Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Suggestions in November

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Travel Suggestions in November

I'm in need of some help!
My wife is turning 50 this year in December...that's not the part I need help with! :-)
We are trying to plan a 7-10 day trip somewhere special to celebrate in late November around the American Thanksgiving Holiday. She would like to go someplace warm, and some place "special/unique".
One other obstacle is that she wants to do a trip including our kids who will be 12/13, both boys...and her parents. Both of them are 77, but fairly healthy.
Original thoughts were Bali (it's the rainy season :-( ), Australian/New Zealand Cruise, or perhaps French Polynesia.
Would appreciate thoughts and suggestions.

Moderators: If this is the wrong place, please relocate this thread.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 1:08 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Avios
Have you thought of an African safari holiday - South Africa / Kenya / Tanzania. Perhaps with a beach element too Zanzibar / Seychelles / Mozambique / Mauritius.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by bsdstone
Original thoughts were Bali (it's the rainy season :-( ), Australian/New Zealand Cruise, or perhaps French Polynesia.
Would appreciate thoughts and suggestions.
All a bit far for a 7 day trip. Where are you located?
Old Jan 9, 2018, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
We are located in the Chicago (ORD) area.
We did a safari last summer in South Africa and going back is a possiblity...didn't think about Maruitius, that might be a good call. We were thinking Capetown/Victoria falls.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 1:26 pm

Where you are located is an important factor for a 7 day trip. If US east coast, I would recommend Costa Rica, Philippines (Amanpulo!), or maybe Thailand? We just came back from Thailand and Japan for our honeymoon. We left on Nov 11 and traveled until December 3, so your dates match ours. Thailand was gorgeous and we didn't get any rain while we were in Phuket (Amanpuri). Costa Rica has rain in November, but by the end of the month, it's mostly dry. Regardless, rains in Costa Rica are more of the 30 minute downpour then sun variety. For Costa Rica I like the Playa Hermosa area, but the Conchal area is nice as well. Again depends where you're coming from, but Australia/NZ is a long trek for 7/10. Factoring travel, you're really looking at 3/6 days from East Coast and 5/8 for West Coast.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
What about South America? Pretty easy flight connections to Brazil / Argentina / Chile.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 3:39 pm

-- --

Last edited by QPRfan; Nov 6, 2018 at 2:03 pm
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:04 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't been to all of them but the weather should be still good (although not hot) at Amangiri in Utah or the health resorts (Canyon Ranch, Miraval) in Tucson. Easy to get to, no superlong flights.
bsdstone likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For warm rather than hot weather, I've done well with Japan and especially Tokyo at this time of year. IME it's been generally sunny days with highs in the 50s and more importantly the leaves are lovely, especially around the Imperial Palace.

Another idea would be Barcelona. Alternatively Lisbon with a few days along the coast for more sun and warmth, although I would highly suggest a rental car if you plan to leave the city.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For warm rather than hot weather, I've done well with Japan and especially Tokyo at this time of year. IME it's been generally sunny days with highs in the 50s and more importantly the leaves are lovely, especially around the Imperial Palace.

Another idea would be Barcelona. Alternatively Lisbon with a few days along the coast for more sun and warmth, although I would highly suggest a rental car if you plan to leave the city.
I was thinking Barcelona, with maybe the Canary Islands for a few days...that might be a possibility. Good suggestion!
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Wife is warming to the idea of Mauritius for 5-7 days and 3-4 days in the Bush somewhere in Africa.

I don't know a lot about Mauritius, but the St. Regis looks very nice...I'll have to do some research!
Old Jan 9, 2018, 8:09 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Wife is warming to the idea of Mauritius for 5-7 days and 3-4 days in the Bush somewhere in Africa.

I don't know a lot about Mauritius, but the St. Regis looks very nice...I'll have to do some research!
That would involve awfully long distances--first to reach Africa, and then even getting to/from Mauritius. That's a lot of flying for 7-10 days as originally stipulated. You also are going to lose days due to transit, and maybe even a night or two due to flight schedule peculiarities in Southern Africa (via JNB!).

Also, while I'm a big fan of StR, there are many in this Luxury Forum that don't speak as highly of the StR Mauritius. So read up!

I wouldn't recommend that kind of trip for less than 15 days. We did Rwanda, Madagascar, and Cape Town in 2015 and that involved 3 weeks--and that was pushing the envelope with transit nights, long flights between destinations, etc.

I think this idea is a mistake. If I were you, especially traveling with such a large party, I'd try Mexico or Bora Bora or Fiji...and just relax in 1 or 2 places.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
That would involve awfully long distances--first to reach Africa, and then even getting to/from Mauritius. That's a lot of flying for 7-10 days as originally stipulated. You also are going to lose days due to transit, and maybe even a night or two due to flight schedule peculiarities in Southern Africa (via JNB!).

Also, while I'm a big fan of StR, there are many in this Luxury Forum that don't speak as highly of the StR Mauritius. So read up!

I wouldn't recommend that kind of trip for less than 15 days. We did Rwanda, Madagascar, and Cape Town in 2015 and that involved 3 weeks--and that was pushing the envelope with transit nights, long flights between destinations, etc.

I think this idea is a mistake. If I were you, especially traveling with such a large party, I'd try Mexico or Bora Bora or Fiji...and just relax in 1 or 2 places.
This. Way too short an amount of time for that trip. From Chicago, I second Latin America or Caribbean, and again reiterate Costa Rica. You get the beach resort, you can do the whole eco-tourism ziplining with the kids, and there are some decent hot spring resorts by Mt. Arenal (active volcano) for the older crowd. I went to Tabacon spa when it had just opened and it was nice, but I honestly haven't been in years so can't vouch for it again. You get more bang for your buck there as well, and the people are great. Pura Vida!
Old Jan 10, 2018, 4:51 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Exec, CITI Prestige, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold and all ever changing
Originally Posted by Anlun
This. Way too short an amount of time for that trip. From Chicago, I second Latin America or Caribbean, and again reiterate Costa Rica. You get the beach resort, you can do the whole eco-tourism ziplining with the kids, and there are some decent hot spring resorts by Mt. Arenal (active volcano) for the older crowd. I went to Tabacon spa when it had just opened and it was nice, but I honestly haven't been in years so can't vouch for it again. You get more bang for your buck there as well, and the people are great. Pura Vida!
I totally agree. We (along with our daughter) actually are going to S Africa in March for a safari from Chicago via Hong Kong (will be there for 5 days) to break up the journey. Even if you fly direct it would be realistically two days to recover including flight (especially for the kids). also note that the journey from Johannesburg/Cape Town to Mauritius does involve another flight and most likely you will arrive to Mauritius in the early evening (another day gone). This is one of the farthest journeys from Chicago and 7 days would be too short (especially with kids).

The suggestion for Latin America would be my bet. The service/food there trump the Caribbean imo. You have the amazing resorts in Los Cabos (Ventanas, Esperanza, Pedegral and Chinelo to name some); Nicaragua you have Mukul; Costa Rica you have several but my absolute fav there would be Hacienda Altagracia (ex. Aman GM); and then you have the resorts in Rivera Maya, Mexico where tons to do along with the Mayan ruins. If you have been to any of these, you will know that they can compare with the best and there are lots of options of being as busy or as relaxed as your family wants.

Last edited by mumum17; Jan 10, 2018 at 4:58 am
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

many here in north america travel outside north america for reason(s)

take a look at seychelles. budget factors in hotel/room recommendation

nicaragua / mukul also has nekupe with 4 hotel room residencia villa

caribbean does have more smaller properties vs mexico etc

awasi atacama seems cold in morning (similar in US deserts?)

some place "special/unique"
Bali (it's the rainy season :-( ), Australian/New Zealand
some here likely still recommend amanjiwo (and amankila)
many top options in NZ, AU has saffire (if baillies downhill)

re xmas/nye, amansara siem reap may continue temple dinner
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxu...l#post27720272
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxu...l#post29234485

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 10, 2018 at 8:35 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.