Old Feb 12, 2018, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IBobi
test wikipost
Print Wikipost

Amanresorts Thread 2018

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2018, 2:27 pm

Hi all - this is my first foray into this forum as a self-proclaimed Aman newbie. It's been very helpful reading through the posts on here, although it's a lot of information to take in!

I will be travelling for several months next year and had planned on visiting a few of the Aman properties in Asia, although I'm a little concerned now having read about the re-org/change in management that is underway and the other thread about an awful stay at SS where a few posters indicated that Aman's service levels are declining.

That being said which properties would you recommend for our first proper dive into Aman? (We have stayed in Aman Tokyo, although I understand this property is very different to the other resorts).

We would be open to both island getaways/escapes & beach resorts that are closer to local attraction/cuisine options. Timing wise we are pretty flexible but would obviously prefer to avoid typhoon/monsoon seasons!

Also do Aman properties have separate rates for longer stays (say 1 month+) as per some other 5* resorts & hotels?

Many thanks in advance.
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 2:37 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by abc193
Hi all - this is my first foray into this forum as a self-proclaimed Aman newbie. It's been very helpful reading through the posts on here, although it's a lot of information to take in!

I will be travelling for several months next year and had planned on visiting a few of the Aman properties in Asia, although I'm a little concerned now having read about the re-org/change in management that is underway and the other thread about an awful stay at SS where a few posters indicated that Aman's service levels are declining.

That being said which properties would you recommend for our first proper dive into Aman? (We have stayed in Aman Tokyo, although I understand this property is very different to the other resorts).

We would be open to both island getaways/escapes & beach resorts that are closer to local attraction/cuisine options. Timing wise we are pretty flexible but would obviously prefer to avoid typhoon/monsoon seasons!

Also do Aman properties have separate rates for longer stays (say 1 month+) as per some other 5* resorts & hotels?

Many thanks in advance.
Welcome!

I'm sure everyone will have a different opinion on the matter but based on my experience, I'd suggest starting with the Indonesia properties. Especially Amankila. That was our first Aman and made us fall in love with the brand (of course, things have changed a bit). Amankila still has some Aman soul. Another good one would be Amanoi. Amanoi has one of my favorite hard products within Aman. Nicholas is a pretty hands on GM and cares about guest experiences. See him out often. Same can be said about Ernst at Amankila. Also, both properties are VERY good value. Depending on your timing, nightly rates can easily start between USD 550 - USD 800, which is very good for Aman. We've had fantastic and proper Aman service at Amanjena as well, also great value depending on your timing. Amanpulo is also fantastic due to the island itself. The service can be hit or miss but when it's good, it's very good. I don't love the design of the Casitas but it will suffice, get a Beach Casita. They have 4th night free promotions, usually from late summer till end of Nov. If you're up for an one bedroom villa, #32 is fabulous! Overall, the island is just lovely and worth visiting. I actually prefer it over the Maldives. If only Amanpulo had Cheval Blanc's villas in place of its Casitas

Enjoy!
abc193 likes this.

Last edited by BESVISOR; Sep 9, 2018 at 2:52 pm
Old Sep 9, 2018, 2:46 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold

Many thanks in advance.
First, I wouldn’t just blindly assume that any Aman is going to be the best—or even your best bet. Not any longer.

Second, do you most value incredible hard product or incredible soft product (aka service and food/beverage) or both equally? Evaluating on that basis will suggest certain Aman properties over others. But it still depends on your own priorities.

Third, historically I’d steer you to one or more of the following properties that tend to offer unique locations without much or any competition from other real luxury options:

(1) Amanjiwo...if you like a spot like Borobudur Temple and/or might like Javanese culture/food, this is a no-brainer Aman with no competition.
(2) Amankila...if you want a spot in much less touristy eastern Bali, this is the place, especially if you like your own private pool accommodation.
(3) Amanoi...if you want a spectacular hard product and good soft product and enjoy a spa/ocean view retreat where you don’t do a whole lot
(4) Amanpulo...if you want spectacular white and soft sand beach holiday and stay at least in the villa category
(5) Amanwana...if (and only if) you want a get away from it all luxury tent holiday and/or love to scuba dive and/or snorkel
(6) Amanbagh...if you want an off the path luxury stay in rural India and/or want an escape from the typical urban chaos of India

And outside of Asia, there’s only one Aman I’d really recommend as being particularly amazing and unique:

(7) Amangiri...if you want to stay in the middle of nowhere in luxury but within striking distance of 1-2 hrs of some of the greatest natural wonders and natural scenery in the American West.

Though some others also may suggest outside of Asia:

(8) Amanzoe...if you want a tremendous hard product seaside escape in Greece.

Honestly, that’s about it for me. I might have suggested Amandayan in Lijiang except that it gets so little play on FlyerTalk that I’m suspicious—despite Lijiang being one of my favorite surprises of all destinations in China.
Fliar, BESVISOR and abc193 like this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Sep 9, 2018 at 5:47 pm
Old Sep 9, 2018, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Welcome!

I'm sure everyone will have a different opinion on the matter but based on my experience, I'd suggest starting with the Indonesia properties. Especially Amankila. That was our first Aman and made us fall in love with the brand (of course, things have changed a bit). Amankila still has some Aman soul. Another good one would be Amanoi. Amanoi has one of my favorite hard products within Aman. Nicholas is a pretty hands on GM and cares about guest experiences. See him out often. Same can be said about Ernst at Amankila. Also, both properties are VERY good value. Depending on your timing, nightly rates can easily start between USD 550 - USD 800, which is very good for Aman. We've had fantastic and proper Aman service at Amanjena as well, also great value depending on your timing. Amanpulo is also fantastic due to the island itself. The service can be hit or miss but when it's good, it's very good. I don't love the design of the Casitas but it will suffice, get a Beach Casita. They have 4th night free promotions, usually from late summer till end of Nov. If you're up for an one bedroom villa, #32 is fabulous! Overall, the island is just lovely and worth visiting. I actually prefer it over the Maldives. If only Amanpulo had Cheval Blanc's villas in place of its Casitas

Enjoy!
Originally Posted by bhrubin

First, I wouldn’t just blindly assume that any Aman is going to be the best—or even your best bet. Not any longer.

Second, do you most value incredible hard product or incredible soft product (aka service and food/beverage) or both equally? Evaluating on that basis will suggest certain Aman properties over others. But it still depends on your own priorities.

Third, historically I’d steer you to one or more of the following properties that tend to offer unique locations without much or any competition from other real luxury options:

(1) Amanjiwo...if you like a spot like Borobudur Temple and/or might like Javanese culture/food, this is a no-brained Aman with no competition.
(2) Amankila...if you want a spot in much less touristy eastern Bali, this is the place, especially if you like your own private pool accommodation.
(3) Amanoi...if you want a spectacular hard product and good soft product and enjoy a spa/ocean view retreat where you don’t do a whole lot
(4) Amanpulo...if you want spectacular white and soft sand beach holiday and stay at least in the villa category
(5) Amanwana...if (and only if) you want a get away from it all luxury tent holiday and/or love to scuba dive and/or snorkel
(6) Amanbagh...if you want an off the path luxury stay in rural India and/or want an escape from the typical urban chaos of India

And outside of Asia, there’s only one Aman I’d really recommend as being particularly amazing and unique:

(7) Amangiri...if you want to stay in the middle of nowhere in luxury but within striking distance of 1-2 hrs of some of the greatest natural wonders and natural scenery in the American West.

Though some others also may suggest outside of Asia:

(8) Amanzoe...if you want a tremendous hard product seaside escape in Greece.

Honestly, that’s about it for me. I might have suggested Amandayan in Lijiang except that it gets so little play on FlyerTalk that I’m suspicious—despite Lijiang being one of my favorite surprises of all destinations in China.
Thanks for your responses.

To be honest, we are not assuming that Aman will be our best choice (but it didn't feel appropriate to say that in my original post given this thread is for Aman only). We are primarily looking for some zen-like retreats for some R&R during our working travels, which was my previous impression of Aman properties.

In response to the hard product vs soft product preference, we would generally place a higher level of importance on the hard product, particularly for beach retreats. Sounds like Amanoi has the edge here! (Slightly off topic, but I have read some of your other reviews and as an example we ended up booking the Conrad in Osaka for the amazing hard product rather than RC or StR. We did adore the PG however where the service was clearly superior.)

That being said there is clearly a minimum level of service that is expected at any luxury destination, but it seems that some Aman properties are failing to meet that at the moment. In particular, given we are looking for somewhere to unwind, we would be quite irritated by staff not addressing inconveniences caused by other guests appropriately or taking the initiative in doing so (be it misbehaving children or weddings as mentioned above).

Otherwise, if there are issues with service then we would generally just deal with them as they arise and move on (although we do find it frustrating trying to communicate with staff who clearly dislike their jobs and make no effort to hide it or who can't hold a simple conversation in English).

In terms of F&B we generally try to eat off site to experience as much of the local cuisine as possible, but we do make exceptions for Michelin obviously!

Your suggestions and description are very helpful indeed. Clearly there is much research to be done still..
Old Sep 9, 2018, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by andreiz
Booked Amex FHR rate for 4 nights at Amankila end of September. Might do a day trip to Ubud, but we'll see. Other than that, are there any recommended activities at Amankila at the resort or venturing out?
I highly recommend doing a snorkeling boat trip with the Kila crew. Not only for the beautiful corals and fish in the surrounding waters, but also a very relaxing time sunbathing on the roof of the boat.
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 8:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Glob, MR Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
Originally Posted by jbeans
I highly recommend doing a snorkeling boat trip with the Kila crew. Not only for the beautiful corals and fish in the surrounding waters, but also a very relaxing time sunbathing on the roof of the boat.
Great, thank you.

Also, should I request any particular villa or not?
Old Sep 9, 2018, 8:57 pm

Programs: some
Good list. I'd add Amanfayun and Amandayan to this list.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Many thanks in advance.
I think a month at any Aman would become a little too much and boring for me, personally. I would definitely use a month to tour all the Indonesian Amans though.

Thanks for your responses.

To be honest, we are not assuming that Aman will be our best choice (but it didn't feel appropriate to say that in my original post given this thread is for Aman only). We are primarily looking for some zen-like retreats for some R&R during our working travels, which was my previous impression of Aman properties.

In terms of F&B we generally try to eat off site to experience as much of the local cuisine as possible, but we do make exceptions for Michelin obviously!

Your suggestions and description are very helpful indeed. Clearly there is much research to be done still..
Some properties you're going to have no choice but dine on the premises. Just nothing around to go dine out at.
FlyerEC and bhrubin like this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 11:52 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Great, thank you.

Depends what your budget is.

At Amankila, my favourite room is definitely the Kilasari Suite (see more here, including pics): https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk/aman...-hotel-review/

Otherwise I'd go with at least the Ocean Suite.

Not a huge fan of the pool suites unless the pool is an absolute MUST.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
I think a month at any Aman would become a little too much and boring for me, personally. I would definitely use a month to tour all the Indonesian Amans though.

Some properties you're going to have no choice but dine on the premises. Just nothing around to go dine out at.
Agreed a month would be far too long for us in one destination for a holiday! We'll also be working whilst travelling and thought it could make a good base for work purposes for a little while, but touring all the properties in Indonesia also sounds very appealing.

Re dining, we are more than happy to dine on premises when needed and I was only responding to bhrubin in terms of where our priorities generally lie. However I may well be retracting my earlier comment having looked at the dining on offer at Iniala..
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 12:59 am

Other than that, are there any recommended activities at Amankila at the resort or venturing out?
The water palace at Ujung, which was itself the inspiration for Amankila's iconic design with the layered infinity pools. Enjoy!
Old Sep 10, 2018, 8:21 am

Great, thank you.

I had the Ocean Suite and was very happy with it. I also don't think a pool is necessary, the 3-tier main pool has an amazing view and is never crowded.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 8:42 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Kila's 3-tier is obviously fabulous and iconic but we really loved the pool by the beach club as no one ever goes down there (not actually true but felt like it) and we just had it all to ourselves most of the time. Loved being able to access the beach quickly and back to the pool.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:49 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Kila's 3-tier is obviously fabulous and iconic but we really loved the pool by the beach club as no one ever goes down there (not actually true but felt like it) and we just had it all to ourselves most of the time. Loved being able to access the beach quickly and back to the pool.
I agree with you on that - bizarrely that's my favourite pool anywhere in the world. The three-tier pool is obviously gorgeous and a masterpiece of design (and very photo/Instagram friendly blah blah) but the beach club pool is very, very serene.

We weren't entirely alone in the pool - there was at least one other family (different ones each time) the whole time we were there but we enjoyed relaxing by the pool, and also ended up water polo with the family's kids.

It's also a very well-designed pool.
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 10:06 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Both pools at Kila are wonderful. But I preferred to be naked with my husband at our own private villa pool, thanks. Just as I preferred to be naked or semi-clothed at our own Borobudur pool villa at Jiwo. Or at our own Amanusa villa pool at Nusa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.