FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IBobi
test wikipost
Print Wikipost

Amanresorts Thread 2018

Old Oct 12, 2018, 4:46 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by Fc912
Has anyone been back to Amanusa (I guess officially the Aman Villas at Nusa Dua now...) since Aman ceased managing the main resort? Looking for a place for a family vacation next February and the rates are actually quite competitive and I've always wanted to try the residences. I know the location isn't ideal but the villas look pretty stunning. I have not visited Amanusa so I'm not sure how the villas are situated wrt the main resort and how much facilities they share, but I'm trying to determine if the service level is up to par and whether guests at the main resort will detract from the experience.

And perhaps a little off topic, but if anyone has good suggestions for anywhere else in SEA (within 4-5 hours flight from Taipei and Shanghai) that's suitable for a family of 6 with good villa style accommodation I'm open to suggestions. Important for the resort to have good spa facilities and room hardware. Also ideally want to avoid steep terrain / too many stairs, as grandma is coming and she is 85. A few of the options I'm considering: villas at the Como Shambhala Estate, Ani Villas Phuket, FS Namhai.
Have you already visited Amanpulo? I don't think the hard product is as good as something like Amanoi (too far and steep), but it's flat, you'll have golf carts to get around in (as with most villa resorts), and stunning location.
Fliar likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by FlyerEC

Well , my TR on the Amanusa Villas is above . The system does not allow villas as not hotel ?

You should stay , service definitely up there amongst Amans , some Nusa staff came over .
Was travelling with nonagenarian & octogenarian , not into steps either .

The butlers are proactive .

No spa , but you another suite can be used for massages .

Have you tried the Puri Villas ? The last phase ones all have elevators / lifts

The spa should be good , better ? with the modifications to Wellness Retreat .

No‘i , Pulo both have decent spas but not sure about the therapists these days .

Taka has a spa with own ‘ pool ‘ for you to use in private & the grounds is flat . I know you will be well taken care of here .

Getting to N’oi , Pulo or Taka is not that direct though .

Thanks!! Not sure how I missed that; will check it out. Were the massage therapists good? Did they offer anything beyond simple massages (eg scrubs, body masks...etc).

I’ve only stayed in regular pavilions at Puri and while the resort was good I wasn’t sold on the value proposition. I also did not think the service was that great but it was a few years back. Will look into the villas.

Considered all the other SEA Amans but ruled them out for different reasons (mostly due to long flights / transfers - Noi, Taka, Pulo, and others due to the set up of the resort and activities - Kila, Sara, Jiwo).
Old Oct 12, 2018, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Have you already visited Amanpulo? I don't think the hard product is as good as something like Amanoi (too far and steep), but it's flat, you'll have golf carts to get around in (as with most villa resorts), and stunning location.
It’s been on my list for a long time but the second flight rules it out...family wants to keep it to a single nonstop flight.
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 7:38 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Fc912

Thanks!! Not sure how I missed that; will check it out. Were the massage therapists good? Did they offer anything beyond simple massages (eg scrubs, body masks...etc).

I’ve only stayed in regular pavilions at Puri and while the resort was good I wasn’t sold on the value proposition. I also did not think the service was that great but it was a few years back. Will look into the villas.

Considered all the other SEA Amans but ruled them out for different reasons (mostly due to long flights / transfers - Noi, Taka, Pulo, and others due to the set up of the resort and activities - Kila, Sara, Jiwo).
The Nusa Villas therapists are those from Nusa who are called in when guests request spa treatments . In recent visits we haven’t requested anything beyond massages but they should be able to do scrubs , masks & such .
We really had a relaxing time & the chef / team can whip up just about anything available from the market .

It is usually more humid & warmer in February compared to mid year .
While the weather at Puri should be better then .

Best pm for details .
Old Oct 12, 2018, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

amanoi does have the residence behind beach club, although not sure if renters are allowed to drive the buggies that come with residences there or not

como shambhala - "residences"
FS nam hai has beachfront (stairs)
iniala is better bet than ani

amandari if considering amanusa (both?)
aman bali - talk to ian (recipes from shane?)
soori has beachfront , area not developed yet
alila uluwatu may soon earn hyatt points
if any trisara residence works, can book that one
some here like rayavadee, kind of different

+ chiang mai - dhara dhevi (2 or 6 BR) and these >
fourseasons.com/chiangmai/accommodations/private_residences/three_bedroom_residence_villa/
fourseasons.com/chiangmai/accommodations/private_residences/four_bedroom_residence_villa/

? amanyangyun is outside shanghai

(just noticed kerry hill did lalu qingdao, has 3BRs)

are more aman doing semi dynamic rates ?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 13, 2018 at 3:37 pm
Old Oct 14, 2018, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Need some advice. Was booked into Amankila but got a email to say they are shut the week I am visiting. No reason given why. They are asking me to move to one of the two other Aman's. Quite intrigued by Aman Villas but here they are saying that I will get one room but "might" share the building with other guests. What exactly does this mean? I see they have various 2,3,4 and Villas types. So if we get placed in a 2 bed Villas isn't that kind of weird sharing it with another family?
Old Oct 14, 2018, 4:48 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by onlysuites
Need some advice. Was booked into Amankila but got a email to say they are shut the week I am visiting. No reason given why. They are asking me to move to one of the two other Aman's. Quite intrigued by Aman Villas but here they are saying that I will get one room but "might" share the building with other guests. What exactly does this mean? I see they have various 2,3,4 and Villas types. So if we get placed in a 2 bed Villas isn't that kind of weird sharing it with another family?
Not to worry
You may need to share the large pool though

Meals can be enjoyed wherever you please , as with all Amans . Each villa has at least one dining area . The entire second level of a main building is a rather expansive living area that has a separate part with a “ bar “ & dining space .
Look at some of the photos I posted .
Can possibly add more to the TR if I figure out how .

Villa owners decide how many of their suites can be used by Aman guests who decide to stay at a Nusa Villa , the number of suites available are then reflected as we see . The villa can potentially have 6 suites or more but only for owners ‘ stay .

Do pm me if you have questions

Last edited by FlyerEC; Oct 18, 2018 at 8:58 am
Old Oct 14, 2018, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for that PM sent.

Since Amankila is closed which is the next best Aman to stay at in Bali?
Old Oct 14, 2018, 6:58 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Amankila closed? I hope that they didn't get a buyout and are trying to shift you some place else? How far into the future is this....

Amankila is the star of the Amans in Indonesia. I wouldn't recommend Amandari because I didn't particularly care for Ubud... if you're looking for a beach destination, I would consider other options in Bali or perhaps not Bali at all...

FDW
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Amankila closed? I hope that they didn't get a buyout and are trying to shift you some place else? How far into the future is this....

Amankila is the star of the Amans in Indonesia. I wouldn't recommend Amandari because I didn't particularly care for Ubud... if you're looking for a beach destination, I would consider other options in Bali or perhaps not Bali at all...

FDW
End of Feb next year. I was booked since Feb this year but just been informed once that they are closed for two weeks. What do you mean by buyout? Someone booked the entire hotel? Should I hold firm that I want to stay there only?
Old Oct 14, 2018, 7:41 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu

FDW
I agree. If Amankila isn't available, there isn't another Aman in Bali that I'd readily consider comparable. I'd either switch to Amanjiwo on Java--which we loved even more, but it isn't oceanfront--or make Aman switch you to much nicer accommodation at one of your other favorites on Bali.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

kila online blocked out >
- feb 15-28
- mar 15-16 (fri sat)
- may 24-25 (fri sat)
(mar 7 is nyepi)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 14, 2018 at 2:44 pm
Old Oct 14, 2018, 9:10 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by onlysuites
End of Feb next year. I was booked since Feb this year but just been informed once that they are closed for two weeks. What do you mean by buyout? Someone booked the entire hotel? Should I hold firm that I want to stay there only?
If you booked last Feb and they are telling you now that they won't be open (sounds indeed like a buyout), I find this unacceptable. You should definitely escalate this, as this warrants some compensation, it's not ok to just offer a switch to an inferior hotel.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 9:20 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
This Amankila February buyout shenanigan reminds me of the recent buyout nonsense pulled by Cheval Blanc Randheli in the Maldives. Without their feet being held to the fire here on FT, CBR would have behaved just as poorly. Amankila is behaving very poorly in not offering a spectacular alternative at an equally comparable and luxurious Bali resort with some partial refund on top of that. If Amankila wants to cancel a booking for the buyout for which it will profit handsomely, then Amankila needs to share that profit with those on which it cancels.

Amankila set the expectations for an Aman stay when it confirmed the booking. Now it must deliver on a suitable spectacular replacement since it chooses to not deliver on that promise. Period. End.

If this is how Aman corporate and Amanresort properties are going to handle customer service and service recovery moving forward, I do believe I’ll no longer be expecting Aman to be worth its price premium. I already avoid Aman in urban locales. At this rate, our stay at Amangiri in Jan could be our last if Aman doesn’t get its service and customer service act together.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Which other Aman resorts are local to there which I should ask them to move me to? Amanoi is comparable right?

Looked into Amanjiwo but we are a family with kids so a beach is a must.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.