Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Worried about Four Seasons Hotels

Worried about Four Seasons Hotels

Old Jan 3, 18, 5:44 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 3
Worried about Four Seasons Hotels

I saw a video about Maui by Luxurytravelexpert and when he said Andaz Maui was the best hotel in Hawaii. I am wondering has the Four Seasons Brand not been able to maintain its standard and is it growing too quickly. Is the brand taking over old hotels or obtaining management contracts in place people want the brand. And since it was taken off the stock exchange and taken over by Bill Gates and the Saudi Prince has it become distant to where its customer base wants to go?
Madridlover is offline  
Old Jan 3, 18, 6:03 pm
  #2  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Northern California USA
Posts: 2,286
I would not worry much about the FS brand based on the points cited above. FS Hualalai long has had a checkered reputation. Some love it, others emphatically do not. Then there are a few who believe the notion of a true luxury hotel in Hawaii is oxymoronic. There is some evidence FS Lanai at Manele Bay may be top if the heap for the Islands although I dislike the inability to fly nonstop to Lanai from SFO.
0bsidian and bhrubin like this.
KatW is offline  
Old Jan 3, 18, 10:03 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: So. California
Programs: UA, SPG
Posts: 1,374
Having stayed at FS Lanai, FS Maui, FS Hualalai and unfortunately at the Andaz Maui I can say unequivocally that Andaz is not even remotely on par with any of these properties. The designers of the Andaz certainly created some wow factor for select photo opportunities, but the property, the amenities, and the service are 3-4 stars at best. I don't know who "Luxurytravelexpert " is but he clearly does not know luxury if in fact he represented the Andaz as you say he did. I'd like to see the video.
obscure2k likes this.
peter11 is offline  
Old Jan 4, 18, 2:05 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: BKK
Posts: 6,706
Originally Posted by peter11 View Post
Having stayed at FS Lanai, FS Maui, FS Hualalai and unfortunately at the Andaz Maui I can say unequivocally that Andaz is not even remotely on par with any of these properties. The designers of the Andaz certainly created some wow factor for select photo opportunities, but the property, the amenities, and the service are 3-4 stars at best. I don't know who "Luxurytravelexpert " is but he clearly does not know luxury if in fact he represented the Andaz as you say he did. I'd like to see the video.
I do not doubt any of this at all, but there is also the the subject of cost. When FS rates are at their highest, I donít think that they represent good value for what they offer. In such cases, Andaz and other properties could have the better cost performance ratio, delivering a good four star experience at considerably lower room rates.
MikeFromTokyo is offline  
Old Jan 4, 18, 2:15 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,033
Taking the company private was the best thing they could have done. Like you, I am worried about the many reflags but as long as they have so many great people who are so incredibly passionate about the company, I wouldnít worry all too much! I still love Four Seasons.

That said, I have never been a fan of FS on Hawaii... I think there is a thread on this. Lanai is world class, the rest not so much. Much like many American Four Seasons, their answer to upholding standards is to have a dedicated manager for high spending VIPs and thatís it... donít like their typical clientele and owners there. In a way, they have been a victim of their own success on these islands.
bhrubin likes this.
scented is offline  
Old Jan 4, 18, 2:41 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: So. California
Programs: UA, SPG
Posts: 1,374
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo View Post


I do not doubt any of this at all, but there is also the the subject of cost. When FS rates are at their highest, I donít think that they represent good value for what they offer. In such cases, Andaz and other properties could have the better cost performance ratio, delivering a good four star experience at considerably lower room rates.
I don't believe that the source the OP was referring to was a list of the top ten Hawaii hotels based on value. It was pretty unequivocal that it was supposed to be simply the best luxury hotels. I love a great value and agree that many Hawaii hotels are over priced. But the idea that the Andaz is, hands down, the best luxury hotel is preposterous. Here's the link to what I believe the OP was referring to: https://theluxurytravelexpert.com/20...rts-in-hawaii/
peter11 is offline  
Old Jan 4, 18, 3:22 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,033
I donít think we are the audience for these type of Ďmass-tigeí videos ó they are designed to get as many clicks on YouTube as possible and generate some bookings.
bhrubin and peter11 like this.
scented is offline  
Old Jan 4, 18, 6:11 am
  #8  
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Germany
Programs: Some
Posts: 8,893
Little confused about a thread like this - only because one claim one hotel is better than another itīs no reason to be worried about a whole brand.
bhrubin and peter11 like this.
offerendum is offline  
Old Jan 4, 18, 6:35 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: BKK
Posts: 6,706
Originally Posted by peter11 View Post
I don't believe that the source the OP was referring to was a list of the top ten Hawaii hotels based on value. It was pretty unequivocal that it was supposed to be simply the best luxury hotels. I love a great value and agree that many Hawaii hotels are over priced. But the idea that the Andaz is, hands down, the best luxury hotel is preposterous. Here's the link to what I believe the OP was referring to: https://theluxurytravelexpert.com/20...rts-in-hawaii/
I wonít disagree with that. But, what else is new? Surely, no one would expect some blogger to have the most objective and unbiased opinion. For all we know that source has some kind of incentive to publicize Andaz.
MikeFromTokyo is offline  
Old Jan 4, 18, 7:00 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,330
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo View Post
Surely, no one would expect some blogger to have the most objective and unbiased opinion.
Ahem
MacMyDay is offline  
Old Jan 4, 18, 7:37 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: BKK
Posts: 6,706
Originally Posted by MacMyDay View Post
Ahem
Not you, MacMyDay!
MacMyDay likes this.
MikeFromTokyo is offline  
Old Jan 4, 18, 11:23 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SNA
Posts: 401
On Maui I'd easily put both Montage and FS over Andaz (and I personally vastly prefer Montage over FS, but YMMV). The Andaz is a nice resort, but putting it at the top of that list tells me all I need to know about how much weight to put into the rest of the content...
Cardboard55 is offline  
Old Jan 4, 18, 11:40 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo View Post

I wonít disagree with that. But, what else is new? Surely, no one would expect some blogger to have the most objective and unbiased opinion. For all we know that source has some kind of incentive to publicize Andaz.
Agreed for me it always get a local guy's opinion. I always see a pattern in these top lists which makes to think there might some sort of incentives to the blogger or they are simply reusing content from other blogs.
jessicariddell is offline  
Old Jan 4, 18, 7:20 pm
  #14  
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southern California, USA
Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Posts: 8,754
Allow me to add to the laughs about this thread title based entirely on one blogger putting an Andaz above the FS properties in Hawaii. I think our OP is playing a joke on us or the last laugh may be with us?

First, one state or region does not an entire brand make. FS is probably growing too fast. And FS in Hawaii isn’t as strong as elsewhere. But the same can be said for many if not all of the hotels in Hawaii. While I think FS is overrated by most herein, FS still is an excellent luxury brand overall.

Second, there is no universe where the Andaz Maui is the most luxurious hotel in Hawaii. Period.

Third, rinse and repeat. Andaz Maui certainly is better than Miavana. Right, @MacMyDay?
offerendum and peter11 like this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Jan 5, 18 at 6:51 pm
bhrubin is offline  
Old Jan 5, 18, 12:39 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Francisco, CA
Programs: United 1K; AA Platinum
Posts: 322
I was legitimately shocked reading his review of Andaz Maui, especially as he visited FS Lanai on the same trip and seemed wowed by the hard product, service, and food (which he correctly described as the best breakfast buffet in all of Hawaii). How could he come from FS Lanai and overlook the Andaz' tiny rooms (non-suites clocking in at 300 sq ft. and change), minimalist and uncomfortable decor, low quality towels and sheets, and service more befitting a Hampton Inn? Yes, the entry walk and lobby are immensely Instagrammable, and minimalist decor can make for good photos, but that's about it.

Do I prefer Andaz Maui over FS Maui? I think "none of the above" is the appropriate response. At least at Andaz I can stay on points redemption, and it has pools where I can actually swim a lap instead of just lounge and splash.. FS Maui feels crowded like you're on a deck of a cruise ship, the number of vacationers packed into the pools and common areas always teetering on the brink of failure (it's a wonder the staff keep the place running as smoothly as they do, but it still feels too on the edge of potential chaos for my tastes), and the room product even post-renovation comes across as having done the bare minimum to impress the occasional traveler on the "trip of a lifetime" but not something that would ever measure up for those seasoned in luxury hotels, not even close. Can't fault the Four Seasons bedding or linens though.
bhrubin likes this.
blueheronNC is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: