Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Worried about Four Seasons Hotels

Worried about Four Seasons Hotels

Old Jan 4, 18, 11:41 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post

Can't fault the Four Seasons bedding or linens though.
Agreed. Four Seasons mattress toppers and beds are just heavenly.
Old Jan 5, 18, 3:25 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
We stayed at the Andaz when it first opened in a full Ocean Suite. There were only a handful of guests and our stay was incredible. The food is all local farm to table. We didn't expect FS service, we really just wanted to enjoy the beach and relax. The staff were incredibly young, but enthusiastic. Some surprised us by offering us extra cocktails, the Chefs made up special dishes they had invented etc but I wouldn't say they anticipated out needs.

We chose not to stay at the FS because like many in the US it just looked dark and tired. Having read of the hotels decline I would argue one only goes there for the hard product which was great at the time.
Old Jan 5, 18, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA, SPG
Was the Andaz a completely new build? The room we had in the wing to the left of the lobby had substandard ceilings and open/unfinished stairways. It totally looked like a conversion of some old marriott.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 5, 18, 4:46 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by peter11 View Post
Was the Andaz a completely new build? The room we had in the wing to the left of the lobby had substandard ceilings and open/unfinished stairways. It totally looked like a conversion of some old marriott.
Good call. It previously was the Renaissance Wailea Beach Resort before its $90 million refurbishment: https://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/...a-opening.html

And it already seems to be going downhill: http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....ne-andaz-maui/
peter11 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 18, 4:51 pm

Planning a trip to Hawaii in July and for whatever reason, I took it upon myself to make a spreadsheet of most of the major Hawaii hotels with their various ratings (AAA, Forbes, plus how they do in Conde Naste, Travel & Leisure etc.). I did this because it seemed like people's opinions were all over the map. I was right.
Old Jan 5, 18, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
FS Maui feels crowded like you're on a deck of a cruise ship, the number of vacationers packed into the pools and common areas always teetering on the brink of failure
I don't know if I'd go quite this far, but yes, this general feel is why we stay at Montage whenever we're in Maui now. I always say that FS seems like the kind of place you go to see and be seen (Vegas-like), and Montage is where you go when you don't want to be seen. Over in the same part of the island, we have never tried the RC. Mostly because we didn't love the location, and we like Montage enough that we don't feel the need to venture elsewhere....
Old Jan 5, 18, 10:07 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
Good call. It previously was the Renaissance Wailea Beach Resort before its $90 million refurbishment: https://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/...a-opening.html

And it already seems to be going downhill: The Sad Decline of the Andaz Maui - View from the Wing
Correct. But the point is we looked at all the options and this suited us well.
Old Jan 5, 18, 11:46 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by m0hamed View Post
Correct. But the point is we looked at all the options and this suited us well.
Iíve no issue with anyone wanting to find value by staying at the Andaz Maui. Iíve no issue with anyone preferring the Andaz to the FS there for a myriad of reasons. I just donít think the Andaz Maui is as luxurious (or generous) as when it first opened and you stayed, nor do I think itís remotely as luxurious as any of the various FS properties in Hawaii (except perhaps Oahu, which Iíve not seen).
Old Jan 6, 18, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Avis Chairman, Four Seasons Elite, HA Pualani Gold
Wow, having stayed at all the FS properties in Hawaii and the Andaz I can also attest to the sentiment that they are not even remotely comparable. My experience at Andaz was so disappointing on so many levels. It seemd there was no one working at the hotel who was over 25 years old! Literally! The staff was clueless when it came to delivering even a low level of luxury or courtesy. The rooms and especially the bathrooms are just plain weird and the food was mediocre at best. FS has nothing to worry about. Regarding Montage Kapalu, having stayed there many times I believe the service aspect is definitely improving but not on par with FS. The villas are great, however with room to spread out. It’s just unfortunate that the weather tends to be rainy most of the time.
peter11 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 18, 7:18 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ERtraveler View Post
Wow, having stayed at all the FS properties in Hawaii and the Andaz I can also attest to the sentiment that they are not even remotely comparable. My experience at Andaz was so disappointing on so many levels. It seemd there was no one working at the hotel who was over 25 years old! Literally! The staff was clueless when it came to delivering even a low level of luxury or courtesy. The rooms and especially the bathrooms are just plain weird and the food was mediocre at best.
New York was the same with luxury and courtesy. They also let them dress in normal clothes. Totally unprofessional in my eyes.
Old Jan 6, 18, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by ERtraveler View Post
Regarding Montage Kapalu, having stayed there many times I believe the service aspect is definitely improving but not on par with FS.

I can see that. My experience is that the staff are perhaps on average (not uniformly) more polished and experienced at the FS, but they also tend to be much busier due to the crowds, so it's harder to get things done. E.g. waiting in line at the concierge rather than walking up to the desk and having two of them helping because no one else is there. I will admit that I am a bit biased toward Montage in general, though, living near their Laguna Beach location and spending a lot of time there. Their version of "luxury" aligns very well with our tastes.

I kind of feel like the rain in Kapalua is like the rain in Seattle. People say it's always raining in both places, but that's not my actual experience. In all of our stays in Kapalua, we've never had more than a single day of rain per (roughly 1-week) stay. I realize there are longer stretches of rain, and it's definitely windier and rainier than Wailea, but it's not always raining by any stretch. (And from living in Seattle for over a decade, I can say the weather is not to my taste at all, but it's more that it's grey 9 months of the year than that it always rains ).

(Sorry for going so off-topic, but I'm not even clear on what the topic of this thread is at this point....)
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 12, 18, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Avis Chairman, Four Seasons Elite, HA Pualani Gold
Originally Posted by Cardboard55 View Post

In all of our stays in Kapalua, we've never had more than a single day of rain per (roughly 1-week) stay. I realize there are longer stretches of rain, and it's definitely windier and rainier than Wailea, but it's not always raining by any stretch.
Very funny, Iíve stayed in Kapalua at least 10 times and never had more than a day without rain at various times of the year. So itís a crap shoot with the odds heavily favoring rain!

I do agree with your experience at Montage Laguna Beach...lovely resort. Also agree that the Wailea FS is very busy... the crowded pool area is somewhat annoying but we prefer local beaches anyway.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: