FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Travel Insurance for Luxury Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1889252-travel-insurance-luxury-travelers.html)

KatW Jan 19, 2018 12:44 am

Travel Insurance for Luxury Travelers

Travel insurance: Yay or Nay?

We travel luxe most of the time and historically I have not availed myself of travel insurance and only once have suffered therefore. But I recently booked a VERY expensive trip and chose to insure it for a hefty premium.

And I feel like a chump. But I have good reasons to seek protection with so many big bucks at risk: my husband is in mid-stage dementia and I have lupus, albeit generally well behaved. So, I swallowed the bait this time. Would you?

scented Jan 19, 2018 1:34 am

Originally Posted by KatW (Post 29311682)

We travel luxe most of the time and historically I have not availed myself of travel insurance and only once have suffered therefore. But I recently booked a VERY expensive trip and chose to insure it for a hefty premium.

And I feel like a chump. But I have good reasons to seek protection with so many big bucks at risk: my husband is in mid-stage dementia and I have lupus, albeit generally well behaved. So, I swallowed the bait this time. Would you?

I wouldn’t do a single trip without it anymore. Yes it might be pricey, but today more than ever it has proven invaluable to me.

QPRfan Jan 19, 2018 1:42 am

Last year whilst my wife was pregnant we took out travel insurance, however normally we don't bother.

I also decline the reductions in car excess when renting cars. I haven't ever been involved in a collision or accident and have been driving for 18 years. When I first do something that causes damage my behaviour might change, but until then I'm relaxed.

MikeFromTokyo Jan 19, 2018 2:27 am

I generally make bookings for expensive resorts realtively close to the time of travel, so I feel comfortable not insuring those bookings. For city hotel reservations, I typically have a 24 hour or similar cancellation policy, so similarly I find that within my risk tolerance. Most of my airline tickets are also flexible and refundable, so there is no need to insure.

It comes down to evaluating the actual risk involved, and weighing that against the cost of insurance and your personal risk tolerance. For a substantial five figure (or higher) non refundable travel investment you should probably have insurance. If some travel agency or airline is pushing an insurance policy on you for a trip that actually involves little risk, then it’s time to circle the wagons. Those travel providers are paid a commission on the policies they sell, and they would absolutely love to sell you something you do not need.

As an aside, I think it’s wonderful that you and your husband continue to travel in spite of medical conditions. So many conditions can affect people of all ages, and I think it is a huge mistake when people allow those conditions to stop them from enjoying life to the fullest.

MacMyDay Jan 19, 2018 2:43 am

I've never paid for additional travel insurance and just rely on what AMEX and HSBC Premier offer. The only time I've made a claim was whilst staying in The Armani Hotel in Dubai and my ex needed a doctor, which turned into quite an expensive visit that cost more than the holiday itself. HSBC paid it all back within a week.

Pausanias Jan 19, 2018 2:56 am

I get year-round worldwide travel insurance as part of my bank's services. A few years ago my wife broke her wrist in Fiji on the last day of a cruise from Tahiti so the ship's doctor fixed her up temporarily with a splint. Air NZ would not change our flights and our LA hotel would not give us a refund for a cancelled stopover. So I had to buy from Fiji Business Class flights straight through to London - about £6000 from memory - and the insurance paid everything - flights, medical assistance, the LA hotel expenses - without the slightest quibble. Got the cheque in a week.

As I do a lot of cruising - just back from Antarctica - most cruise companies ask you to prove you have insurance. Otherwise you can't go.

TheBrownPrince Jan 19, 2018 3:00 am

I'm not sure what kind of figures we're talking about here but for a trip less than $10k per person, Amex Platinum should be all you need. I've claimed from them twice and both times were hassle free. One was baggage delay, the other was trip cancellation - Orient Express Train + 4S hotel booking. Everything was refunded including prepaid activity bookings.

FlyingDoctorwu Jan 19, 2018 3:03 am

I've generally avoided buying travel insurance but have thought about it multiple times... Even mores for my parents, who are in their mid 70s.. Right now I've relied on a the benefit provided by my credits cards, Chase Sapphire Reserve or Citi Prestige... It's not full blown insurance but I believe it checks enough boxes for my taste. One thing it doesn't do super well is if there are any irregular operations necessitating purchasing additional airfare or travel arrangements... but other than that it's got basic trip cancellation/interruption (up to 10K), medical evacuation ((up to 100K), emergency dental/medical and etc.... I do believe that Amex Plat Charge card offers unlimited coverage on the medical evacuation so I've considered getting one of those for my parents.. so, sure it's not comprehensive insurance but it's something....

FDW

offerendum Jan 19, 2018 5:15 am

Often it should be cheaper to book flexible rates as possible. So far I even didn´t take an insurance for non-cancelable travels and take the risk. If it´s only a hotel I always hope at least someone of my family can use it. Flighs which are pricy if long haul are always a problem. Also sometimes many things are excluded, for excample known health problems. If I Count how many bugs I saved I guess on journey would be free;). Also my Platinum Card has some kind of insurance.

In general I think as older you are as more important is a travel insurance.

offerendum Jan 19, 2018 5:21 am

P.S. Checked my Platinum Card. Yes, there is a insurance if I have to cancel but only up to 6.000,00 € per Person. Enough for flights buttight for a whole trip.

Cityflyer10 Jan 19, 2018 5:35 am

Only travel insurance I usually go for is medical if somewhere where costs could end up being significant (say an evacuation to a modern hospital). There are a lot of tropical destinations where anything serious, you would need a medivac to get proper care and those are not cheap!

JetAway Jan 19, 2018 6:35 am

Originally Posted by Cityflyer10 (Post 29312105)
Only travel insurance I usually go for is medical if somewhere where costs could end up being significant (say an evacuation to a modern hospital). There are a lot of tropical destinations where anything serious, you would need a medivac to get proper care and those are not cheap!

Totally agree. Potential medical costs should be the main concern, particularly if your credit card covers basic travel contingencies. I have great "domestic" medical insurance but always buy travel insurance when going overseas for the medical coverage.

luxtrvlwrks Jan 19, 2018 6:42 am

I always purchase travel insurance for my trips, primarily for the medical component as many countries require proof of ability to pay before treatment, and of course US health insurance is not accepted. There are two important pieces to the medical coverage. One, you want to make sure you purchase the policy within 14 days or your initial trip deposit so that you can get the pre-existing condition waiver. This rule varies among companies, for some it is 21 days, but 14 days is a good rule of thumb. Two, make sure the medical coverage is first payer, meaning that your travel insurance policy will pay for your treatment first, and then go after any other coverage that you may have for reimbursement later.

I also purchase a separate annual medivac plan.

MikeFromTokyo is spot on that insurance is about figuring our your personal tolerance for risk. Some people may prefer to self-insure, meaning it would not impact their lives in any significant way to shell out $100,000 for a medivac, or lose $80,000 on nonrefundable trip components.

That being said, a lot of the potential reasons for claims are not things that most people think could really happen to them - volcanoes, airport power outages, hurricanes in New York, getting hit by a car, tripping and breaking your arm, supplier bankruptcy, etc. Many people will say, well it's summer so so our flights should be on time, and grandma is healthy, so I don't need insurance.

I have a low risk tolerance, in part due to being a TA and seeing all of the things that can and do go wrong. Plus, my family's business is insurance, although not travel related.

MikeFromTokyo Jan 19, 2018 6:46 am

Originally Posted by offerendum (Post 29312070)
...Also sometimes many things are excluded, for excample known health problems...

This is an important point. If a medical emergency or trip cancellation were deemed to be related to a known medical condition, travel insurance could deny a claim.

RolfD Jan 19, 2018 7:18 am

absolutely a travel insurance is a must. I will never book anything without travel insurance

offerendum Jan 19, 2018 8:20 am

Originally Posted by RolfD (Post 29312415)

absolutely a travel insurance is a must. I will never book anything without travel insurance

That’s extreme! If price for s flight is 400 € and they claim 40 or 50 € for insurance, I will not book it.

SanDiego1K Jan 19, 2018 9:02 am

I look forward to reading more thoughts about this. I'd love to hear from Americans who have found affordable annual travel insurance policies. I understand that Europeans almost automatically get policies thru their bank that are not available to us living in the US. I've researched travel insurance several times and find it tied to individual trips and quite expensive. We travel frequently and I'd love to find an annual policy.

For several years we have paid for MedJet evacuation insurance. This is an annual policy that I tend to buy for three years at a time. It gives me some comfort to know that we can be brought back home should we need extended care. And I continue to rely on Chase Sapphire insurance that comes with charging the travel components to it. How well that will work with parts of trips paid with points interlaced with paid travel I have no idea. We have never had to absorb more than a few hundred dollars from trip disruption but I do feel as this is an area where I have a little gray cloud over my head.

offerendum Jan 19, 2018 9:28 am

Points btw..... Mostly reservations on Points are cancelable at short notice. If not I guess no insurance will help you

Kagehitokiri Jan 19, 2018 9:31 am

any insurance refund nights if one arrives late ?

my risk tolerance includes risk of expensive insurance not paying out, especially when its a standardized offering with lengthy fine print and exclusions.

RichardInSF Jan 19, 2018 9:36 am

I have never purchased travel insurance and I have had an unexpected health emergency that was not a pre-existing condition. That trip was mostly charged on my Amex plat and I didn't remember that coverage so approached all the suppliers directly. Most made an exception although some required a doctor's letter and the non-refundable portions totaled about $600 or so, mainly because one lodging supplier refused any refund (Landmark Trust, a British charity).

That was way cheaper than had I been buying travel insurance all along. I hear that the commission on many of those policies can routinely go as high as 35%, which tells me all I need to know.

I have however noticed that luxury and high-end city hotels have been hiking up their cancellation times to as much as 72 hours in the last year, which is frustrating.

So I'm a strong NO on this insurance, but then I am willing to make the effort required to ask these companies to waive their restrictions if something bad happens and have so far mostly succeeded with that.

DavidO Jan 19, 2018 9:37 am

Very interesting and important topic. Here's my thinking:

The devil is in the details, so depend on what's actually written in the travel insurance company's policy, not on my understanding. I deal exclusively with Travelex because of our good experience with them over the years, so I'm only speaking of their policies.
Medical insurance - If you're on Medicare, your coverage is of no value once you leave the U.S., so coverage for medical expenses is a must. You can purchase an inexpensive policy from Travelex that includes medical coverage by purchasing at least $1 of cancellation protection (so put in $500, as it's the same premium as $1). This gets you medical protection, some dental coverage, and medical evacuation.

Pre-existing conditions. If you purchase a Travelex Select policy within 21 days of your first deposit, pre-existing conditions are covered. However, you must be medically able to travel at the time of purchase.

Car rental insurance. If you have a credit card that provides PRIMARY rental insurance, you don't need anything more. However, if your CC provides only secondary insurance, they'll pay only the deductible on your own auto insurance — meaning you'll have to make a claim and suffer a premium increase. So primary insurance is worth taking. Amex has a Premium Car Rental Protection program that provides primary insurance whenever you rent a car using your enrolled card — one price for the entire rental (maximum 42 days), and the pricing is extremely reasonable... costs less than Travelex's car rental add-on.

Cancellation insurance. The difference is whether you want to "self insure" or share the risk with a larger pool (insurance). On average, over time, self-insuring will pay off as insurance companies do make a profit on their policies. But if you've got a big, non-refundable deposit, are traveling with kids or have aged parents, and are concerned that a head cold preventing your child from flying could cost you thousands, cancellation insurance can help you relax about it. Travelex Select policies cover kids under 18 for free — so, for instance, if a mom and dad are traveling with two young children, you're essentially paying only half price for the insurance.

RichardInSF Jan 19, 2018 9:47 am

David, many of the standardized medigap insurance plans (including F, the most common type) automatically include coverage when outside the USA. So most people with Medicare may already have what they need.

And you don't need the credit card auto collision coverage to be primary outside the USA as virtually no US auto policy covers outside the country. You also don't need it if you don't have collision coverage, which is often done with older non-collectible cars.

Gig103 Jan 19, 2018 9:53 am

Originally Posted by offerendum (Post 29312082)
P.S. Checked my Platinum Card. Yes, there is a insurance if I have to cancel but only up to 6.000,00 € per Person. Enough for flights buttight for a whole trip.

My Citi card provides $5000/traveler, but now that I book premium airfare, that no longer covers my whole trip, so I'm sort of in the same situation.

The only time I booked trip insurance was back in 2014 when I had a trip planned around the time of my cancer diagnosis. I was able to qualify for a pre-existing waiver and my travel was after my expected recovery, but of course if things didn't go according to plan I didn't want to miss out. (3.5 years cancer free now, went on the trip, had a great time).

behuman Jan 19, 2018 10:06 am

No travel insurance for sure

Insurance companies make big money selling "travel insurances" which will need a lawyer to get some money considering all the exclusions.

I think a comprehensive worldwide health /accident insurance is the only thing you need if:
  • you book only flights which are changeable / refundable,
  • choose hotels / resorts according to their cancellation policies and are willing to bear that risk,
  • have a credit card covering you for car hire damage excess fees and
  • are a reasonably experienced traveler who is multilingual and able to sort out things yourself.
Hence for sure no travel insurance for me, but wise risk management. I not like the idea that everything can be "insured".

Ericka Jan 19, 2018 10:13 am

Evacuation - we have a DAN (yes, scuba diving) family membership

Cancellation
Big Expensive Trips - we buy a travelex policy
Little Trips - we have adequate coverage with our UA Mileage Plus credit card

Note, many of our trips use airline miles which can be redeposited without penalty.

Ericka Jan 19, 2018 10:19 am

Originally Posted by behuman (Post 29313083)
and are willing to bear that risk,

So as an example, we bought a travelex policy for our 9-night luxury African Safari. Sickness is a common theme when you have a little boy in the house!

RolfD Jan 19, 2018 10:22 am

Originally Posted by offerendum (Post 29312654)

That’s extreme! If price for s flight is 400 € and they claim 40 or 50 € for insurance, I will not book it.

That is your opinion, but again I don’t do coach or one star hotels

luxtrvlwrks Jan 19, 2018 10:23 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF (Post 29313007)
David, many of the standardized medigap insurance plans (including F, the most common type) automatically include coverage when outside the USA. So most people with Medicare may already have what they need.

To be clear, so that anyone on Medicare that may read this has the facts from Medicare.gov:

If you have Medigap Plan C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, M or N, your plan:
  • Covers foreign travel emergency care if it begins during the first 60 days of your trip, and if Medicare doesn't otherwise cover the care.
  • Pays 80% of the billed charges for certain medically necessary emergency care outside the U.S. after you meet a $250 deductible for the year.
Foreign travel emergency coverage with Medigap policies has a lifetime limit of $50,000.
To reiterate my earlier point, having coverage is only part of the equation. You also have to have the ability to pay upfront first (and float that balance until you receive your benefits). Furthermore, a $50,000 lifetime maximum isn't much coverage and paying 80% isn't great either.

It's a good idea to look at all of the coverage that you have available to compare with any potential travel-specific plans of interest, and weigh that against your risk tolerance.

dulciusexasperis Jan 19, 2018 10:31 am

There are a couple of general factors you leave out that matter.

1. What do you mean by 'travel insurance'? Generally speaking, what people refer to as travel insurance falls into 2 categories. Medical insurance and trip insurance. Some people are talking about both when they use the term 'travel insurance' but many are talking about only one or the other. Medical insurance should be a must for anyone who understands that even you can get hit by a bus and that can result in huge medical bills. Trip insurance can be ignored IF you are willing to risk the potential costs you won't have covered. A hotel cancellation, a flight cancellation, a lost bag, etc.

2. Attitudes to insurance differ by nationality in many cases. In a country where you are used to having to pay for things out of your own pocket, you find more people willing to go without insurance. In a country where medical coverage is universally provided, few people would be happy with the idea of having to pay out of their own pocket if something happened to them.

3. Self-insuring (whether you think of it that way or not) and your ability to do so is the only other option. If you don't buy insurance then that is what you are doing, again, whether you think of it that way or not. Generally speaking, you should be able to come up with a number as a percentage of your income that you are willing to lose. Anything that will cost you more than that, you should be insuring for. So for example if you had to lose the cost of all flights and hotels and that came to 1% of your annual income, you might feel comfortable enough self-insuring. If it totaled 10% of your annual income however, you might not. Then you should insure.

This point of calculating what you are happy with self-insuring, never applies to medical coverage however as you cannot calculate how much that might be. Hotel, flights, a lost camera, etc. are all costs you can know beforehand. Medical is not. You can also find plenty of horror stories online of people who even bought some kind of travel insurance and thought they were covered for something, only to find out they were not. So reading and understanding your whole policy is a must.

One simple example of what may or may not be covered is when a woman travels while pregnant. If she has a premature birth, she may find for example that her hospital costs for the birth are covered but the costs of any care given to the baby are not! The baby is not insured and what's more you can't buy insurance for the baby before it is born. Lesson, don't travel when pregnant.
https://www.thestar.com/business/per...e_roseman.html

MikeFromTokyo Jan 19, 2018 10:39 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF (Post 29312946)
I have never purchased travel insurance and I have had an unexpected health emergency that was not a pre-existing condition. That trip was mostly charged on my Amex plat and I didn't remember that coverage so approached all the suppliers directly. Most made an exception although some required a doctor's letter and the non-refundable portions totaled about $600 or so, mainly because one lodging supplier refused any refund (Landmark Trust, a British charity).

That was way cheaper than had I been buying travel insurance all along. I hear that the commission on many of those policies can routinely go as high as 35%, which tells me all I need to know.

I have however noticed that luxury and high-end city hotels have been hiking up their cancellation times to as much as 72 hours in the last year, which is frustrating.

So I'm a strong NO on this insurance, but then I am willing to make the effort required to ask these companies to waive their restrictions if something bad happens and have so far mostly succeeded with that.

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri (Post 29312926)
any insurance refund nights if one arrives late ?

my risk tolerance includes risk of expensive insurance not paying out, especially when its a standardized offering with lengthy fine print and exclusions.

I totally agree. The possibility of insurance not paying out and the simple hassle of filing a claim factors into my risk tolerance.

I used to buy insurance similar to Travelex sold through Japanese travel agencies. Then I realized that I had cumulatively paid far more for those policies than a covered travel disruption or medical expense likely would have cost. Therefore, I am now less likely to purchase that type of insurance unless I were going to a remote area where a medivac would be costly if anything serious happened.

I would insure a non refundable, substantial five figure resort reservation. But, as it is I tend to book closer in - sometimes basically last minute - and therefore my risk exposure is not particularly high. Most of my travel is within my risk tolerance, also considering the coverage I have through Amex and other credit cards.

Kagehitokiri Jan 19, 2018 10:46 am

medjet (and IIRC DAN) etc is from hospital rather than point of injury.

i have not explored medical, but cant imagine i would be happy with standardized mass market plan. 'real' insurance can be expensive and still have exclusions. many choose to not have 'real' insurance for many things.

would be interesting to have great coverage and access to medical / security on ground, likely expensive.

luxury can be expensive - (tens of) thousands per night. insurance refunding late arrivals would be interesting.

presumably some here stick with biggest chains in hopes that they may be more likely to negotiate.

offerendum Jan 19, 2018 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by RolfD (Post 29313143)

That is your opinion, but again I don’t do coach or one star hotels

1 star and coach is excactly what I do all the time:D

P.S. Over the few years I travel I never didn’t use a prepaid stay or lost money for a flight.

MD/DC Flyer Jan 19, 2018 12:21 pm

As someone who takes photography tours that involve hiking and being in somewhat remote environments, I've found that the coverage from the Austrian Alpine Club (UK) is very reasonably priced and cover a lot of the medical treatment and evacuation that I might need.

For the membership fee one gets up to 25,000 Euro of rescue costs, repatriation cost with no limit, medical treatment up to 10,000 Euro as well as third party liability up to 3M Euro. All of that for the 52 Pounds (or 40 for Seniors) for a year makes a lot of sense. https://aacuk.org.uk/p-mountain-rescue-search-insurance

MikeFromTokyo Jan 19, 2018 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum (Post 29313742)
1 star and coach is excactly what I do all the time:D

P.S. Over the few years I travel I never didn’t use a prepaid stay or lost money for a flight.

I had a feeling that you would really go for Delta Basic Economy (middle seat) and Holiday Inn Express!:D;)

WINKI4 Jan 19, 2018 12:52 pm

ALLIANZ has yearly travel insurance policies. Ours was $350 per year.

offerendum Jan 19, 2018 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo (Post 29313893)
I had a feeling that you would really go for Delta Basic Economy (middle seat) and Holiday Inn Express!:D;)

You nailed it! To be honest I prefer IBIS styles over HI Express - sounds so fancy. Or Formula 1 with shared bathroom! Dounds like fuel, fast cars and all the circus....

I agree health insurance is a must. Fortunately my insurance is vailed worldwide unlimited, additional my Amex offers unlimited coverage (not sure if simgle room etc but don’t think will ever use it).

P.S. Price of journey is one factor but not the most important. If the journey is more expensive it’s most likely the case with the insurance. Often it’s a percentage calculation. So in the end the loss may be high on the first view but if you calculate it it’s after 10 journeys or so the same cost risk relation. Additional one amount of money is not the same for different people.

MikeFromTokyo Jan 19, 2018 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum (Post 29314020)

You nailed it! To be honest I prefer IBIS styles over HI Express - sounds so fancy. Or Formula 1 with shared bathroom! Dounds like fuel, fast cars and all the circus....

I agree health insurance is a must. Fortunately my insurance is vailed worldwide unlimited, additional my Amex offers unlimited coverage (not sure if simgle room etc but don’t think will ever use it).

P.S. Price of journey is one factor but not the most important. If the journey is more expensive it’s most likely the case with the insurance. Often it’s a percentage calculation. So in the end the loss may be high on the first view but if you calculate it it’s after 10 journeys or so the same cost risk relation. Additional one amount of money is not the same for different people.

I knew it! Next time, if you see me at a Formula One or IBIS styles please say hi. I’m usually wearing a some Nascar apparel and my Make America Great Again hat. I always order a burnt steak with extra ketchup and wash that down with Miller beer;)

Re insurance, I found it amusing when I recently bought a regional one way business class ticket for about $300 (here in Southeastern Asia). The airline was offering a $10 insurance policy that was slected by default - i.e. one has to look and then uncheck that box to opt out. It’s a total money grab. Why would I need to insure a cheap ticket that is refundable and changeable anyway? My guess is that many people just click through the booking steps and unwittingly purchase that insurance policy, out of which a large commission is paid to the airline.

offerendum Jan 19, 2018 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo (Post 29314174)

I knew it! Next time, if you see me at a Formula One or IBIS styles please say hi. I’m usually wearing a some Nascar apparel and my Make America Great Again hat. I always order a burnt steak with extra ketchup and wash that down with Miller beer;)

Re insurance, I found it amusing when I recently bought a regional one way business class ticket for about $300 (here in Southeastern Asia). The airline was offering a $10 insurance policy that was slected by default - i.e. one has to look and then uncheck that box to opt out. It’s a total money grab. Why would I need to insure a cheap ticket that is refundable and changeable anyway? My guess is that many people just click through the booking steps and unwittingly purchase that insurance policy, out of which a large commission is paid to the airline.

Eurowings offers flexible option for a premium which is 2x the price of the ticket. Of course you can buy insurance too.... You must especially confirm that you renounce the valuable protection:rolleyes:

aa213bb Jan 19, 2018 3:46 pm

Short Answer: Hard Pass

Longer Answer: like many others (e.g. MikeFromTokyo), we tend to travel so last minute that the necessity for it asymptotically approaches zero.

Often1 Jan 19, 2018 3:53 pm

The term "travel insurance" means many things. If you really can't sustain the risk that your bag might arrive a day late or that you might need to pay for a meal here and there, then you need a comprehensive policy which covers everything which could go wrong on a trip. Those tend not to be worth the money.

But, you should think about health care costs and medical evacuation. Some countries will not admit you without proof of coverage and in others, the standard may be that you pay cash and then submit to insurance on your return. Medical evacuation by air ambulance from Europe to the US can easily cost $120K. And, what about a companion who needs to stay and help out or someone who can't fly for a month but just needs a hotel?

The problem with many of the posts here is that they are generic and do not address any specific issue.