FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IBobi
test wikipost
Print Wikipost

Amanresorts Thread 2018

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: some
Slightly different view here: I DO recommend one-night stands - oops, sorry: one-night stays. You get all the excitement of a new property without the huge additional cost of additional nights. I don't really feel that staying longer improves the stay that much. Having just checked out of Aman-i-Khas (Aman number 24) our excellent butler did know by day 2 how I like my coffee, but other than that, I don't see other benefits. I personally would happily change hotels to have different experiences and have been known to stay in 4 different hotels over 4 nights in the same city. But hey, I'm crazy.

I do think that 2 nights is unnecessary and that an urban Aman may not be the best introduction to a 'proper' Aman - the location is such a big part of many Amans (Jiwo, Bagh, Fayun, Giri)....having said that, I loved ASP and Aman Venice (one of my all-time favourites), as well as Aman Tokyo, so I am in the minority here who think that Amans can offer a unique experience in an urban environment, but if I had to choose, I'd probably save the money.
FlyerEC and Klems like this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Klems
@chinmoylad and @Aventine : Hoshinoya is actually a brilliant idea! For some reason I was only aware of the one in Kyoto, but the one in Tokyo seems like a great solution for everything I've been looking for (and it's slightly cheaper than Aman). I think I'll go with that .
i hope you haven’t booked Hoshinoya Tokyo yet .
if your Aman Tokyo and Hoshinoya rate is about the same then you’ll be better off at Aman - overall better facilities incld pool and generous ,well, everything incld views of Tokyo from up high - a relaxing place - Which you’ll want after all that hiking .

Hoshinoya is indeed a unique experience in Tokyo but you’ll soon find that it’s like being ensconce in a cage , no matter how gilded , it felt claustrophobic and a little too “ formal” for me . The only relaxing facility was the onsen in the rooftop with views of the skies and the room. No city views at all , other than the building next door. My only fun time there was going outside the hotel to the Family mart convenience store , carrying all my goods in bags dressed in the Japanese gear they supply in the cupboard . Staff is young and attentive and ok but not distinctive nor memorable.

aman would be a better value proposition as it were in terms of facilities and environment overall but of course not a city ryokan experience.
Aman Tokyo is not my ideal Aman in many ways , but if you were to pay about the same price , you’ll be better off at Aman.

However Andaz , Capitol even Palace are good alternatives with pools .
Just stayed at the new Hyatt Centric Ginza , no pool , but very good location . ( except they forgot my early wake up call )

more $$$ for your Future Aman kitty .

just saying .

Klems and bhrubin like this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 3:33 pm

You guys are really not making this easy on me !

Thanks @Fliar for your opinion, this is very helpful and thanks @bearbrick for the insights about Hoshinoya. One of my fears, based on the pictures, is indeed the lack of views and lights. And it does look rather formal, but I don’t mind too much.

So after re-hashing everyone’s comments, I think that I will stay at Aman Tokyo after all, but just for my final night. Reason is that some of you have confirmed that for relaxation purposes it would really work, and that it’s just beautiful. That’s what matters to me most.

About the service and food being sub-par, especially compared to other Aman properties, at this point it is less important to me because 1) having never stayed at another Aman, I won’t be able to compare it with anything so I can’t get mad about it being not as good, and 2) since it is for a very short stay, whether it is 1 or 2 nights, I wouldn’t really be able to fully appreciate the service anyway (as many pointed out).

And even if things turn out really disappointing, now I’m fully aware that other Aman properties are better. Plus after reading this thread I’m actually getting really excited to organize a proper vacation in a non-city Aman .

As for the previous night or 2, I’ll save a little money and I’ll probably still give Hoshinoya a chance since it looks quite unique for a city hotel (plus they have a 30% discount for single occupancy).

I’ll sleep on it and decide for sure tomorrow, and hoping I won't change my mind again (although I do have pretty awesome problems, to be fair ).
Old Mar 28, 2018, 8:09 am

You guys are really not making this easy on me !

Thanks @Fliar for your opinion, this is very helpful and thanks @bearbrick for the insights about Hoshinoya. One of my fears, based on the pictures, is indeed the lack of views and lights. And it does look rather formal, but I don’t mind too much.

So after re-hashing everyone’s comments, I think that I will stay at Aman Tokyo after all, but just for my final night. Reason is that some of you have confirmed that for relaxation purposes it would really work, and that it’s just beautiful. That’s what matters to me most.

About the service and food being sub-par, especially compared to other Aman properties, at this point it is less important to me because 1) having never stayed at another Aman, I won’t be able to compare it with anything so I can’t get mad about it being not as good, and 2) since it is for a very short stay, whether it is 1 or 2 nights, I wouldn’t really be able to fully appreciate the service anyway (as many pointed out).

And even if things turn out really disappointing, now I’m fully aware that other Aman properties are better. Plus after reading this thread I’m actually getting really excited to organize a proper vacation in a non-city Aman .

As for the previous night or 2, I’ll save a little money and I’ll probably still give Hoshinoya a chance since it looks quite unique for a city hotel (plus they have a 30% discount for single occupancy).

I’ll sleep on it and decide for sure tomorrow, and hoping I won't change my mind again (although I do have pretty awesome problems, to be fair ).
My wife and I did one night at Aman Tokyo for our honeymoon and I recommend a one nighter as well. We stayed at the RC Tokyo for three nights, left to the IZU Peninsula to stay one night at Asaba, and then went back to Tokyo, stayed one night at Aman, and then left Japan the next day. I actually think for the price one night is the perfect amount of time to enjoy Aman. From my experience Aman Tokyo is not the kind of location where everyone will know your name in the kind of way some people have talked about other Amans. In my opinion what makes Aman Tokyo shine is the hard product, the spa, and the afternoon tea. All of which can be done in one day. If you do decide to go with Aman, make sure you reach out to them beforehand and have them come and pick up your luggage from whatever other hotel you are staying at. We did this while we were staying at the RC. We spoke with RC, and just left our luggage in the room after checking out, took a small carry on to Asaba, and upon arriving at Aman, all our luggage was neatly placed in our room.
FlyerEC, Klems and bhrubin like this.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 2:54 pm

Alright so one night at Aman Tokyo it is (thanks @Anlun for making me feel more confident about this) , and the 2 nights prior at Hoshinoya! Although I'm not sure I'll ask Aman to pick up my luggage as both hotels are just a mere 4 minutes walk apart... I think it's a good compromise, I'll get to try very different new experiences, and yes I am spending more money than I was planning on but whatever. Gotta live it up sometimes!
Thanks again everyone who helped me planning this, and I'll make it a mission to visit at least one other (non city) Aman property this year .
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic
Although I'm not sure I'll ask Aman to pick up my luggage as both hotels are just a mere 4 minutes walk apart...
They’ve picked up my luggage from Palace Hotel before, which is really close. It did take them 4 hours after I checked in because they needed to get a car, etc, so I kind of regretted not rolling it down the street myself. But, I was with a newborn so we had our hands full at that time!
Klems likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Alright so one night at Aman Tokyo it is (thanks @Anlun for making me feel more confident about this) , and the 2 nights prior at Hoshinoya! Although I'm not sure I'll ask Aman to pick up my luggage as both hotels are just a mere 4 minutes walk apart... I think it's a good compromise, I'll get to try very different new experiences, and yes I am spending more money than I was planning on but whatever. Gotta live it up sometimes!
Thanks again everyone who helped me planning this, and I'll make it a mission to visit at least one other (non city) Aman property this year .
Don't feel bad to make them work. You're paying top dollar and should receive that kind of treatment.
FlyerEC, Klems and bhrubin like this.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
Don't feel bad to make them work. You're paying top dollar and should receive that kind of treatment.
Agreed. You're already paying a large sum of money, may as well get as much out of it as you can.
Klems likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 8:18 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Anlun
Agreed. You're already paying a large sum of money, may as well get as much out of it as you can.
Aman ( service ) is where you can and are ‘ expected ‘ to ask for literally anything , within legal means Nothing - no requests - really shocks or surprises teams at any Amans .
Even if it is a minute walk , have Aman assist , you never know what you can / may encounter in between . They will only be too pleased to help .
Welcome to the Aman life
Klems likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 11:13 pm

Corporate Events at Amanresorts

I just came across this bit of news that Omega had a corporate event at Amanpulo https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/n...a-at-amanpulo/
I wish it were a bad April Fool's joke but it's not.

Could I ask if this is normal practice and how the rest of you feel about this?
Amanpulo was the first Aman that I visited and what started my love for the brand and their philosophy. Aman for me means exclusivity and the "residential" feel of being the guest of a friend with resources rather than of a big corporate entity. In the past, I'd always find only like-minded travelers who placed premiums on privacy and discretion. That's the main reason I would choose them over a nearby Four Seasons, which would almost always be able to provide everything else at the same level.

To find out that they now celebrate product launches where media personalities (and social media influencers ) are invited and handed out press kits is very disappointing. It feels completely off and now removes what I thought was a key differentiating factor.

In addition, why Omega? Don't brands usually associate with "likes."
The hierarchy of luxury hotel groupings established in this forum goes
Aman, FS
Oetker, Belmond, etc.
Shangri-la, Intercontinental

Correspondingly, the Swatch Group brands go
Breguet
Blancpain
Omega

If you flip through the Four Seasons Magazine, you'll always run into ads for Patek Philippe. Since they both claim and are widely acknowledged as being at the top of the pyramid, it makes sense.
I believe that brand association with Omega devalues Aman. Brilliant move of course for Omega's executives who are able to raise themselves but shouldn't there be some restriction here?
Old Apr 1, 2018, 12:11 am
A4K

Programs: N/A
This maybe should be in the dedicated Aman thread.

The brand has changed a lot with the new ownership. After a few not so great stays it has personally drawn me away from the brand. They are trying to attract the everyday luxury traveler which is very different from what their strategy was when under AZ.

I certainly do not blame them, they are a business. It is sad to people like me who have seen the brand at its best, but all good things but come to an end.
behuman and FlyerEC like this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Not surprising they would take any buyout or junket offers. It's even more of a business than before.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 2:36 am

there is nothing wrong as long as its a buyout.
ridefar likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 6:10 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Please I don’t think that an association devalues the brand... but maybe that’s because I’m an Omega wearer. It’s not like they are hosting Timex or anything. But then again I’ve always thought that Aman went to pot once I started becoming a guest. Plus this isn’t the first time that there are corporate associations. Pretty sure Victoria Secret has done many publicity shoots at Amanyara and I would argue that VS occupies the bottom of the barrel in the pantheon of lingerie. I would argue that their association with Toyota cars at Amanoi and Indonesian Aman also damage the brand more than Onega... or the Keurig coffee maker (since replaced) at Amangiri but I digress.

Amanyara also hosted a group of auto dealers when I was there. That’s in my eyes was waaaay more damaging because they were loud and looking to drink and party. But maybe I’m just a fuddy Duddy.

Fdw
Old Apr 1, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Does anybody have current names and email for GMs at Amantaka and Amanoi. PM would be lovely if you do. TIA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.