Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury Trappings of No Interest

Luxury Trappings of No Interest

Old Jan 23, 2018, 6:00 am

Re televisions, I fo not have a strong opinion about this, but I prefer it when they are concealed when not in use. I often do not even turn them on, and think most room décors look better without that appliance. The newer, high end models are better looking these days however.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Re televisions, I fo not have a strong opinion about this, but I prefer it when they are concealed when not in use. I often do not even turn them on, and think most room décors look better without that appliance. The newer, high end models are better looking these days however.
Same here.
I just don't want them blocking a view or window like Andaz Tokyo. I also don't like them on showing the hotel or resort's wares.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Funny was Burj Al Arab. It was concealed when not in use but much too small for the entire room disign (think 32 Inch). At Burj at would at least expect a 60 Inch.....
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Ericka

My 6 year old loves his tiny bathrobes. He looks for them when we arrive. Some of our cutest vacation pictures are of him posing in them. (Amanruya included). I’ll admit I like them because I’m cold all the time.
Never had such a bathrobe in a hotel I guess not all offer them, but many. What percentage of the hotels you stayed in offered them do you think?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 4:28 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

I don't think I have stayed at a luxury venue that did not offer robes. Sometimes they are placed on the bed during turn down and look like a collapsed person (well, sometimes there is wine).

Originally Posted by offerendum

Never had such a bathrobe in a hotel I guess not all offer them, but many. What percentage of the hotels you stayed in offered them do you think?

Last edited by KatW; Jan 23, 2018 at 4:34 pm
Old Jan 23, 2018, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Funny was Burj Al Arab. It was concealed when not in use but much too small for the entire room disign (think 32 Inch). At Burj at would at least expect a 60 Inch.....
They had to save money somewhere!
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:02 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by jonjparr

-Body Lotion (why anybody would want to have a shower then get out and slaver themselves in cream is beyond me!)
Can be useful in a dry climate or an extremely cold climate (eg minus 30 C and colder where the air is devoid of humidity). You don't slather yourself. A little on the forehead, elbows and perhaps part of the arm.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Things I don't like:
  • Phones right beside the toilet, clearly designed to be used while one is actually sitting on the bowl. Yuck. Plus, think of the last person who actually used that phone? How clean were his or her hands?
  • Ridiculous complicated curtain or window shade mechanisms where you have to use a remote device
  • Overly complicated climate controls with 30 plus buttons on a remote control with symbols only that make no apparent sense
Old Jan 24, 2018, 3:44 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM

The children’s bathrobes? The usual suspects have them...FS, Peninsula, Rosewood, Amans.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Yes, thought about the childrens robes. Normal robes are of course Standard as it was in my childhood.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 9:46 pm

Question: has anyone ever been offered a partial packing service by a hotel? I'd always say no to the hotel packing my case because I know how I want my stuff packed myself, but I really hate having to fold up my clothes, unknot cabling and so on and so on. If there were a butler service that would just fold up my clothes and put my stuff in order, then leave me to pack it, I think that would be a dream come true. Does this even exist?
Old Jan 24, 2018, 9:57 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by passionforhotels
Question: has anyone ever been offered a partial packing service by a hotel? I'd always say no to the hotel packing my case because I know how I want my stuff packed myself, but I really hate having to fold up my clothes, unknot cabling and so on and so on. If there were a butler service that would just fold up my clothes and put my stuff in order, then leave me to pack it, I think that would be a dream come true. Does this even exist?
Absolutely. Any St Regis butler can do this. I know of several from different properties who’ve told me of guests asking them to do exactly as you prefer. All St Regis butlers provide packing and unpacking services, so what you propose is just half of the packing!

Most butlers in other hotels likely could do this, as well, probably for a fee or for an appropriate tip of normally they do not provide packing or unpacking services already. I’d guess that our butler at the Imperial Vienna gladly would have done this had I asked. I’d also guess that the villa butlers at Las Ventanas al Paraiso in Cabo also easily would be able to do this. Wouldn’t you agree, @KatW?
passionforhotels likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 10:35 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by mapleg
Things I don't like:
  • Phones right beside the toilet, clearly designed to be used while one is actually sitting on the bowl. Yuck. Plus, think of the last person who actually used that phone? How clean were his or her hands?
Is anyone actually using this for any purpose (business calls? ordering food?) other than emergency?
Old Jan 24, 2018, 10:50 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Is anyone actually using this for any purpose (business calls? ordering food?) other than emergency?
i LOVE a phone in the bathroom...for those inevitable instances when a call comes in when I’m so indisposed. For me, to quote a great line in Alien versus Predator: “Same principle as a condom. I'd rather have one and not need it, than need it and not have one.”
jp-mco likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 4:13 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
No interest: pillow menus, soap menus, scent menus, tech loaners, preloaded iPods, "dumb" iPads, online periodical access, bath butlers, fruit, ice, refillable glass water bottles, cotton balls, fake magazines

Interest: sunglass cleaning wipes and other little thoughtful amenities, non-food turndown gifts, an app that I can put on my device to order room service / communicate with the hotel, fireplace butlers, adapters, a router just for my room, real magazines, a property map
bhrubin likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.