Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Travel Insurance for Luxury Travelers

Travel Insurance for Luxury Travelers

Old Jan 20, 2018, 12:30 am

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
We buy travel insurance for trips where we have a lot of upfront high cost non refundable costs. E.g. Africa, Antarctica Cruise, other trips with a high number of high price non refundable nights. Because we still work in a very crazy environment, we tend to travel during peak times as that is when the business is slower - not my ideal , but I choose it given the business. Therefore we need to book in advance and when it warrants I buy travel insurance from Travelex or Travel Select. Both have 21 day pre existing condition waivers which we abide by as have elderly parents and don't want any trouble should we want to make a claim. ( luckily not yet knock on wood). For the casual one or two week trip to Europe for example with a city hotel and a couple of non refundable hotels or even a non refundable week in Mexico ( Kat W we also went to Casa que Canta for years) I would not buy. But for a big Africa trip we would definitely buy. Just depends on the trip and the overall costs.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 4:45 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KatW
There are more than few scenarios in which travel cannot be booked last minute. Some high-end resorts book up a year or more in advance, e.g., The Awanee, Wildlife lodges, holiday seasons, etc. Then there are some of us who are wedded to particular rooms or suites in upscale hotels/resorts. Many Americans have limited vacation opportunities which also can force booking well inadvance...

​​​​

I don't know about the ones where you aren't specific and you could well be right on those.

But I've stayed at the Ahwanee (currently called the Majestic Yosemite, I believe) several times and have never booked more than two weeks in advance, often less.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Wish we had something like this in the US!

Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
As someone who takes photography tours that involve hiking and being in somewhat remote environments, I've found that the coverage from the Austrian Alpine Club (UK) is very reasonably priced and cover a lot of the medical treatment and evacuation that I might need.

For the membership fee one gets up to 25,000 Euro of rescue costs, repatriation cost with no limit, medical treatment up to 10,000 Euro as well as third party liability up to 3M Euro. All of that for the 52 Pounds (or 40 for Seniors) for a year makes a lot of sense. https://aacuk.org.uk/p-mountain-rescue-search-insurance
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by estnet
Wish we had something like this in the US!
It's open for everyone - I'm US based and have it. There are some limitation on the local coverage though.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:07 am
Suspended

As someone who takes photography tours that involve hiking and being in somewhat remote environments, I've found that the coverage from the Austrian Alpine Club (UK) is very reasonably priced and cover a lot of the medical treatment and evacuation that I might need.

For the membership fee one gets up to 25,000 Euro of rescue costs, repatriation cost with no limit, medical treatment up to 10,000 Euro as well as third party liability up to 3M Euro. All of that for the 52 Pounds (or 40 for Seniors) for a year makes a lot of sense. https://aacuk.org.uk/p-mountain-rescue-search-insurance
It's interesting to see how people's view of what is let's say 'decent coverage' differs. For example, your 10,000 Euro medical treatment coverage will not get you far in a USA hospital. An average hospital stay is around $2,000 per day and that's without any actual treatment/operations. I would not suggest you plan any hiking holidays in say the Grand Canyon with only that coverage.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...50-states.html

If you broke a leg hiking that required surgery, you can then add the cost for that to your daily hospital cost. That might be $15-30k.
Cost of a Broken Leg - Consumer Information

My point is that I think in many cases people look at medical coverage in terms of what they are familiar with at home. To choose medical coverage, you need to look at what it will cost in the place you plan to visit and then make sure your insurance will cover all costs. Your $12k coverage is a drop in the ocean of possible costs MD/DC Flyer.

How a US based traveller as you are, would think that coverage was enough, amazes me. I as a Canadian travelling in the USA would not do so without medical coverage that included unlimited emergency coverage. Here is an example and it is not expensive.
https://www.rbcinsurance.com/traveli...gle-trip-e.pdf

Last edited by dulciusexasperis; Jan 20, 2018 at 10:16 am
Old Jan 20, 2018, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
It's interesting to see how people's view of what is let's say 'decent coverage' differs. For example, your 10,000 Euro medical treatment coverage will not get you far in a USA hospital. An average hospital stay is around $2,000 per day and that's without any actual treatment/operations. I would not suggest you plan any hiking holidays in say the Grand Canyon with only that coverage.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...50-states.html

If you broke a leg hiking that required surgery, you can then add the cost for that to your daily hospital cost. That might be $15-30k.
Cost of a Broken Leg - Consumer Information

My point is that I think in many cases people look at medical coverage in terms of what they are familiar with at home. To choose medical coverage, you need to look at what it will cost in the place you plan to visit and then make sure your insurance will cover all costs. Your $12k coverage is a drop in the ocean of possible costs MD/DC Flyer.

How a US based traveller as you are, would think that coverage was enough, amazes me. I as a Canadian travelling in the USA would not do so without medical coverage that included unlimited emergency coverage. Here is an example and it is not expensive.
Assumptions are what make your analysis wrong.

This particular insurance is mainly for travel outside of the USA and for evacuation from remote locations to the nearest medical center (as well as getting one home). It is not for routine medical care - that is what my normal health insurance is there for. In addition your prices are only good for the US. Go to Europe (for where I have this insurance) and the price gauging you see in the US is none existent. This insurance will more than cover my out of pocket expenses that my regular health insurance would not cover.

I have never implied that this insurance is end all and be all and all what one need. However, most insurance policies would not cover rescue and evacuation at that reasonable cost.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 4:30 pm
Suspended

My assumptions are correct. You base your assumption on the knowledge you as an American have of travel insurance and that is my only assumption. You think that coverage will be sufficient.

Let's say you are hiking in Spain. You lose your footing and take a fall. The result is a broken arm. Cough up 12.5k Euros ($15,300 USD). Your 10k Euro insurance, will come up short by 1.5K Euros and that is just for a broken arm. What if you do more damage than that and end up in hospital for an extended period of time and need more extensive surgery? You are going to come up short by a large amount.

The coverage you are talking about is actually decent Medical Evacuation insurance but it is lousy Medical Treatment coverage. The OP is not asking about just evacuation insurance, the OP is asking about medical treatment insurance. What is your answer to that? Nor is the OP the only person or nationality interested in this thread.

This is what you have a version of:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/everett.../#5053e5d34153

Depending on where you are in the world, an air ambulance flight to your home country can cost anywhere from $25k to $250k plus. That is indeed good cause to make sure you have coverage for that either as part of a comprehensive travel medical insurance policy or as a separate coverage such as you have.

My beef with your coverage is that it is fine for evacuation but not nearly enough for medical treatment coverage. You say, "It is not for routine medical care - that is what my normal health insurance is there for." What normal health insurance? What coverage does it give you outside of your home country?
Old Jan 21, 2018, 2:16 am

Programs: AA; Delta GM
I as a Canadian travelling in the USA would not do so without medical coverage that included unlimited emergency coverage. Here is an example and it is not expensive.

As a US citizen, I would love to have unlimited emergency coverage when I travel. The policy which you quote is only available to Canadians. Here in the States, we often have to take what we can get.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 2:52 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Thanks so much
It's open for everyone - I'm US based and have it. There are some limitation on the local coverage though.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph
As a US citizen, I would love to have unlimited emergency coverage when I travel. The policy which you quote is only available to Canadians. Here in the States, we often have to take what we can get.
Everyone in every country has to 'take what we can get'. However, everyone in every country is not always aware of what they can get. I find that many people are not aware of what is available and have preconceptions about such things that are not often correct.

For example, to get rescue/evacuation insurance you have lots of choices. https://www.google.ca/search?q=rescu...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Here is one evacuation example that applies to Canadians and Americans alike. https://www.airambulancecard.com/about-our-services/ I have no experience of this particular company and am not endorsing them in any way, I am just providing you with an example of what is available. Notice that they are not an insurance company. You buy a membership. Notice that the only requirement they have is that you be an inpatient in a hospital and you wish to be flown to another hospital that is more than 150 miles away.

For medical coverage, here is an example that will give you up to $1,000,000 in coverage. International Medical Insurance ? Travel Insurance Services

One medical coverage provider which is very popular for travellers from all over the world and that receives good reviews, is World Nomads. They are an Australian company. Here is a link to their site for US travellers: https://helpdesk.worldnomads.com/cus...ospitalisation

Don't assume limits on what is available to you that don't actually exist aquamarinesteph.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 2:08 pm

You say, "It is not for routine medical care - that is what my normal health insurance is there for." What normal health insurance? What coverage does it give you outside of your home country?
Treatment outside of the USA is considered "out of network" - so one has to cover 50% up to the maximum out of pocket costs (after deductuble and covering usual cost for the care etc' but that is just noise for this converation). Those vary by plan and get to several thousands dollars which would be covered by the 10,000 Euro stop gap. For most plans the maximum is around $7K for individuals (mine is less, but that is irrelavent for the discussion).

Also, I'm not sure where you get your information but outside of the USA - a cast for a broken arm will not cost $12.5K. (And yes I've seen the self-serving claims on the insurance companies pages about the 11,000 pound broken arm - but I did not see any substitution to that anywhere, and even if true it is the not the "norm" but the list of all the complications they have not mentioned).

All in all, when traveling outside of one own country one need to make choices of cost and benefit. Yes it is possible to get an insurance that will cover everything and anything but the cost would be unsustainable.

My goal in providing that information is to point out a cost sensitive option - not to start a debate on the merits of each and every health insurance policy that one can buy.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 6:21 pm

Also, I'm not sure where you get your information but outside of the USA - a cast for a broken arm will not cost $12.5K. (And yes I've seen the self-serving claims on the insurance companies pages about the 11,000 pound broken arm - but I did not see any substitution to that anywhere, and even if true it is the not the "norm" but the list of all the complications they have not mentioned).
This article, though a bit dated, gives an idea: World's most expensive medical care: Breaking a bone in the US could cost a year's wages | This is Money
And the price for medical services are fixed.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 6:48 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Is it axiomatic that whenever a thread takes off a squabble will be forthcoming? And, that's OK as long as posts remain civilized. A modest degree of snark is inevitable.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, for those referring to coverage "automatically" provided by AmExPlat and other cards, how exactly does that work? What sort of documentation is needed? How long is the process? How arduous or not is the process?

Even with specifically purchased travel insurance, applying for recompense often is a horror. Pay a gazillion dollars, then, if one has a claim, spend many hours substantiating same and negotiating the bureaucratic barriers ...

Last edited by KatW; Jan 21, 2018 at 7:45 pm
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:08 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
I don’t purchase extra coverage but do have some from credit cards and other insurance policies through work.

I don't think I’ve ever book a non refundable trip. But if I were going on a very pricey vacation, I’d probably consider it just for the peace of mind.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:40 am

When it comes to travel insurance, surely it depends on where you're travelling and what you're going to be doing when there? Possibly a long weekend in London doesn't warrant the level of insurance that, say, a white water rafting in some remote tributary of the Amazon does? The more remote you go and the more risky the trip, the more insurance matters.

The biggest risks I'd worry about are accidents and illness. Nobody plans to get hit by a car, or be bitten by a rabid dog or break a bone (or more) while on holiday, but it happens. Nobody plans to have heart attacks, or miscarry or get a bad case of dengue fever, but it happens. Should the worst happen to your partner, shipping dead bodies back home across the planet is neither easy nor cheap. I'd like to think that nobody plans crucial business meetings or important surgery (as the surgeon, not the patient) the day after coming back from a remote destination without a care about what happens if they can't get back home in time. And the minute you plan to travel anywhere that requires seaplanes, turbo prop planes or boats to get to your luxury resort, you're at the mercy of the weather gods whether you'll make it back on time for your international flight home. Never mind the minor inconveniences of pickpockets or mugging, or having expensive electronics fall over the side of a boat by accident.

The question isn't really whether we need insurance. It's where you can find insurance that covers all of these eventualities without costing the same as the entire holiday itself.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.