Print Wikipost

Amanresorts Thread 2018

Old Jul 17, 2018, 11:57 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Who’s the gm at amanyara these days?
Old Jul 17, 2018, 6:33 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
To see the difference between the before and after of Amanresorts, take one example at Amanpuri over the festive season. In the AZ days, many guests ordered magnums of Champagne, but they were set behind the scenes and poured discreetly. The new Aman flaunts the magnums and jeroboams on the tables.
I would argue that’s also a societal problem, not unique to the change of scene at Aman - after all many of the guests who enjoyed festive season at Amanpuri years back are still there today for festive season.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 7:32 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
To see the difference between the before and after of Amanresorts, take one example at Amanpuri over the festive season. In the AZ days, many guests ordered magnums of Champagne, but they were set behind the scenes and poured discreetly. The new Aman flaunts the magnums and jeroboams on the tables.
I'm not sure that's so representative of the difference between "before" (amazing) and "after" (very good but not always amazing). I think there were plenty of Amans serving and flaunting special occasions and events, celebrities, and accoutrements in the old day--but there wasn't social media to make it so easy to flaunt. Now, with social media, it is far easier and far more likely--both from Aman and from the guests.

I think the before "remote Zen-like retreat" ambience of Aman is what has changed. The after new urban retreat model just doesn't execute the Zen-like service despite the Zen-like hard product. And everything has flowed from there. In the old days, occupancy was much lower on average--and it was easier to execute the Zen-like ambience and high level of service. Now, occupancy is higher on average, much higher for some properties, making it harder to achieve the Zen-like ambience and service. And Aman no longer creates destinations by finding remote locations that can become spectacular; Aman more often than not is chasing the destinations now.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I think the before "remote Zen-like retreat" ambience of Aman is what has changed. The after new urban retreat model just doesn't execute the Zen-like service despite the Zen-like hard product. And everything has flowed from there.
I agree with your entire post, but this in particular calls out to me. During our time at Amanjiwo and Amankila over the past couple of weeks, I couldn’t help but think about how technology has dramatically changed the original vision of these properties. It is clearly quite intentional to not install a TV in any guest rooms (aligning with your “zen-like retreat” comment). With cell phones, laptops, mobile broadband, etc., that intended exclusion becomes moot. I’m not saying I don’t use my phone at Aman properties, but I can acknowledge that the prevalence of technology has likely changed the “zen-like” feel.
xracer, FlyerEC and bhrubin like this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 9:26 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by callmedtop
I agree with your entire post, but this in particular calls out to me.
I’m just so reassured that we’re back to being in agreement.
callmedtop likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by DSI
Who’s the gm at amanyara these days?
As of a couple of months ago, Serge Ditesheim.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by chinmoylad

I would argue that’s also a societal problem, not unique to the change of scene at Aman - after all many of the guests who enjoyed festive season at Amanpuri years back are still there today for festive season.
Actually, a large number of Amanpuri regulars are not there over the festive season these days. The guest profile has changed considerably. I also do not believe that the gratuitous display of wealth is entirely due to social media!
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

were any amans 'slow' to add internet in common areas / cellular reception ?

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
North Island...offers you wifi nowhere but your villa or the boutique...This is by design, as apparently the owner does not want it...I had no phone reception at all
would be interesting if certain hotels had periods with no internet in common areas, and possibly no cellular if they have their own tower

evolution of travel sales and marketing also factor, and likely the colony capital period if not others

guest styles change everywhere, but difference with aman is how different it was originally

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 19, 2018 at 11:12 am
Old Jul 20, 2018, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by scented
I am painfully reminded of one too many instances in which I was reassured not to worry about new ownership and regime and in due course that particular person ‘comforting’ me, after a few weeks, had left the operation as well.

Interestingly, I am of the opinion that the new owner himself does understand Amanresorts and its DNA intimately, but sadly most persons beneath him do not. It is not enough to hire the best consultants, hospitality professionals and graduates or to get simply the hungriest on board, for they will not understand Aman. This is not another lifestyle operation in which a brand is a testing ground for a 21st century transformation, it’s about the small details, the culture, humor and care. I much preferred the pitfalls of the past days, compared to soulless mass experience seminar of current ones. It’s not enough to hire best, as sometimes the merely best have no understanding of the way one communicates or welcome guests, not clients. When I hear many of the new ‘hosts’ talking, I find them comparing Amanresorts to Rolls Royce...
With every person replaced, I wonder who is left and holding up what we know so well and love? My hope is the front liners, the cooks, gardeners, guest assistants and butlers might do it, as they are the true Amanresorts, but I hope that in the thousands instances they are reminded to use guest names they do not forget hospitality from the heart. Yes we might have been amused about some ‘characters’ in the past, hires who where a little caprice and sometimes AZ saw something essential in them most would not, but the underlining thread always was a passion for hospitality and not a ‘stint’ for the CV. The eclectic have been long replaced..

The misconception is that Aman cannot be programmed, put into words... or manuals. Try to teach these armies of PR people what our stays should be all about. They are not about Instagram filters. And the best is not always the most expensive or exclusive. Yes I have seen some write “Aman is the most expensive and exclusive group in the world”. Wrong.
I miss the characters. Our last stay barely had any character at all until Joy showed up.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 1:32 pm
Suspended

With apologies, I think some might be getting carried away with misty memories from the days of old. It's beginning to sound like "Make Aman Great Again" to me, to be honest. Things change.

Aman in the days of old operated at ridiculously low occupancy. As a result, for the prices that were paid and the number of staff available, as well as excellent training and genuine interest in service, the service experience was tremendous.

Today, Aman operates at higher occupancy on average. As a result, the service experience isn't to the same standard. Go to an Aman at lower occupancy periods, though, and service can be just as wonderful.

Personalities matter, but one or two persons shouldn't a proper luxury hotel experience make.

I've also had Aman-like experiences at many non-Aman properties, even in recent years and even at high occupancy. The St Regis San Francisco. The Prince Gallery Tokyo, Suiran Kyoto. The St Regis Punta Mita. The St Regis New York. The Imperial Vienna. The Prince de Galles Paris. The Umaid Bhawan Palace Jodhpur. The Gritti Palace Venice. The St Regis Bora Bora. Singita Boulders. Did all off them not make me sign? No. Did many of them have staff that called me by name throughout my stay? Yes. Did all of them provide unbelievably good service? Yes. Did all of them go above and beyond? Yes. Did any of them make mistakes? Yes, but so has Aman. Did most of them have better food/beverage than Aman? You bet.

I sometimes think that Aman actually hasn't changed much...and the rest of the luxury market has caught up in many instances.

But the complaints about yesteryear are pointless IMO. Accept Aman for what it is, or move on to somewhere else that fits your bill. Otherwise, it's back to "Make Aman Great Again" and all that nonsense.
Fliar, xracer and United747 like this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 1:44 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Well put, though I’d quibble with the term “aman service” and say “great” service. After all, aman is not the benchmark, iniala is.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DSI
Well put, though I’d quibble with the term “aman service” and say “great” service. After all, aman is not the benchmark, iniala is.
Haha, well you may be right— but then I’ve never stayed at the one Iniala property and wouldn’t characterize any one property as an appropriate comparison benchmark. We are talking about a group of 30+ Aman properties. Iniala and other one off or “a few properties” portfolio groups are distinct IMO, much as too many would prefer to think otherwise. Iniala may be a benchmark in Asia, but until Iniala has properties in N. America and Europe, it’s not the benchmark you may wish it to be.

Just as @MacMyDay discovered that the Park Hotel Vitznau isn’t quite the same experience in peak season as off-peak season, too many Amanjunkies are realizing what has long been true that they pretended was not: occupancy matters. They also are discovering that urban Aman isn’t the same as rural/remote Aman as I said previously.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 8:28 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Aventine
Shame about the kids club. I understand it's a business and things have to change. Catering to a new type of Aman guest. *shrugs
Originally Posted by scented
I am painfully reminded of one too many instances in which I was reassured not to worry about new ownership and regime and in due course that particular person ‘comforting’ me, after a few weeks, had left the operation as well.

Interestingly, I am of the opinion that the new owner himself does understand Amanresorts and its DNA intimately, but sadly most persons beneath him do not. It is not enough to hire the best consultants, hospitality professionals and graduates or to get simply the hungriest on board, for they will not understand Aman. This is not another lifestyle operation in which a brand is a testing ground for a 21st century transformation, it’s about the small details, the culture, humor and care. I much preferred the pitfalls of the past days, compared to soulless mass experience seminar of current ones. It’s not enough to hire best, as sometimes the merely best have no understanding of the way one communicates or welcome guests, not clients. When I hear many of the new ‘hosts’ talking, I find them comparing Amanresorts to Rolls Royce...
With every person replaced, I wonder who is left and holding up what we know so well and love? My hope is the front liners, the cooks, gardeners, guest assistants and butlers might do it, as they are the true Amanresorts, but I hope that in the thousands instances they are reminded to use guest names they do not forget hospitality from the heart. Yes we might have been amused about some ‘characters’ in the past, hires who where a little caprice and sometimes AZ saw something essential in them most would not, but the underlining thread always was a passion for hospitality and not a ‘stint’ for the CV. The eclectic have been long replaced..

The misconception is that Aman cannot be programmed, put into words... or manuals. Try to teach these armies of PR people what our stays should be all about. They are not about Instagram filters. And the best is not always the most expensive or exclusive. Yes I have seen some write “Aman is the most expensive and exclusive group in the world”. Wrong.
Actually, a large number of Amanpuri regulars are not there over the festive season these days. The guest profile has changed considerably. I also do not believe that the gratuitous display of wealth is entirely due to social media!
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
were any amans 'slow' to add internet in common areas / cellular reception ?

would be interesting if certain hotels had periods with no internet in common areas, and possibly no cellular if they have their own tower

evolution of travel sales and marketing also factor, and likely the colony capital period if not others

guest styles change everywhere, but difference with aman is how different it was originally
Originally Posted by Fliar
I hate it when for the sake of modernising they turn things upside down ;-)
Agreed about modernising for the sake of it , thankfully not “ upside down “ as sometimes in FT systems . But if keeping with AMAN ethos which has been its unique trail blazing feature is priority , moving with the times is a good thing - that is the catch .
The old staff understand , newer GMs ?? . Doubt many at the HQ , RHQs since all are relatively new except for VD who as a longtime AMANjunkie & should know - imparting to others , who have no idea what those from the beginning have experienced through to more ‘ recent ‘ times , is a tall order .. another story ..

My Amanpuri TR above is still WIP ( to prevent disappearing sections from occurring , then those upside down photos on top at the preamble .. but thankfully right side up in the sections - posting has become rather complicated with the unnecessary automatic ? scrolling ) , some of the points addressed there .

Last edited by FlyerEC; Jul 23, 2018 at 7:18 pm
Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:34 pm

Would you know where the old, more discreet, crowd prefers to vacation nowadays?
Old Jul 21, 2018, 12:06 am

Programs: some
Originally Posted by FlyerEC

Agreed about modernising for the sake of it . But if keeping with AMAN ethos which has been its unique trail blazing feature is priority , moving with the times is a good thing - that is the catch .
My comment was just a (bad) joke about the upside pictures in the post on Amanpuri further up ;-)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.