Search

Recommendations for Hanoi and Saigon

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2018, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by ajca
My advice... skip the Park Hyatt when stopping over in Saigon after Amanoi... the PH will not fare too well in the comparison to that Jean-Michel Gathy wonderland in the national .
I have to disagree. Which hotel you book in Saigon is a question of taste but at least one night is mandatory in my eyes.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I recently completed a 4 night stay at the Metropole. I have no basis of comparison with other high end properties in Hanoi, but I would say that I loved the architecture and history of the property, and thought my room in the Opera Wing was perfectly appointed. Hotel staff, including the GM who I saw on several occasions making his daily rounds were all very professional, courteous and warm. I also enjoyed one lavish meal at Le Beaulieu which was certainly not cheap by Western standards but I guess when on vacation anything goes... The fitness center was also very well appointed and relatively spacious in my opinion. Cherry on top were the macarons they provided during turndown service - magnifique!

PSA: when you check-in, don't forget to book the bomb shelter tour!
Old Sep 15, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MarriotPlatinum (Lifetime Gold), IHG Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist :)) , Hilton Diamond
I think the Park Hyatt is a fine city hotel, and actually quite a bargain in the overall scheme of things. I've stayed there three times, both in suites upstairs, and in the terrace-by-the-pool rooms. Both are more than acceptable. However, we're talking Vietnam, which, while being a country in which I love to spend time, is not one where luxury is an established practice on a broader level. (I mention in passing, Park Hyatt Saigon is only a category four Hyatt, which tells you what Hyatt thinks of it and its surrounding city).

Its a quite pleasant hotel, I like the staff, all of whom (even the cleaners) seems to be fairly conversant in English. The pool is probably one of the nicest you'll find in Vietnam, and the breakfeast is steady, if not spectacular (agree on the young fresh coconuts, which are a highlight and something I've not really seen around in extensive Asian travel). However, this is not a Park Hyatt in Paris or Milan or even Tokyo, its a lower level of hotel, and again, while I have great affection for it and I often have returned, its more akin to a Hyatt Regency in a first world country.

All this said, its ground zero location, and a really good bar with bespoke drinks and pro bartenders, do also weigh in favor of giving it a try.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by globalentry57
quite a bahrain.
I remember my bill for one night was nearly 4 figure euro so wouldn't call it bargain.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 4:13 pm

A hotel I would not recommend for tonight: Sofitel‘s Legend Metropole Hotel
Old Feb 26, 2019, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scented
A hotel I would not recommend for tonight: Sofitel‘s Legend Metropole Hotel
blocked online >
tue/wed/thu/fri - melia
tue/wed/thu - sofitel
tue/wed - JW marriott

tue/thu/fri - IC westlake

straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/trumps-press-staff-moved-from-hanoi-hotel-that-may-house-north-koreas-kim
Melia informed guests on Monday that they would have to endure heightened security "due to the visit of a Head of State staying at our hotel".
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
The beast and other motorcade vehicles are parked here at the Marriott. Lots of security too.

Platinum upgrade to club level room.

Now there is a metal detector and x-ray setup at the entrance of the lobby and at least 50 heavily armed guards onsite.
scented likes this.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 26, 2019 at 5:09 pm
Old Feb 28, 2019, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
blocked online >
tue/wed/thu/fri - melia
tue/wed/thu - sofitel
tue/wed - JW marriott

tue/thu/fri - IC westlake

straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/trumps-press-staff-moved-from-hanoi-hotel-that-may-house-north-koreas-kim
Guess it's ended early now lol.
offerendum likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.