Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virtuoso - non-renewals for 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2018, 7:41 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Virtuoso - non-renewals for 2018

The following hotels are no longer part of Virtuoso for 2018. (Note: I have left off the list several hotels for which amenities are available through other Preferred Partner programs). Some of these hotels declined to renew while others were dropped by Virtuoso for various issues.

Asia & Pacific
Hayman Island
Jumeirah Dhevanafushi
Saffire Freycinet
Amanusa

Bermuda & Caribbean
Carlisle Bay
W Hotel Vieques Island - Hotel is closed indefinately due to severe structural damage brought on by Hurricane Maria

Canada & United States
Hotel Plaza Athenee, New York
La Valencia Hotel
The American Club Resort
Old Edwards Inn & Spa

Mexico, Central & South America
La Lancha

Europe
The Lancaster
Le Meridien Lav, Split
Amanruya
Clinique La Prairie
Old Jan 12, 2018, 8:02 am

Amanusa will cease to exist. I believe ‘Ruya also is unlikely to reopen under Aman management.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Amanusa will cease to exist. I believe ‘Ruya also is unlikely to reopen under Aman management.
I think there was a thread here on Ruya and its potential re-opening, but we had some conflicting info. Aman website says resort remains closed for the whole year (2018) for 'refurbishment', which is a lousy excuse... considering it's virtually new. Even if they planned to build the Aman Spa, which I doubt.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 8:28 am

Saffire Freycinet is interesting. With us going in March and my natural inclination to constantly move dates around, we did not have a massive issue in ever doing so even though they only have 20 rooms. On the other hand, Southern Ocean Lodge (21 rooms), their main competitor, is almost impossible to get into and we were restricted to 3 days at the beginning of April - almost a month after our requested dates. I guess Saffire still somehow felt Virtuoso wasn't worth their while.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by scented
I think there was a thread here on Ruya and its potential re-opening, but we had some conflicting info. Aman website says resort remains closed for the whole year (2018) for 'refurbishment', which is a lousy excuse... considering it's virtually new. Even if they planned to build the Aman Spa, which I doubt.
I’ll believe it when I see it. It has really been plagued with problems it seems, which is a shame because it had potential. Problems in the region can’t have helped, even though Bodrum itself has not been directly affected.

I got a laugh out of the “refurbishment” excuse - it seems not long ago that it first opened.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:12 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the La Valencia hotel being dropped refers to the one in La Jolla, California, it should have been dropped years ago. Been an overpriced dump for a long time.
obscure2k and bhrubin like this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by MacMyDay
Saffire Freycinet is interesting. With us going in March and my natural inclination to constantly move dates around, we did not have a massive issue in ever doing so even though they only have 20 rooms. On the other hand, Southern Ocean Lodge (21 rooms), their main competitor, is almost impossible to get into and we were restricted to 3 days at the beginning of April - almost a month after our requested dates. I guess Saffire still somehow felt Virtuoso wasn't worth their while.
I don't recall the exact amenities that Virtuoso provided for Saffire, but I negotiated our stay directly with the hotel and they quite readily offered a confirmed upgrade and free massages. Breakfast or F&B credit is kind of a moot point as it is all-inclusive to begin with. They also had no problem with our early check-in.
MikeFromTokyo, bhrubin and nmuva98 like this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:38 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by jiaotze
I don't recall the exact amenities that Virtuoso provided for Saffire, but I negotiated our stay directly with the hotel and they quite readily offered a confirmed upgrade and free massages. Breakfast or F&B credit is kind of a moot point as it is all-inclusive to begin with.
How many nights did you stay?
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
How many nights did you stay?
We stayed two evenings.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:15 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by DavidO
Le Meridien Lav, Split
that's a shame. I stayed here once and loved the property, especially with the $100 F&B credit from virtuoso
Epicura likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by jiaotze
I don't recall the exact amenities that Virtuoso provided for Saffire, but I negotiated our stay directly with the hotel and they quite readily offered a confirmed upgrade and free massages. Breakfast or F&B credit is kind of a moot point as it is all-inclusive to begin with. They also had no problem with our early check-in.
My point was more that Virtuoso is an advertising platform for them, yet even though they are not fully booked during their peak periods, they still consider no need for it. Being part of somewhere like AMEX/Virtuoso is far more than just offering benefits to the clients, it is getting their name out to people who would never have known about it in the first place. I was introduced to properties like La Reserve Ramatuelle from AMEX posting me some targeted brochure, as I was with Aman (although some of that was a combination of The Connaught too). Even all-inclusive, ultra luxury properties like Laucala are part of AMEX/LHW/Virtuoso, so they clearly see some benefit to it. I just find it interesting that for Saffire it was clearly more cost effective to no longer be a member.
MikeFromTokyo and Epicura like this.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Is there a consolidated list of Virtuoso hotels somewhere?
Old Jan 13, 2018, 7:35 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Originally Posted by Isochronous
Is there a consolidated list of Virtuoso hotels somewhere?
Yes, check out this... https://www.virtuoso.com/hotels
Old Jan 13, 2018, 11:48 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by MacMyDay
Saffire Freycinet is interesting. I guess Saffire still somehow felt Virtuoso wasn't worth their while.
Saffire is a big player and claims to represent THE luxury in Tasmania. Now they even offer private flights within Tasmania and even from Melbourne. They also left the Relais & Châteaux (many top properties in Australia seem to believe that the "Luxury Lodges of Australia" are enough.

I had a pleasant stay a couple of years ago at Saffire, but it was somewhat "synthetic" and also the style of guests was not to my liking. Would not return and rather like the Baillie's style (they had a project in Tasmania).

Virtuoso guests may still stay at the Islington Hotel when visiting Tasmania, certainly not luxury, but rather a very very nice guesthouse in Hobart. As an independent traveler knowing exactly what I want and also thanks to the knowledge from FTalk, I will continue to book directly and get the best conditions in all cases.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 3:54 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by pewpew
that's a shame. I stayed here once and loved the property, especially with the $100 F&B credit from virtuoso
I've also heard wonderful things about the Le Meridien Lav in Split.

I assume this Virtuoso drop is an artifact of the Marriott-Starwood merger and new corporate policy. This has to be one of the very few (or only?) Le Meridien properties in the Virtuoso network!
Epicura likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.