even when not actually on the coffee table. Most other books welcome.

Which trappings prompt your giggles or scorn?

KatW is offline  
Old Jan 21, 18, 6:17 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: BKK
Posts: 6,706
I do not like it when “mini bar” items are displayed in full view on shelves or counter tops. It’s just clutter that is unsightly. Why do I have to look at bottles of Johnnie Walker and packages of pringles crisps, mixed nuts and chocolate bars? Four Seasons often does this. Mini bar items should be enclosed in cabinets, drawers, or the refrigerator where they are easily accessible but out of sight.
MikeFromTokyo is offline  
Old Jan 21, 18, 7:40 pm
  #3  
formerly known as deathscar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: Virtuoso | SPG | Hyatt Prive
Posts: 1,943
Originally Posted by KatW View Post
Some luxury offerings, both hard and soft, have no attraction for us.

For example,

-- TV screen in the bathroom prompts snarky giggles.
I quite like this in most city hotel bathrooms. However, will they ever make one where you can ACTUALLY watch it lying down? Most of these seem to 'blacken out' when you lie in the bath to watch so you can barely see the screen at the tilted angle. All good standing up though, but that's not the point of a TV in the bath is it? The worst effect of this I saw was at Ritz-Carlton Hong Kong. I couldn't see a thing. Was perfectly fine to watch it standing up.
chinmoylad is offline  
Old Jan 21, 18, 8:25 pm
  #4  
Was sydakllon
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: SYD
Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Posts: 679
I prefer for TVs to be basically invisible in a hotel room/suite. Hide, hide, hide. TVs in bedrooms are especially tacky.

One of mine would be technology in the room that doesn't make sense or that I can't quickly learn for a short stay. I'll take an old school light switch over a complex smart device or system any day.
DavidO likes this.
SojournsOf is offline  
Old Jan 21, 18, 8:35 pm
  #5  
Original Member
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Northern California USA
Posts: 2,298
I would prefer no TVs at all but understand I am in the minoity regarding this appliance. Although, if we must have a TV, I'd rather it be in the bedroom than in the living room.

Originally Posted by sydakllon View Post
I prefer for TVs to be basically invisible in a hotel room/suite. Hide, hide, hide. TVs in bedrooms are especially tacky.

One of mine would be technology in the room that doesn't make sense or that I can't quickly learn for a short stay. I'll take an old school light switch over a complex smart device or system any day.
KatW is offline  
Old Jan 21, 18, 8:45 pm
  #6  
Was sydakllon
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: SYD
Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Posts: 679
Originally Posted by KatW View Post
I would prefer no TVs at all but understand I am in the minoity regarding this appliance. Although, if we must have a TV, I'd rather it be in the bedroom than in the living room.
Totally each to their own - I'm a no devices / screens in my sleeping space person!
KatW and vuittonsofstyle like this.
SojournsOf is offline  
Old Jan 21, 18, 8:50 pm
  #7  
Original Member
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Northern California USA
Posts: 2,298
My husband gets upset when I refer to him as a device.

Originally Posted by sydakllon View Post
Totally each to their own - I'm a no devices / screens in my sleeping space person!
KatW is offline  
Old Jan 21, 18, 9:02 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: So. California
Programs: UA, SPG
Posts: 1,374
I am not a fan of the automated lighting control panels. Often they seem not to function as one would think they should with some light here or there not correctly automated. And too often the screen itself is bedside and way too bright at night so you have to put a magazine over it. I love electric curtains though!
KatW and RichardInSF like this.
peter11 is offline  
Old Jan 21, 18, 9:21 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: BOS
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 1,844
Escorting me to my room (at city hotels). This is unnecessary, as is the "room tour". If I need instructions on how to operate the lights or the AC, then the room technology is too complicated.
KeepDiscovering likes this.
callmedtop is offline  
Old Jan 22, 18, 12:48 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SFO
Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Posts: 822
Am not a tv fan. I can do without as I don't watch at home either. But I do love lots of pillows and lots of towels! I almost always ask for more!
Larkin is offline  
Old Jan 22, 18, 12:56 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,142
Originally Posted by callmedtop View Post
Escorting me to my room (at city hotels). This is unnecessary, as is the "room tour". If I need instructions on how to operate the lights or the AC, then the room technology is too complicated.
Couldnít agree more. I hate being escorted to our room and find the whole thing awkward and uncomfortable.

Things I never use in a hotel:
-Body Lotion (why anybody would want to have a shower then get out and slaver themselves in cream is beyond me!)
-Unpacking service if itís offered
MSPeconomist likes this.
jp-mco is offline  
Old Jan 22, 18, 1:02 am
  #12  
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 7,265
I don't like AC power outlets that only work when the lights are on. Also, dislike smart lighting panels and smart thermostats that work on motion (eg. guest in room).
FlyerEC and MSPeconomist like this.

Last edited by Aventine; Jan 22, 18 at 1:11 am
Aventine is offline  
Old Jan 22, 18, 1:09 am
  #13  
Original Member
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Northern California USA
Posts: 2,298
Then there are some venues where you would not find your room without an escort.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
KatW is offline  
Old Jan 22, 18, 1:37 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,259
Originally Posted by KatW View Post
My husband gets upset when I refer to him as a device.
Haha
Epicura is offline  
Old Jan 22, 18, 1:45 am
  #15  
Original Member
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Northern California USA
Posts: 2,298
Regarding body lotion, the best way to use it is to shower with soap first, rinse. Then slather the lotion all over and rub it in, Follow up with a good rinsing shower.

Originally Posted by jonjparr View Post
Things I never use in a hotel:
-Body Lotion (why anybody would want to have a shower then get out and slaver themselves in cream is beyond me.
KatW is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: