Community
Wiki Posts
Search

​​​​​​​British Columbia Wildlife Lodges

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2018, 1:59 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Plus, three nights in London ahead of train to Edinburgh, and three nights in Iceland after cruise. Here is cruise itinerary: https://www.windstarcruises.com/crui...d=286&sid=1587
Old Feb 14, 2018, 3:31 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
The new trips sound lovely, Kat. Can’t wait to hear more about them!
KatW and bhrubin like this.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by KatW
I must learn to temper my enthusiasm Here's hoping someone else books a couple of these lodges and travels soon for the benefit of all here who yearn to experience these very special places.

We have had to cancel our plans as Jim's neurologist would not endorse the trip.
Sorry to hear this, Kat. I will take it upon myself to find every criticism possible at Clayoquot so you do not feel you're missing out.
KatW, SanDiego1K, Buster and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 1:43 am
Community Director Emerita

Who has stayed at Khutzamateen and what did you think? How did it compare with properties mentioned above? How difficult is it to reach? How was the grizzly sighting?

https://www.khutzlodge.com/
Old Jan 28, 2020, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Who has stayed at Khutzamateen and what did you think? How did it compare with properties mentioned above? How difficult is it to reach? How was the grizzly sighting?

https://www.khutzlodge.com/
I have stayed at Khutzamateen and loved it. The only BC property I can compare it to from experience is Sonora Island, I will not go to Clayoqout Resot personally as the experience/price is not justifiable for an outdoor oriented person who lives in BC imho. I may eventually splurge on Nimmo bay which looks stunning, and likely Tweedsmuir also. Sonora Island is a more typical luxury property, with recreational activities, kids rooms, spa, hot tub etc huge number of staff etc. We enjoyed our stay there as well although other have complained that the rooms could be better appointed. They have fishing and bear watching activities but not nearly as bear oriented as Khutz. Both are in beautiful settings, Khutz being more remote and more isolated. It is certainly a very special place. They only have a few staff, who were warm and excellent as was the food, but its not going to be a luxury pampered experience like an Aman. The bear watching is phenomenal. If i could only go to one I would certainly chose Khutzamateen.

You reach it by flying into Prince Rupert (or Terrace) and then float plane to the lodge. Usually an overnight in Rupert before the start.
KatW and SanDiego1K like this.

Last edited by tdiddy23; Jan 28, 2020 at 3:06 pm
Old Jan 28, 2020, 3:04 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Dying to go to Tweedsmuir.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 8:31 pm

Tweedsmuir I'd like to visit because there you can see the bears salmon feeding (sept). Plus I'd really like to do a couple hikes in the provincial park nearby. The early summer when they are in vegetarian mode + mating season + new cubs I would think khutz lodge would be better so depends on when you are visiting. Khutz lodge is a bit more isolated/remote and smaller if that is appealing (Tweedsmuir you can fly straight to Bella coola from Van so get one extra day, on the other hand there is no scenic flight included so fairly significant cost difference). Khutz lodge doesn't have a slick website/PR machine behind them like some of the other lodges in BC but still spectacular, I posted a bit more detail and some pics here

Sonora or Nimmo bay also do fall grizzly bear watching if tweedsmuir is full, it would involve some further transport instead of Tweedsmuir/Khutz where they are right there. Lodges on Vancouver island will just have black bears. We didn't bother with it at Sonora as was out of season.
SanDiego1K and FlyerEC like this.

Last edited by tdiddy23; Jan 28, 2020 at 8:46 pm
Old Jan 29, 2020, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by tdiddy23
Tweedsmuir I'd like to visit because there you can see the bears salmon feeding (sept). Plus I'd really like to do a couple hikes in the provincial park nearby. The early summer when they are in vegetarian mode + mating season + new cubs I would think khutz lodge would be better so depends on when you are visiting. Khutz lodge is a bit more isolated/remote and smaller if that is appealing
This is enormously helpful. We are now thinking we will do a trip this year to see summer feeding/mating/cubs and a trip next year to a different area to see salmon fishing.

Neighbors loved their trip to Knight Inlet Lodge for seeing the bears salmon fishing. They had constant amazing bear sightings, including having to stay in a tree platform for an extended period of time with bears beneath. Are you familiar with it? Of the places that focus on bears fishing, where have you gone and what do you prefer?

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jan 29, 2020 at 8:33 am
Old Jan 29, 2020, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by KatW
Dying to go to Tweedsmuir.
Thanks for putting this on my radar!
Old Jan 29, 2020, 10:44 am

This is enormously helpful. We are now thinking we will do a trip this year to see summer feeding/mating/cubs and a trip next year to a different area to see salmon fishing.

Neighbors loved their trip to Knight Inlet Lodge for seeing the bears salmon fishing. They had constant amazing bear sightings, including having to stay in a tree platform for an extended period of time with bears beneath. Are you familiar with it? Of the places that focus on bears fishing, where have you gone and what do you prefer?
I have heard of Knight Inlet, generally favorably. I think it has been around for some time and there is a good bear population there. I think it is a bit of a bigger operation, and i believe that there are a number of other operators that do day trips and or have lodges further down the inlet. There is also great bear lodge that operators on another inlet north of knight inlet that involves a float plane, seems they did a bunch of Instagram promotion recently. i haven't done thorough research or personally been to any of them but will do another trip probably 2021 to see salmon feeding, was leaning towards Tweedsmuir because i wanted to check out some other nearby areas (have already been to Campbell river) and its easier to get to; if you've never been to Vancouver island and are planning a trip there anyway logistics of the others may make more sense, there are some orca opputunities in georgia straight that could be combined with grizzlies out of telegraph cove. I think the key thing would be knowing the approximate bear density for the inlets in question; but if you hit peak salmon season i think it will be a good experience anywhere.

There is also a spirit bear lodge, geared after the spirit bear but much harder to spot i've heard
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 1:01 pm

Knight Inlet Lodge is sold out for September and early October, the salmon fishing season. They open booking for 2021 in mid-June of this year and say it books up quickly.

I've also sent a query to Tweedsmuir.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 1:10 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Tweedsmuir is another that books up quickly during bear season. Two years ago in January I tried to book for September and it was fully committed.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 11:43 am

We are now thinking we will do a trip this year to see summer feeding/mating/cubs and a trip next year to a different area to see salmon fishing.
We have booked Khutzymateen for this July to see grizzlies. It isn't luxury. It has shared bathrooms. But it only takes 10 people and it sounds like it offers superb sightings. I continue to research where to go in September 2021 to see grizzlies fishing for salmon.
KatW and tdiddy23 like this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 1:36 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Delighted you are going and look forward to your report.

Tweedsmuir appeals to me, in addtion to the bears and salmon, for its inland location with riparian habitat, fields, some easy hikes, etc. Able yo walk out the door and engage nature without having to board a float plane, helicoptor, boat, kayak, zodiac, etc.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 2:32 pm

Looking forward to hear what you think

I think i remember June being perhaps better than July but I would defer to whatever they 've told you

Last edited by tdiddy23; Jan 31, 2020 at 3:10 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.