test wikipost
Print Wikipost

Amanresorts Thread 2018

Old Mar 17, 2018, 2:39 am

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Did any of you receive this ?
‘ Aman is pleased to invite you to the Amanyangyun Grand Opening Celebrations ‘
Yes, we will probably be there. Perhaps meet some FTers?
Old Mar 17, 2018, 9:48 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Altocumulus
Yes, we will probably be there. Perhaps meet some FTers?
Originally Posted by Musken
Yes, I got it. A pity that they did not offer to pay for my flight as well. :-D
Not only for flights , on first - AMAN could even have arranged private jets for / from some cities or at least get special airfares .. besides the complete accommodations at AmanYY

We are double/ triple booked that day - have been for a year .
Wait for details & decide then , if worth the trip & how to work around the times . Tricky though at this point .
Particularly if one still has doubts about the GM ..
Old Mar 23, 2018, 8:50 am

Hi guys! This is my first post in this section of the forum, and I was going to create a new thread but it looks like this one might be best (mods feel free to create a new thread if that's not the case).

I have never stayed at an Aman property before, but that will change in May as I booked myself for 2 nights at Aman Tokyo. I booked through Amex FHR so I could get free breakfast, noon check in, 4pm checkout, resort credit, maybe room upgrade etc.

However, after doing further research, it looks like Aman Tokyo is one of the Aman that gets the most "negative" reviews, especially when it comes to service which seems to be nowhere near some of its counterparts, and not so great food.

As this represents a big financial commitment for me, I was wondering the following: do you guys think 2 nights is worth it, or is 1 night enough and I can re-invest some of the saved money in a room upgrade or something else? Again, since I'm booking through Amex FHR, I should get noon check in and I get 4pm checkout guaranteed, so I should be able to nicely maximize the time spent there even with just one night.
Appreciate the honest insights, and hopefully will be able to visit more properties in a near future .
Old Mar 23, 2018, 9:21 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by Klems
Hi guys! This is my first post in this section of the forum, and I was going to create a new thread but it looks like this one might be best (mods feel free to create a new thread if that's not the case).

I have never stayed at an Aman property before, but that will change in May as I booked myself for 2 nights at Aman Tokyo. I booked through Amex FHR so I could get free breakfast, noon check in, 4pm checkout, resort credit, maybe room upgrade etc.

However, after doing further research, it looks like Aman Tokyo is one of the Aman that gets the most "negative" reviews, especially when it comes to service which seems to be nowhere near some of its counterparts, and not so great food.

As this represents a big financial commitment for me, I was wondering the following: do you guys think 2 nights is worth it, or is 1 night enough and I can re-invest some of the saved money in a room upgrade or something else? Again, since I'm booking through Amex FHR, I should get noon check in and I get 4pm checkout guaranteed, so I should be able to nicely maximize the time spent there even with just one night.
Appreciate the honest insights, and hopefully will be able to visit more properties in a near future .
It's not really the best representation of an Aman, even with the recent improvements at Aman Tokyo re: service standards overall.

There are many nice Tokyo hotels at much better prices - stay somewhere else, and use the money to go to an Aman that really provides the experience for more nights...Amankila, Aman Bhutan, Amanjiwo etc.
Klems likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
It's not really the best representation of an Aman, even with the recent improvements at Aman Tokyo re: service standards overall.
There are many nice Tokyo hotels at much better prices - stay somewhere else, and use the money to go to an Aman that really provides the experience for more nights...Amankila, Aman Bhutan, Amanjiwo etc.
Thanks for the input chinmoylad! Really appreciate it. I think I'll still stay there for one night so I can cross it off my bucket list, and I'll know that if I love it, other properties will only be up from that point . But I'll definitely cut the 2nd night out and stay somewhere else, probably even on points. I'll keep the savings for another Aman as you suggested - Amangiri has also been on my bucket list as it looks ridiculously gorgeous, even if the prices are way up there compared to Aman Tokyo for instance.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
I have never stayed at an Aman property before, but that will change in May as I booked myself for 2 nights at Aman Tokyo.
You'd be far better off spending less money elsewhere, especially since this would be your first Aman. Tokyo has many good hotels. Those of us who have been to many Amans are having a fairly heated discussion as to whether the city-located hotels even count as an 'Aman'. I argue they don't and that includes Aman Summer Palace. ASP is more a museum than a hotel. I have (very) low expectations for NYC.

I'd certainly take a look at it when you are in Tokyo. Aman Tokyo is walking distance from the Tokyo MRT station. Note that the entrance is hard to find. But go up to the lobby, wander around to get a feel for it and have a drink at the bar. I didn't find the food, or the service, very good, but my stay was only a few months after opening.
Klems and bhrubin like this.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 11:51 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold

If you easily can afford it, go for it. If it’s in any way a stretch or pushing boundaries, I would recommend saving your first Aman experience for a more remote Aman property in a more unique setting that has no peer or much less competition from other luxury hotels. Tokyo has plenty of excellent luxury options, so I’m not sure Aman is (1) your best bang for your buck or (2) the best example of what makes Aman so special.

FWIW, we love Aman—and we’ve been to 10 Aman properties, most recently Amanbagh in rural India in Jan 2017 and Amangiri in remote Utah in April 2015. But we aren’t fans of Aman in cities. We actually will be in Tokyo in May but chose another hotel (Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho) for better cost/benefit. We just aren’t fans of the Aman experience in urban environments; we don’t think it’s worth the premium in such urban environments where there is less tranquility and where any luxury hotel can largely serve your needs and often provide an excellent experience. The value-add just isn’t there for us in such locations. We chose similarly in Sept 2016 when we stayed at the Gritti Palace over Aman Venice. We stayed at the Aman Summer Palace in Beijing in May 2012, and we would not choose to stay there again.
Klems likes this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Mar 23, 2018 at 1:16 pm
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:44 pm

Thank you @mike_la_jolla and @bhrubin for the additional advice - looks like everyone has a very similar opinion .

As I will be bouncing around in Japan, I already have nights booked at the Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho and the Andaz as well the week before (all on points!), so I think I'll just do what I mentioned in an earlier post and stay at Aman for one night only instead of 2. I can definitely afford one night, especially since most of my vacation is points funded, and I'll commit to put the price difference towards an "Aman Fund" that I can use for stays in some of the better, non-city locations .

@bhrubin how did you like Amangiri?
Old Mar 23, 2018, 1:21 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Thank you @mike_la_jolla and @bhrubin for the additional advice - looks like everyone has a very similar opinion .[left]
As I will be bouncing around in Japan, I already have nights booked at the Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho and the Andaz as well the week before (all on points!), so I think I'll just do what I mentioned in an earlier post and stay at Aman for one night only instead of 2. I can definitely afford one night, especially since most of my vacation is points funded, and I'll commit to put the price difference towards an "Aman Fund" that I can use for stays in some of the better, non-city locations .
You will be wasting your money with a 1 night stay at an Aman (or most other luxury hotels of that ilk). Your Aman service experience is a lot about the hotel and staff getting to know you, learning your preferences, and making things happen for you based on that familiarity, etc., none of which will happen with such a short stay.

You’re better of doing what I do: head over to check it out for lunch or dinner or tea while staying elsewhere. We had lunch at the Aman Venice while staying at the Gritti. We are going to have tea at the Aman Tokyo while staying at the Prince Gallery.

You’re trying to force it. That’s always a bad idea IMO. The Aman Tokyo will be ready and waiting for you whenever you have the time to do a proper stay. Though I’d never choose to stay at that Aman.

We loved it. I had our stay wrongly listed as 2016; it was April 2015. Here is my expert review:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...pril-2015-1236

We have been talking about returning in 2019. We have too many other trips planned for 2018.
Klems likes this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Mar 23, 2018 at 2:52 pm
Old Mar 23, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bhrubin
[left]

You will be wasting your money with a 1 night stay at an Aman (or most other luxury hotels of that ilk). Your Aman service experience is a lot about the hotel and staff getting to know you, learning your preferences, and making things happen for you based on that familiarity, etc., none of which will happen with such a short stay.
I agree. I enjoyed my stay at Aman tokyo relative to other Tokyo hotels, but it is not the type of Aman that has led to such a following. that being said, any Aman gets better the longer you can stay there. To only stay there one night would not deliver this benefit. Also, I am not sure what your plans are in Tokyo, but the Aman is in a deadzone at night, which is not that fun
Old Mar 23, 2018, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Thank you @mike_la_jolla and @bhrubin for the additional advice - looks like everyone has a very similar opinion .

I'll echo what others have said. A one night stay isn't worth it and Aman Tokyo isn't worth moving from Andaz or PG Kioicho. I dislike moving hotels in general but that's just me. Once would be enough! It will probably end up being your middle of the road, good but not great stay. You'll be dazzled by the Aman Tokyo lobby, pool, spa areas but other things won't be like a true Aman experience. Put that money into a SE Asia Aman experience fund!
Old Mar 23, 2018, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Originally Posted by uclabruin82
I agree. I enjoyed my stay at Aman tokyo relative to other Tokyo hotels, but it is not the type of Aman that has led to such a following. that being said, any Aman gets better the longer you can stay there. To only stay there one night would not deliver this benefit. Also, I am not sure what your plans are in Tokyo, but the Aman is in a deadzone at night, which is not that fun
Originally Posted by Aventine
I'll echo what others have said. A one night stay isn't worth it and Aman Tokyo isn't worth moving from Andaz or PG Kioicho. I dislike moving hotels in general but that's just me. Once would be enough! It will probably end up being your middle of the road, good but not great stay. You'll be dazzled by the Aman Tokyo lobby, pool, spa areas but other things won't be like a true Aman experience. Put that money into a SE Asia Aman experience fund!
With such unanimous voices, I guess that I have no choice but to surrender .
I'll probably cancel my plan and look for other options, maybe a nice ryokan or independant hotel since other big chain options look rather cookie cutter (honestly judging by the pictures, properties such as the MO, RC, Peninsula etc all kind of look alike) , or even borderline decrepit (Park Hyatt anyone?).

One important thing that I should have mentioned is that despite the service or food that might be lacking at Aman, I was mostly attracted to it because the rooms look absolutely incredible and that is my #1 criteria, for all the intent and purposes of that stay, which is doing nothing and lounging after a long adventure.

@bhrubin thanks again for the insights, and for pointing me to your Amangiri review - looks fab .

@uclabruin82 the area is not a huge deal for me at that point; I'll be at the very end of a nearly 3 weeks trip hiking across Japan so all I want really is a spacious, luxurious, quiet room to unwind in. I'm not really planning on gallivanting around the city, let alone going out at night.

@Aventine I absolutely agree with you, I also don't like switching hotels if I'm staying in the same location. But the Andaz and PG will be when I arrive in Japan before starting my trek, while this is for the very end.

So I'm gonna go finish my planning, and start my Aman Fund right away .
And again I really appreciate you all chiming in .
Old Mar 23, 2018, 8:16 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
I haven't tried it - I don't know anyone who has - and it may be going down the Aman (unique experience) at a city route again, but if you really, really, really, really want to try something different WITHIN Tokyo itself try Hoshinoya and give us a review! Or perhaps the Hoshinoya nearby at Mount Fuji. Looks interesting anyway.

Completely agree on the whole - moving hotels for 1 night for Aman Tokyo simply isn't worth it. Like @Aventine, I try to avoid moving hotels as much as possible, especially for anything under a 2 or even 3 night stay. So if you're looking at a 3-4 night Aman stay (can you afford it?) and is it the best value for money? I'd put that money into more food etc!

I've had a guest (long time friends, recently married) itching to go to Aman for a while now after I wouldn't shut up about it and how they should go to one - they can more than afford it, but they, despite my best explanations, picked Aman Tokyo to be their first Aman. Their stay was wonderful and they really loved it but they failed to see what premium value Aman brings over the other hotels in the city (they're Tokyo regulars) other than the nice pool, lobby and big/beautiful rooms (especially since they have corporate rates and/or loyalty points at Andaz, Hyatt, SPG etc).

To really experience an Aman, don't do 1 night. And don't do a city Aman.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

With such unanimous voices, I guess that I have no choice but to surrender .
I'll probably cancel my plan and look for other options, maybe a nice ryokan or independant hotel since other big chain options look rather cookie cutter (honestly judging by the pictures, properties such as the MO, RC, Peninsula etc all kind of look alike) , or even borderline decrepit (Park Hyatt anyone?).

One important thing that I should have mentioned is that despite the service or food that might be lacking at Aman, I was mostly attracted to it because the rooms look absolutely incredible and that is my #1 criteria, for all the intent and purposes of that stay, which is doing nothing and lounging after a long adventure.

@bhrubin thanks again for the insights, and for pointing me to your Amangiri review - looks fab .

@uclabruin82 the area is not a huge deal for me at that point; I'll be at the very end of a nearly 3 weeks trip hiking across Japan so all I want really is a spacious, luxurious, quiet room to unwind in. I'm not really planning on gallivanting around the city, let alone going out at night.

@Aventine I absolutely agree with you, I also don't like switching hotels if I'm staying in the same location. But the Andaz and PG will be when I arrive in Japan before starting my trek, while this is for the very end.

So I'm gonna go finish my planning, and start my Aman Fund right away .
And again I really appreciate you all chiming in .
Since Aman would have been your last stop and you don't care about going out then I would now recommend it. Lounging by the pool cannot be beat in Tokyo for scenery and tranquility. Often, you will be by yourself too. It's an amazing experience to have it ALL for you. Or I would second Hoshinoya for a distinctive experience in Tokyo.
Klems likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 10:58 am

@chinmoylad and @Aventine : Hoshinoya is actually a brilliant idea! For some reason I was only aware of the one in Kyoto, but the one in Tokyo seems like a great solution for everything I've been looking for (and it's slightly cheaper than Aman). I think I'll go with that .
bhrubin likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.