FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IBobi
test wikipost
Print Wikipost

Amanresorts Thread 2018

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2018, 12:38 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by onlysuites
Since the Amankila is now closed during my visit I have booked a few days at Aman Villas. Can anyone suggest a hotel within 45mins drive from there that is comparable? Bulgari?
While we were doing our farewell stay at Nusa earlier this year and again while we were at Nusa Villas in June , we visited our Indonesian friends ’ Awarta Nusa Dua Luxury Villas & Spa nearby . It is only about 5 - 10 minutes drive away by Amans ‘ vehicle . The first time was a “ site visit “ to see the various villas & the second we actually dined - we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves . We did not see the hotel side .
it is a possible back up with the owners ‘ choosing & customising the interiors with no expense spared for their somewhat eclectic tastes . The meal too . The partners are somewhat gourmands so one can expect a certain level of cooking .
The downside is that , I gather , we had to walk some distance to the beach unlike at Nusa / Nusa Villas , we were driven to their little Beach Club .

Last edited by FlyerEC; Nov 1, 2018 at 12:48 pm
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:21 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
alila no longer well regarded here (more parties, more rooms)

soori is, now books 6BR soori residence as 1BR deluxe ocean pool villa
sooribali.com/img/site_images/pdfs/soori-bali-deluxe-ocean-pool-villa-fp.pdf
sooribali.com/img/site_images/pdfs/soori-bali-soori-residence-fp.pdf
sooribali.com/accommodation

legian also well regarded and top suites (not at club) have club benefits
Colleague was just at Soori. Sea can be a bit rough (compared to east coast/Amankila). Overall a very nice experience, fantastic hardware, really good service that could improve a wee bit.

However:
- Don't like or book the beach villas (less light and privacy though not usually too bad), go Ocean - even Mountain is preferable and at least different to the beach villas. Same for 2-bedroom beach villas.
- And yes, the multi-bedroom residences are now booked as single 'Deluxe' villas.
- The 10-bedroom residence is very, very disappointing. Pretty small pool all things considered. The rooms on the lower floor are too dark as not much light filters through (they're in a 'garden' kind of compound and don't really have any views).

Have heard similarly re: Alila Uluwatu - the product is still there. But more day trippers, more weddings and photo sessions (plus the monstrosity next door that Alila built), weddings sometimes with EDM music blaring in the afternoon/evening/night with guests not related to the wedding currently staying at the resort.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:32 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
Stayed at Soori Bali a couple of years ago and had a fantastic stay. Hard and soft product were both excellent.
F&B also very strong, with the tasting menu concept at breakfast a particular standout

We booked a two bedroom beach villa and whilst I agree that the bedroom was a little dark, I didn't really mind since we spent most of the time in our pool or by the beach.
Privacy was not an issue at all, there was very little footfall and the few people we saw were a good 30 metres away.

My only caveat would be that this visit took place when the hotel was still Alila branded, so I can't be certain that service standards haven't slipped.

My review:REVIEW - Soori Bali (formerly Alila Villas Soori)
onlysuites likes this.

Last edited by Jermyn; Nov 4, 2018 at 3:34 pm Reason: adding detail
Old Nov 2, 2018, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I stayed at the Soori in July and it was truly excellent. We opted for the Ocean Villas which I would certainly recommend per chinmoylad's comments above. On the back of this I figured I'd post my review I wrote elsewhere into the Soori Bali thread as to avoid confusion with the Amans on topic here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30386415-post6.html
onlysuites likes this.

Last edited by Fraser; Nov 2, 2018 at 2:56 pm
Old Nov 3, 2018, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

both alila were regarded well by amanjunkies
uluwatu management changed owner twice
soori dropped management, kept up service

kora >
paro 24
thimphu / bumthang 16
gangtey 8
punakha was 8 now 12 >
Eight of the suites are identical in design to those of Amankora Paro, with views across an orange orchard and rice terraces. The four Mo Chhu Suites are situated in a new building, and two feature separate 40m2 living areas. The suites can be combined to offer two 2-bedroom units.

An infinity pool provides views over rice terraces
ex aman mark swinton GM six senses bhutan open jan/mar >
thimphu - indoor pool - 28 bedroom incl 1/2/3BR villas
paro - indoor pool - 23 bedroom incl 1/2/3BR villas
punakha - outdoor pool - 22 bedroom incl 1/2/3BR POOL villas
bumthang / gangtey - 10 bedroom incl 2BR villa (odd not 3BR)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 3, 2018 at 5:51 pm
Old Nov 4, 2018, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Down to the last two. Soori (my choice) Bvlgari (the wifey) she is a fashion geek and just wants to experience it. Between these two?

I am asking here as I respect the opinion of people who like to stay at places like Aman.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by onlysuites
Down to the last two. Soori (my choice) Bvlgari (the wifey) she is a fashion geek and just wants to experience it. Between these two?

I am asking here as I respect the opinion of people who like to stay at places like Aman.
Bulgari is the direct opposite of Aman, in terms of style, service and culture... at least from the properties I experienced all over. I wouldn't really associate Bulgari with fashion either, they may attract part of the fashion crowd but essentially it's a darker, more glam and sexy version of a Ritz-Carlton. Also managed by R-C/Marriott.
onlysuites likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Deciding between Amanpulo and Amanjena for a mid-May trip. I know they are very different. Will do 4 nights of R&R combined with 4 nights in a city - Paris with Jena and either HK or Tokyo with Pulo. Any thoughts?
Old Nov 4, 2018, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by callmedtop
Deciding between Amanpulo and Amanjena for a mid-May trip. I know they are very different. Will do 4 nights of R&R combined with 4 nights in a city - Paris with Jena and either HK or Tokyo with Pulo. Any thoughts?
What about Manila with Pulo? I haven't been to either Pulo or Jena, but Manila + Pulo seems like a far more interesting trip than Paris + Jena.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 6:52 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MicSanToro
What about Manila with Pulo? I haven't been to either Pulo or Jena, but Manila + Pulo seems like a far more interesting trip than Paris + Jena.
Long ago, I lived in the Manila area for an entire year. It didn't have that much to offer tourists then and it didn't seem to have that much to offer on subsequent returns Maybe Hong Kong, would make a better combination.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 7:18 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Long ago, I lived in the Manila area for an entire year. It didn't have that much to offer tourists then and it didn't seem to have that much to offer on subsequent returns Maybe Hong Kong, would make a better combination.
Although personally , the HK ( TUH or MOHK ) or AmanTokyo ( overnights in Manila to & from Pulo ? ) with Pulo is preferred , weather wise may not be that great for Philippines by then .
Read as cool sand but “ possibility of sandflies “ on the lovely Pulo beach ( from personal experience ) .
.. Hopefully , the typhoon season will not start early next year either

Jena should be lovely then , and with Paris with potentially less hordes of noisy ( mass ) tours types .
Old Nov 4, 2018, 7:56 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Another option would be Seoul / Amanpulo.

Weather in May is okay at Amanpulo - the last of the good season unless typhoon season hits early.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Having never been to the Philippines, I'll take your word for it. I guess I was more commenting what I would do. I've been to Hong Kong dozens of times in my life, so I would opt for Manila as a brand new experience, to join with a new Aman (pulo). Don't get me wrong, Hong Kong is one of my favourite cities in the world, but I will almost always choose something new over something I love but have done lots. That being said, if OP hasn't been to Hong Kong, he should definitely go, as 4-5 days is perfect to explore the city.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
No shot we’re staying in Manila for more than the absolute minimum time required. No thank you.

Right now I’m thinking 4 nights Amanpulo + 4 nights Tokyo. Might require 1 night in MNL after Amanpulo. Normally I like to do city, then beach, but timing doesn’t work well for that in this circumstance. I hope wherever we stay in Tokyo - likely the RC - isn’t too much of a downgrade!

FWIW we have been to HK many times, while I’ve only been to Tokyo once. My wife lived there for a few years so she know the city well, but hasn’t been back since. We want to do Beijing more than anything but flights between Manila and Beijing are limited at best. I also can’t imagine going from the serenity of Amanpulo to the middle of Beijing (Tokyo/HK are a little more do-able in that sense).
Old Nov 4, 2018, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
If Seoul works timing / airline wise, I would highly recommend it. We spent 4 nights there a few years ago and had a great time. In my opinion, very underrated as a tourist destination (big city wise) and could be a change of pace from some of the other cities you are already familiar with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.