Last edit by: IBobi
test wikipost
Print Wikipost

Amanresorts Thread 2018

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2018, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

no agent here had impacted clients? curious if anyone hears from other agents, although can understand if re-accommodation details are not shared

found this from shane: "until November 19...supporting Amankora for 2 month in there high season...then back to Bali"

re ex-aman, seems 'VP' moved to chiva som

interesting >
Originally Posted by ajca
The water palace at Ujung, which was itself the inspiration for Amankila's iconic design with the layered infinity pools. Enjoy!

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 17, 2018 at 2:07 pm
Old Oct 15, 2018, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
I would certainly consider moving to Amanoi to be a great alternative. It does have a beach but it's not great, I would say the beach at Amanoi is really a bonus for a resort that's not sold as a "beach destination". The beach club is fabulous, however. The hard product is one of the best within Aman (IMHO) and Nicholas and Joy run a great team there. I've booked many families there with children and everyone loves it. Just know it's a long walk down to the beach but usually, you will just call for a cart to take you and bring you back. Enjoy!
Amanoi's Villa no. 1 would be nice compensation!
bhrubin, BESVISOR and MicSanToro like this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 11:57 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by Aventine
Amanoi's Villa no. 1 would be nice compensation!
Haha, indeed it would be!
Old Oct 17, 2018, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
If Aman had not touted its new skincare line and had not put it on their hotel website then I doubt if any of us would be mentioning it here, but given that Aman see their skincare as integral to their brand (and profits) then I think it is fair to discuss it here.

This seems to be a trend with some hotels. Heckfield Place also created its own Spa line - Wildsmith Skin - also on their website. I only mention it here because Heckfield's GM is ex-Aman Venice Olivia Richli.
Went through the skincare line on a recent stay and happy to note that all’s natural , not a PEG nor cocomidypropyl betain listed or insight . However I felt some / actually most were too rich and heavy for me .

a surprise were 3 natural perfumes not listed in their web store based on their grounding , purifying, nourishing concept .

Rather expensive but I am guessing it’s the quality of ingredients used.
They should have continued with the sodashi joint effort as they products felt lighter and less earthy in scent .
scented likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by bearbrick

Went through the skincare line on a recent stay and happy to note that all’s natural , not a PEG nor cocomidypropyl betain listed or insight . However I felt some / actually most were too rich and heavy for me .

a surprise were 3 natural perfumes not listed in their web store based on their grounding , purifying, nourishing concept .

Rather expensive but I am guessing it’s the quality of ingredients used.
They should have continued with the sodashi joint effort as they products felt lighter and less earthy in scent .
I, too, went through the ingredient lists, but unlike you did not find it all natural, by any means. OK, there were not the usual nasties, just some different nasties like Methyl 2-Octynoate!

When you use 100% natural producs on your skin, the fragrance can be washed off quite easily, but with the new Aman line, the fragrances stick, which is a sign that man-made chemicals have been used somewhere.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:19 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Does anybody know the current GM at Amankora and if so do you mind sharing an email? I am looking to connect with somebody I can have an actual dialogue with — ie not the coma patients on the general reservations team. PM would be appreciated.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:28 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by ridefar
Does anybody know the current GM at Amankora and if so do you mind sharing an email? I am looking to connect with somebody I can have an actual dialogue with — ie not the coma patients on the general reservations team. PM would be appreciated.
It is long serving John R
Shane L is currently there too assisting during high season .
Same sentiments about central res .

Check mail yet ?

Last edited by FlyerEC; Oct 18, 2018 at 7:48 pm
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:31 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by ridefar
I don't know who is GM but Shane Lewis is there currently.. he was the chef at Amankila when we were there and is excellent...

I don't have an email but most emails are of format first initial last name @ aman.com so I wold guess slewis

FDW
Old Oct 19, 2018, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

shane posted that he is there through nov 19th then back to bali, frankly might try to get there now, considering GM has always been mixed here

any guide recommendations? (either post or PM) DSI was very positive re the one he had

edit - curious where donald wong ends up, along with kent si and edisson, xavier moulin

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 19, 2018 at 9:02 am
Old Oct 19, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Apparently there is a new GM at Amantaka... don't know any other details.
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:01 am
formerly htang333

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by xray
Yeah, saw Donald post on his Instagram that he was leaving...sad!! He was a great GM to work with.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 9:08 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by xray
Yes , Tom R , not from within Aman ..

Very disappointing , that Donald is another who is no more in Aman .
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by onlysuites
Thank you and he did. Explained that its not a buy out and they are closing for 2 weeks to do some major improvements. Nothing you can do in this situation I guess and he was very apologetic. He is looking into the alternatives. Appreciate your help in this FlyerEC.
Since the Amankila is now closed during my visit I have booked a few days at Aman Villas. Can anyone suggest a hotel within 45mins drive from there that is comparable? Bulgari?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:20 am
formerly htang333

Originally Posted by onlysuites
Since the Amankila is now closed during my visit I have booked a few days at Aman Villas. Can anyone suggest a hotel within 45mins drive from there that is comparable? Bulgari?
I like the Alila Villas Uluwatu...GM is good and it's within 40 minutes of Amanusa.
onlysuites and bhrubin like this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

alila no longer well regarded here (more parties, more rooms)

soori is, now books two 6BR soori residence as 1BR deluxe ocean pool villa
sooribali.com/img/site_images/pdfs/soori-bali-deluxe-ocean-pool-villa-fp.pdf
sooribali.com/img/site_images/pdfs/soori-bali-soori-residence-fp.pdf
sooribali.com/accommodation
(these two are completely different from the rooms labeled villas)

legian also well regarded and top suites (not at club) have club benefits

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 3, 2018 at 9:27 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.