test wikipost
Print Wikipost

Amanresorts Thread 2018

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:38 pm
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Sorry - I put this in the Aman Sveti Stefan thread initially. Here it is again:-

Aman are about to launch, globally, their new Aman Skincare, which is rumoured to have been manufactured by ILA.
All-black bottles and jars again, but it looks as though it is plastic this time instead of glass.
Soon to be followed by Aman Champagne, brut and rosé 😐
vuittonsofstyle and jbeans like this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Sorry - I put this in the Aman Sveti Stefan thread initially. Here it is again:-

Aman are about to launch, globally, their new Aman Skincare, which is rumoured to have been manufactured by ILA.
All-black bottles and jars again, but it looks as though it is plastic this time instead of glass.
The Russian leaves no stone unturned!
vuittonsofstyle and bhrubin like this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:09 pm

Programs: some
Originally Posted by nmuva98
Can you elaborate a bit?

I'm asking because I'm planning on doing a 3rd trip to Kila next year and am debating Kilasari vs. Indrakila (did Ocean Suites the last 2 visits). I like the infinity pool in the Kilasari suite, and from past visits walking around I would assume the view was decent given how up it is. Whereas Indrakila definitely have the much more open, ocean view.

Any details are greatly appreciated!
sorry, my bad. I meant Indrakila. Never stayed in Kilasari. Indrakila is nice but it's nothing like the Amankila suite. I wouldn't pay extra for the Indrakila suite over an oceanview room. YMMV.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:35 pm

Programs: some
Originally Posted by vienna-resident

Soon to be followed by Aman Champagne, brut and rosé 😐
brut or brute?
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by vienna-resident

Soon to be followed by Aman Champagne, brut and rosé ��
iirc , there were Aman branded cigars , Amanos ? ... pre Doronin .
Then there’s the Aman Sake at the Tokyo Aman .

Old Sep 12, 2018, 12:13 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by Fliar
sorry, my bad. I meant Indrakila. Never stayed in Kilasari. Indrakila is nice but it's nothing like the Amankila suite. I wouldn't pay extra for the Indrakila suite over an oceanview room. YMMV.
Kilasari > Indrakila if you're looknig at 1-bedroom signature villa options though. Although Indrakila is higher priced...
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:14 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
Originally Posted by bearbrick

iirc , there were Aman branded cigars , Amanos ? ... pre Doronin .
Then there’s the Aman Sake at the Tokyo Aman .
The iPad in the car on the way to Amanoi mentions the cigars and says they are made/grown on a plot of land near Amanera. Strangely that page didn't actually feature in the bar menu at the resort...
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:51 am
A4K

Programs: N/A
Originally Posted by DSI
having returned from I believe my 8th Aman, I am left with the view that the brand is overrated, overpriced and that it looks very tired. I believe that my most recent stay at the brand will be my last.

My guess is that the brand will increase commission rates for agents to drum up business.
Can you provide any details? Would obviously be helpful when making a blanket statement like that.

Im not trying to defend I felt the same way after two stays earlier this year.

A recent stay at Taka (Donald W as GM is a great host there) has sort have given me some faith again but I’m still on the fence.

Last edited by A4K; Sep 12, 2018 at 1:59 am
Old Sep 12, 2018, 3:34 am

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Originally Posted by A4K

Can you provide any details? Would obviously be helpful when making a blanket statement like that.

Im not trying to defend I felt the same way after two stays earlier this year.

A recent stay at Taka (Donald W as GM is a great host there) has sort have given me some faith again but I’m still on the fence.
My two cents from our Amandari dinner is that it was quite mediocre. Could have been any upper mid-price hotel chain from the US.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 7:10 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Well, as I mentioned, I think that the brand is overrated, overpriced and looks tired at many of their properties.

Aman over the last several years have lost key managers and there are definitely teeming problems.

Thus, why not look elsewhere? Private houses have better hard products in my opinion. I think that this forum has focused WAY, WAY too much on hackneyed choices: big box brands, predictable hotels rather than pushing travel more via renting boats and houses, and the latter is where I have been moving onto.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by DSI
Well, as I mentioned, I think that the brand is overrated, overpriced and looks tired at many of their properties.

Aman over the last several years have lost key managers and there are definitely teeming problems.

Thus, why not look elsewhere? Private houses have better hard products in my opinion. I think that this forum has focused WAY, WAY too much on hackneyed choices: big box brands, predictable hotels rather than pushing travel more via renting boats and houses, and the latter is where I have been moving onto.
I'm starting to agree with you more and more about the former. I've essentially chased Aman properties over the past two years (with 7-8 properties in two years time), but I'm not sure they're all that special anymore. We've had some amazing stays, but other non-Aman stays have been just as good (Alila Oman, FS Dubai, Le Meurice, stand out). Our Aman trips have taken us to some beautiful locations and I have no regrets, but going forward I won't actively be chasing Aman properties. That said, we'll be in Marrakech next year and will stay at Amanjena b/c to me it looks like the best option and value.

That said, we REALLY disagree about private villas. Just not for us and our lifestyle as a couple with no kids. Talk about boring. I love having people around, a fun hotel bar, etc.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 7:43 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Well, I should note that we often travel with friends and go out to bars as I consider hotel bars to be too quiet, so oddly I’m aiming for what you’re aiming but at a slightly more rowdy level. Touché!
nmuva98 and callmedtop like this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 12:01 pm

I’m at Sveti Stefan now and they have the new products in stock. Per Spa manager they received them just two weeks ago and she confirmed these are manufactured by ILA. Haven’t had a chance to try them but the bottles feel plastic and are wood grained.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 12:04 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Fc912

I’m at Sveti Stefan now and they have the new products in stock. Per Spa manager they received them just two weeks ago and she confirmed these are manufactured by ILA. Haven’t had a chance to try them but the bottles feel plastic and are wood grained.
How’s the experience at SS been so far? How is the service? Food/beverage? Are villa/suite air con units working? Any wasp issues on premises? Any groups of outside non-guests using the pool/services?
Old Sep 14, 2018, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin

How’s the experience at SS been so far? How is the service? Food/beverage? Are villa/suite air con units working? Any wasp issues on premises? Any groups of outside non-guests using the pool/services?
It has been above expectation and running at a normal Aman level actually (though I did come in not expecting much given recent reviews). They’re near 100% occupancy but everything has been running smoothly and we’ve not experienced service issues so far. We just came back from dinner at Arva and it’s very good (amazing pasta); though the culinary director for the Arva concept is on site so not sure if it’s better than normal (I did not catch his name but apparently he is based in Phuket and worked at Amanpuri back in the early 90s?). No non-guests using the pools as far as I can tell but there were probably some external guests at dinner. Service did not suffer at all though, Igor (the restaurant manager / host) was extremely attentive and friendly.
Fliar and bhrubin like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.